Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 AM

34 posts, read 86,815 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, long time reader of this great site, first time poster.
I need your wisdom and advice.

After sitting out on the past housing boom and living through the recent financial crisis, my family and I decided to pull the trigger and move to Syosset.
I work for a financial firm (not GS, thankfully) in downtown NYC, wife works as a nurse in Queens and we have three kids (8,4 and 2).
After a long search and consideration (distance to work, quality of schools, quality of life, neighborhood, diversity, cost etc) we finally decided on Syosset and found a place with which we will to go contract shortly.
Reading the forums here have really helped us get the kind of details that we would not have been able to get, unless we had friends living in the areas that we were looking at. Thank you Citi-Data.

As this will be the first time move to the suburbs and to a 'non apartment' housing for all of us, I must admit that we're a little apprehensive over the upcoming move.
I would really appreciate any information and advice that could help us in our pending move to Syosset. Since I'm the person that likes to 'sweat the details' any help that you can provide will ease my worries.

Thanks and have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Congratulations! Great choice.

What exactly do you want to know? I am not really sure what aspects of the move you are asking us for assistance on.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Yes, like pp said - tell us what exactly you are worried about, and we'll try to ease your fears. Syosset is a great area, for starters!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Congratulations! Great choice.

What exactly do you want to know? I am not really sure what aspects of the move you are asking us for assistance on.
Should have been more specific.

I would like to ask for assistance on things like:

-kids afterschool activities and sporting groups (soccer, swimming)
-family activities that won't break the bank
-neighborhood associations and groups that we should look into joining
-resources for folks moving into the new house/area
-best pizza in the area (delivery would be a plus)
-common mistakes new home buyers make
-inside scoop on things related to Syosset
-a good landscaper
-an honest auto mechanic in the area

and how to lower my new very real, real estate taxes....

Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salaryman View Post
and how to lower my new very real, real estate taxes....
Move away!!! Seriously though, I hope you can afford the taxes because lowering them in any way is highly unlikely. Syosset, along with many other areas of Long Isand, is a nice place to live...if you've got a high salary to accompany it. Good Luck in your new home.

Last edited by GPC; 04-28-2010 at 07:37 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM

You're living in the Town of Oyster Bay, I believe (cue Walter) so that entitles you to lots of great parks. There is a TOB golf course right on the corner of Jericho and Southwoods right and just west of there on the other side of Jericho is Syosset-Woodbury Community Park. I think they have a pool, playground, etc there.

You're probably going to need someone from Syosset to give you specifics on kids' activities and so on - your neighbors will probably be a great resource for answering those questions.

If Syosset has a Welcome Wagon type organization they will probably leave you some goodies with coupons, etc when you move in (my guess is Syosset does have something like this).

As far as pizza, etc - depends on where you are in Syosset - that area is fairly spread out.

Forget about lowering your taxes unless you are absolutely crazily over assessed (like they are counting a BR that doesn't exist or something). You CAN count on them going up every year though.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're living in the Town of Oyster Bay, I believe (cue Walter) so that entitles you to lots of great parks. There is a TOB golf course right on the corner of Jericho and Southwoods right and just west of there on the other side of Jericho is Syosset-Woodbury Community Park. I think they have a pool, playground, etc there.

You're probably going to need someone from Syosset to give you specifics on kids' activities and so on - your neighbors will probably be a great resource for answering those questions.

If Syosset has a Welcome Wagon type organization they will probably leave you some goodies with coupons, etc when you move in (my guess is Syosset does have something like this).

As far as pizza, etc - depends on where you are in Syosset - that area is fairly spread out.

Forget about lowering your taxes unless you are absolutely crazily over assessed (like they are counting a BR that doesn't exist or something). You CAN count on them going up every year though.
Golf and Park, got it.
Taxes are something that I guess I have to get used to. Last year's taxes were 11k, which seemed to be the norm for the area.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
11k taxes in Syosset is a steal. That should have made you feel better. If you can afford the taxes, then its a great area. Everyone I know who live there are highly educated. Enjoy your excellent schools and your new neighborhood !!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM

$11K not bad. I don't think you'd get them lowered, honestly. Good schools, good location - console yourself with that, LOL.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
$11K not bad. I don't think you'd get them lowered, honestly. Good schools, good location - console yourself with that, LOL.
I was thinking the same thing. Isn't it sad when $11K isn't considered that bad?! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island