Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,849 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning my search for a home in Huntington, Long Island. I've been told that the North and Village areas are the best areas to live in, rather than South and South Station. I'm not familiar with Huntington at all, besides the Main Street on 25A. Also, what is the top school district? Thanks!

Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Huntington

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS27 View Post
I'm beginning my search for a home in Huntington ...

For those who may not be familiar with Huntington:

It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington;

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of other surrounding villages and hamlets within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and other postal zones, within its borders.

Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Harbor, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, Huntington Bay and the Hamlet of Centerport; on the east by the Hamlet of Centerport and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; on the south by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Village of Lloyd Harbor.

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-04-2008, 03:13 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,764,368 times
What kind of home are you looking for and what is your budget? Huntington has many nice areas. If you can be a little more specific, I am sure that we can point you in the right direction.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,645,311 times
The top school district is Cold Spring Harbor, which technically isn't part of Huntington. If you look up the geographical school boundaries for that particular district, you'll find there are houses near the top of 25A (hilltop - western end of town) in the northern village area that are included in that district. And yes, there are some "affordable" houses there, just have to look hard.

The next best district is Harborfields which is at the other end of town (east) in Greenlawn. Parts of Dunlop Road are in that district, but you have to watch the boundary lines - very uneven - and if in doubt look at a real estate tax bill to make sure it's Harborfields and not District 3.

District 3 isn't great, even though you will hear people whose kids go there say it's alright. There's a lot of bussing going on, lots of English as a second language kids at the elementary schools because of a large population of Latinos up in Huntington Station. And part of Huntington Station is included in district 3. Personally if possible I would steer clear of that district.

If you can swing it financially, a village home is great because you can walk downtown - you'd be in the heart of the action. Some houses are beautiful and charming all with sidewalks and big, old trees - take a look at Dewey Street, Fairview, Sammis, etc. That whole area has oldies - many are renovated - keep in mind your tax bill shouldn't be too astronomical because of the age of the houses. Each house is unique - no developments here.

North of 25A works well too, but if you're more than 1/2 mile north, houses tend to get pricey - and those prices go through the roof in Lloyd Harbor and Lloyd Neck, as well as in Huntington Bay. Properties are larger (sometimes lots), some are waterview estates, etc.

Living in the Station isn't so hot. I don't care what some people will tell you - just get in a car and see for yourself. And while South Huntington is better than the Station, it's still not as desirable as the Village area and north.

Perhaps Dix Hills would do and the school district there is very good - Half Hollow Hills. You wouldn't be near the village - perhaps 15 minutes away - but the neighborhoods are nice - some very upscale with 1 acre+ properties.

Best thing to do is get in your car, spend about 4 hours driving around side streets, etc., and see for yourself. And if you're lucky maybe you'll see a house up for sale that fits your needs. That's how the realtors do it. They get in their cars and go looking for houses that are FSBOs, or look empty, etc. and then approach the owners hoping to sign them up. You will discover neighborhoods you didn't know existed.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps a little.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 PM

175 posts, read 657,713 times
Best schools in area: Cold Spring Harbor then Harborfields then Elwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island