Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times

Advertisements

TOH drives me nuts as folks who buy houses things exist who knows if a permit. I have a fence around property, an above ground pool for instance was there in 1999 and my bank told me they could care less about outside stuff. ToH makes folks nervous as once you invite them in they can bring up stuff from two owners ago or even 50 years ago.

I was planning an addition on house and architect told me to confess a few minor things up front so ToH can get cut of something as better than the inspector roaming around and may nab you on a very costly item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 AM

Also ToH and Assessor office does a bad job of telling folks how the CO and permits may effect taxes. Could get permits and stuff and when Nassau does next county wide assessment in Jan 2018 it could come back and bite you or not.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 16,326 times
I will be honest. I moved in thinkING that the basement has permits. Even with clear from the bank inspection and my house inspection. But apparently there aren't permits for the completed. I am in east meadow. Looks like the work was done in the 90s but not clear and exact. I want to be proactive and not damage what I have. I just need to submit an CO of some sort to get. The contractor paid. My reno loan is expiring soon.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroVWGTi View Post
I will be honest. I moved in thinkING that the basement has permits. Even with clear from the bank inspection and my house inspection. But apparently there aren't permits for the completed. I am in east meadow. Looks like the work was done in the 90s but not clear and exact. I want to be proactive and not damage what I have. I just need to submit an CO of some sort to get. The contractor paid. My reno loan is expiring soon.
You can't really blame the bank or the home inspector here. If you had pulled the C/O or even bothered to look at mynassauproperty you could have determined pretty quickly that the basement is illegal.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:01 AM

Why did poster apply for a permit in the first place if he had a finished basement with no permit?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 AM

88 posts, read 126,341 times
My neighbor had a small fire in his kitchen and ONLY smoke damage in the second floor. The sheet rock was removed because they could not get rid of the smell which exposed the beams and structure of the house. Well two owners ago in the early sixties that owner had done an extension and conversion. The town inspector said that the support and structure is not proper and he would have to redo the entire support system on the second floor of his house. My neighbor said that this was done in the 60's and somebody approved it. The new inspector does not care and has said that he will not be able to redo the inside of his house unless the structure is redone. You know what that means no CO. That is the thing to do don't let them in unless there is no other way. They will look to find something wrong. Oh and by the way they told him he has to re-wire because the wiring was not done right. Keep in mind the reno and addition was done in the 60's. He only bough the house in the mid 2000's. Go figure.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
My neighbor had a small fire in his kitchen and ONLY smoke damage in the second floor. The sheet rock was removed because they could not get rid of the smell which exposed the beams and structure of the house. Well two owners ago in the early sixties that owner had done an extension and conversion. The town inspector said that the support and structure is not proper and he would have to redo the entire support system on the second floor of his house. My neighbor said that this was done in the 60's and somebody approved it. The new inspector does not care and has said that he will not be able to redo the inside of his house unless the structure is redone. You know what that means no CO. That is the thing to do don't let them in unless there is no other way. They will look to find something wrong. Oh and by the way they told him he has to re-wire because the wiring was not done right. Keep in mind the reno and addition was done in the 60's. He only bough the house in the mid 2000's. Go figure.
And when he is done after filing permits, penalties, paying for sign-offs will be higher taxes.

Every Plumber or Electrician has three prices.
1)Cash no receipt
2)on the books (receipt or contract will take a check)
3) on the books with a permit.

Choice 3 is often double the cost of choice 1

Old 09-24-2015, 04:07 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I was planning an addition on house and architect told me to confess a few minor things up front so ToH can get cut of something as better than the inspector roaming around and may nab you on a very costly item.
Just like the IRS. Seems to be a pattern with government agencies.

Doesn't matter if you are 100% legal/legit. They are going to get _something_. As you state, it is better to "give" them some violations and get it over with than to stand your ground and have them create bigger problems. They can always find a problem, no matter how imaginary.

On the other hand, some inspectors will still make your life difficult, no matter how much you give them. The last time I dealt with the ToH permit process was about 20 years ago. The corruption and ineptitude rivaled NYC. I was dealing with a horrible contractor who finished the job without any inspections. In the end, ToH apparently took a payoff from the contractor to sign off on the job. I had my own people inspect the work as it was being done, so I know it was all good. The town, however, couldn't care less about "safety" - it was all about protecting their friends and taking that envelope under the table. Oh yeah... and the property tax increase.

It is no wonder why people are so willing to do things without a permit.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 PM

16 posts, read 16,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Why did poster apply for a permit in the first place if he had a finished basement with no permit?
I had a retaining wall that was collapsing for the cellar entrance, which originally had a permit for already back in 1990. This was funded by the bank, so it had to go through this legality BS. I would have just opted for a cash deal instead.... besides my neighbor is a big deal whistle blower. So if I attempted any work without permits, then he would have had the town come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island