Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:37 PM

35 posts, read 65,435 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine and I were talking about NYC. Being from Brooklyn, I am partial, but moved upstate for school.

We were discussing those who live in NYC versus those on Long Island, specifically Nassau.

What many don't realize in NYC is that NYC residents pay the resident tax that could be a few thousand dollars at the end of the year. With Nassau so close to the City, one could not only avoid that tax, but probably rent an entire house for the price of a one bedroom in Brooklyn. Granted, homeowners get hit with heavy property taxes on the Island, but just speaking from the renter's perspective. Plus, commuting isn't all that bad, some would say. Depending where, a trip into Midtown may be quicker than some subway rides.

Thoughts about living in LI and commuting to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:54 PM

49 posts, read 58,151 times
We are doing it and I don't think the commute is bad at all. We live in Massapequa and are on the Babylon train line. Express train gets me to Penn in about 45 minutes. I work downtown so I peg on about an extra 25 minutes for the express train to Wall Street then I'm a 5 minute walk.

Honestly I know people who live in queens that have commutes longer than I do.

Removing the NYC tax saved us a few grand so we are netting extra money in our checks but obviously now have to pay property taxes which are high. For us its totally worth it though.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Depends where in Manhattan. It would be simple to LIRR to Penn and walk from there, but even a stop or two on the A,C,E afterward would be easy. Someone coming from Brooklyn may have it tougher than that, especially with all the stops and transfers.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM

732 posts, read 883,909 times
You should also know that you will be paying 320+ for the LIRR monthly pass and another $100 for subway card (if required) which is easily 400+ a month for transportation.

I used to live in Elmhurst before and to get to work, it too about 1 hour door to door.
I live in Garden City now and it's 1 hour 10 minutes door to door.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 PM

629 posts, read 963,076 times
As much as people complain about the LIRR, I pretty much got a seat 95% of the time going into and out of NYC. I can't say the same about the subway.

My commute from Bellerose, Queens was definitely worse in time and comfort than my commute was from the Westbury LIRR. Heck, my commute on the LIRR wasn't that much longer than my co-worker's commute to Whitestone from midtown.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:21 PM

138 posts, read 379,369 times
We used to live in Whitestone and after moving out to LI (Valley Stream Gibson station), we were able to knock off 20 minutes from our commute each way. The ride is much more pleasant but way more expensive. Where we are now paying higher property tax, this is offset by the NYC income tax were are saving for moving out of the city.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
I don't commute on a daily basis, but I still have to do it often for work. I usually take the Babylon line and it's relatively painless.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:16 AM

I know the LIRR pass is more expensive, but you all seem to hit the points right on the head. You pay more, but it may be more convenient, it's cleaner, and you often get a seat.

In my view, for someone who wanted a little more (i.e., a house or even larger apartment), but still wanted to be close to NYC, Nassau is a good call.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
I live in Western Nassau and I commute to the city everyday. It takes me about an hour and ten minutes (or less) door to door. I walk to the train station from my house which is about 10 minutes, the train ride is about 30-35 minutes and its another 20-25 minutes to walk to my office. I don't have a metro card so I save there. It costs me $252 a month for the monthly LIRR pass.
When I lived in Bay Ridge it would take me about 50 mins to an hour door to door. That required dealing with the nasty NYC subway and rude/pushy people. I hardly ever got a seat and had to deal with constant delays. I don't miss that filthy subway one bit.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I live in Western Nassau and I commute to the city everyday. It takes me about an hour and ten minutes (or less) door to door. I walk to the train station from my house which is about 10 minutes, the train ride is about 30-35 minutes and its another 20-25 minutes to walk to my office. I don't have a metro card so I save there. It costs me $252 a month for the monthly LIRR pass.
When I lived in Bay Ridge it would take me about 50 mins to an hour door to door. That required dealing with the nasty NYC subway and rude/pushy people. I hardly ever got a seat and had to deal with constant delays. I don't miss that filthy subway one bit.
The R and the N in Bay Ridge . . . or the Rarely and the Never. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island