Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM

181 posts, read 444,757 times

Advertisements

Trying to find a bigger place to live with my SO but not sure we're ready for the committment of buying a house that would most likely require a lot of work in the beginning (our income isn't that high). So we've decided to investigate some Co-ops and Condos. Many of these are way overpriced except for some 55+ communities. Yet we stumbled across Fisherman's Wharf in babylon via a few websites and it seems to be a solid deal...affordable, not 55+, decent space, has amenities, good location (I take the Babylon LIRR), they are co-ops which isn't as good as condos, but that seems to be it...but I haven't really seen it discussed on this forum...so wanted to put it out there - do you know of anyone who has looked at these properties or lived here?

Despite the lack of affordable housing on this island, I'm hoping we can catch a break sooner or later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,343 times
You dont want to go to Fishermans wharf. Too much politics. The maintenance is higher than most co-ops you will look
at. There's pending lawsuits against them. So some banks will not even give you the loan.
There has been corruptions within the board who have serious liberties with money and just basic wrong doing.
If you have to get a repair done that the community has to pay for, it might take a long time for them to fix it.

On top of that, Barrier Beach who is their Management Company, has a habit of not responding to messages. If you google them people has complained about them that they are not the easiest people to deal with. They will make it impossible
to get things done and will drag things along so they don't have to repair/pay for things.

Fisherman' wharf might look nice on the outside, inside different story.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyles1 View Post
You dont want to go to Fishermans wharf. Too much politics. The maintenance is higher than most co-ops you will look
at. There's pending lawsuits against them. So some banks will not even give you the loan.
There has been corruptions within the board who have serious liberties with money and just basic wrong doing.
If you have to get a repair done that the community has to pay for, it might take a long time for them to fix it.

On top of that, Barrier Beach who is their Management Company, has a habit of not responding to messages. If you google them people has complained about them that they are not the easiest people to deal with. They will make it impossible
to get things done and will drag things along so they don't have to repair/pay for things.

Fisherman' wharf might look nice on the outside, inside different story.
Funny Yacht Club in Island Park uses Barrier Beach and they like them.

For non-board members most condos or coops try to limit regular folks from calling mgt company all the time as it runs up the fees. They like them to just put a work order in online or leave one message. Some old folk have the mgt company on speed dial and even worse renters call instead of owners

Old 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
Updating this thread... January 2022

As of January 2022, Fisherman's Wharf in West Babylon has no pending legal actions.

Fisherman's Wharf continues to be a beautiful and financially stable co-op community and solid real estate investment

The maintenance costs cover the operational needs of the community which also include amenities such as a pool, tennis courts, fitness room, community lounge, picturesque lake and gorgeous gardens around the property.

Downtown Babylon is just east and an easy one-mile walk, jog or bike ride where you will pass trails leading to Southard's Pond and Belmont Lake to the north or Argyle Lake and the bay to the south.

LIRR service from Babylon to NYC or Montauk makes a commute or a trip that much easier. (We often call an Uber to pick us up at the bagel shop on the corner!)

Currently, the property management company for Fisherman's Wharf is Accredited Property Management (APM) a subsidiary of EBMG, LLC.

As a current owner and shareholder since 2014, I felt the need to clarify and update this dead thread to dispel any rumors or misinformation that may be misconstrued.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^ Looks like someone is selling? lol.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,854 times
UPDATE DECEMBER 2022 BUYER BEWARE!

This property may look beautiful and seem too good to be true, because it is! I purchased all cash in October 2021 and have been having non-stop issues with the board ever since. This review is being posted in December of 2022, so come next election things could change. However, the current board is made up of two residents who have been running the property for about 6 years now in addition to two new people. The "senior" board members are using their positions to forward their own interests and do not care about the other shareholders. They bully and intimidate anyone who goes against their "status quo". I have been slandered to the community and ostracized for speaking out against the bad mortgage they just took out. I have also been cursed out more than once by a board member who repeatedly breaks the house rules as they feel they are above them. The board will actually go so far as to pass new rules without any input from shareholders when they see something they do not like. For example, the current president has an issue with retractable dog leashes, so he banned them. This place is in debt and the board has no plans to raise revenue or make any improvements that will raise this property value. The board have also been caught lying to shareholders. For example, the president told everyone in an open shareholder meeting on 9/13/1022 that the Town of Babylon denied our request for a private dog park. According to the town no plans were ever submitted, but if they were it would have been approved as other communities have done the same in Babylon township. I have this in writing.

Save yourself the headache!

Old 12-14-2022, 10:02 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
^Sounds like this was written by a disgruntled dog owner.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:54 PM

411 posts, read 288,904 times
Nice pun with the thread title.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
Coney
You might be into something!

Old 12-28-2022, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
^Sounds like this was written by a disgruntled dog owner.
Even if I am, that does not take away from the fact that I am a current shareholder with vested interests in the entire property and the business of running said property. This place is advertised as being dog friendly but that is clearly just another misrepresentation to try and attract more interest and increase property value.

Sounds like you’re trying to discredit my statement over irrelevant issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island