Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 AM

406 posts, read 874,174 times

Advertisements

This is the epic question of our times.

There is a large concentration of bars in Rockville Centre that serve steak tidbits (aka: "tid-bits" and "tidbits"), which are sliced steak on toasted garlic bread with melted cheese, but they are hard to find elsewhere on Long Island.

Have you had them? Where? Are they awesome? And what is that dipping sauce made out of?

Discuss among yourselves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 09:44 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
first place I ever encountered them was Pipin's in Bay Ridge. The "sauce" is typically mayo mixed with horseradish. I'm not aware of any specific spots on LI that serve them but it's obviously something that's very easy to replicate at home.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:53 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
this brings back memories and is a unique Long Island item......I grew up in Oceanside and the original Lawson Pub (near LIRR station) used to make THE best tidbits. I believe Lawson Pub reopened under different owners a few years back and might have since closed--the tidbits were not as good as the original.

Alias Smith & Jones, also in Oceanside, still serves these on the menu. I believe the cut is London Broil and you have a choice of open faced, sliced sandwich or as a regular sandwich....I always opt for the open faced and their accompanying BBQ sauce is very good.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 AM

I've been to Alias and Lawson Pub (having lived in Oceanside for a while). Both, indeed, serve good tidbits. The most important part of the meal, though, is the sauce. Kaseys in RVC has the best, but I don't know what it is made out of - it tastes like a mix of A1 with Ketchup and maybe mayo? If anyone can share the secret of the sauce, it would be much appreciated.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:04 AM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Yo....in Philly we call dat a cheesesteak. Lol

Old 09-09-2015, 11:10 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,052 times
I don't think steak tidbits are that difficult to find. J&R Steakhouse has them on the menu (where I usually get mine) and I've seen them at quite a few diners.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:36 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,015 times
Plenty of places in Holbrook have them. Order them with Gorgonzola instead of Bleu Cheese for a life changing experience.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Plenty of places in Holbrook have them. Order them with Gorgonzola instead of Bleu Cheese for a life changing experience.
That's different than the steak tidbits in the RVC area; those are served with melted mozzerella

Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
it's like the French onion soup of london broil but with garlic bread....stop it--you're making me hungry.

Actually, a top chef originally from Long Island--Richard Blais (made his fame in Atlanta)--moved to San Diego and opened up a resto here. I think he's from Carle Place and I reminisced with him about Long Island Pub food...told him about this sandwich and London Broil--to which he replied he had not heard that term since he lived on the Island....he excused himself and then came back a few minutes later with his own version of tidbits on the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
That's different than the steak tidbits in the RVC area; those are served with melted mozzerella

Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
I think the first steak tidbits in the RVC area were served at McQuades when it opened in maybe 1972. Sliced flank steak on garlic bread - meat and bread cut into about one inch sections, no cheese, a barbecue type sauce on the side. I had them again seven or eight years ago when there was a McQuade's in Greenport - still no cheese but they were then using a hanger steak or skirt steak for the beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island