Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 35,310 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My neighbor and I got into a fight (she hates my birdfeeder) and reported us to the town. We have a pool that came as a "gift" with the house when we moved here in 1996. The pool is an above ground that was put in in 1991. We need to put fencing in and need a permit for the pool. TOH cannot give prices over the phone (what? Is there competition?) for the permit. Anyone have a ballpark figure? It's an 18 ft. above ground, no deck surrounding it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Try calling the town again. At TOH it depends on who you get and what side of bed they got up on that morning. Your looking at just a couple of hundred dollars. By the way, never buy anything where the listing says something is a "gift". That means that it has no CO and it can come back to bite you later. Usually it's an above ground pool, a deck, or a shed.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
IMO, take down the pool and start from scratch. Are there any overhead wires nearby?

If its existing the fee will be 2-3x more than if it was for a new pool.

Most above ground pools will fail because the pool is not bonded.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Smile Thanks for the replies!

My husband went to TOH and everyone was so helpful (being REALLY sarcastic). He said they have a sheet with about 2,000 lines on it with fees for the pool under 2,000 different circumstances. The woman at the front desk told him to "just pay $5,000". Yeah, okay. He gave them $250 and we'll work from there.

There should be something that's grandfathered. Thanks for the heads up about not accepting "gifts", but it's about 11 years too late! LOL! Now we know for the future. This was our first house and no one ever said anything about permits. I spoke to someone today and was telling him what's going on and he thought that you just need permits for inground pools. If TOH wants people to comply, they should be more helpful and not penalize people for doing "the right thing", which most people don't do until they're reported. Why would you put yourself through all this anguish and run-around unless you had to?

As for power lines, we have lines in our neighbor's yard (not the one that reported) and they're about 11 feet away from the pool. We can't afford a brand new pool, so starting from scratch isn't really an option. Worst comes to worst, we may just have to get rid of it. When the inspector came, she said she didn't see a reason why we couldn't get a permit, other than the issues of the pool area not being secure.

I have 2 children and understand everyone's concerned about drownings. I don't know how I'd feel if I was a senior citizen who's had a pool for years and have to put up fencing, alarms, etc., because someone's kid may wander into my pool and drown. People have had pools for years on LI. I don't think the problem is with the pools, I think it lies in parents who don't watch their children. If your 2 year old doesn't show up for lunch, don't you wonder where they are? The older people that've drowned seem like it's from inexperience and/or poor judgement.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I didn't mean for it to turn into a novel.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:47 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
My husband went to TOH and everyone was so helpful (being REALLY sarcastic). He said they have a sheet with about 2,000 lines on it with fees for the pool under 2,000 different circumstances. The woman at the front desk told him to "just pay $5,000". Yeah, okay. He gave them $250 and we'll work from there.

There should be something that's grandfathered. Thanks for the heads up about not accepting "gifts", but it's about 11 years too late! LOL! Now we know for the future. This was our first house and no one ever said anything about permits. I spoke to someone today and was telling him what's going on and he thought that you just need permits for inground pools. If TOH wants people to comply, they should be more helpful and not penalize people for doing "the right thing", which most people don't do until they're reported. Why would you put yourself through all this anguish and run-around unless you had to?

As for power lines, we have lines in our neighbor's yard (not the one that reported) and they're about 11 feet away from the pool. We can't afford a brand new pool, so starting from scratch isn't really an option. Worst comes to worst, we may just have to get rid of it. When the inspector came, she said she didn't see a reason why we couldn't get a permit, other than the issues of the pool area not being secure.

I have 2 children and understand everyone's concerned about drownings. I don't know how I'd feel if I was a senior citizen who's had a pool for years and have to put up fencing, alarms, etc., because someone's kid may wander into my pool and drown. People have had pools for years on LI. I don't think the problem is with the pools, I think it lies in parents who don't watch their children. If your 2 year old doesn't show up for lunch, don't you wonder where they are? The older people that've drowned seem like it's from inexperience and/or poor judgement.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I didn't mean for it to turn into a novel.
The overhead lines must be 10 feet(horizonally) away so double check before you spend any money.....

Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
The overhead lines must be 10 feet(horizonally) away so double check before you spend any money.....
I guess LIPA gives those measurements? My husband was saying something about a hotstick (is that the right term?) test that LIPA does. The line that goes to our house is 14 feet away. The other one that is behind our yard is hard to measure. It's 9 ft. and change from the pool to the fence.

Thanks for all your help with this. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 8,136 times
Hi Can anyone help out there! , Where looking at putting in a pool in our back yard[Fibreglass]. The only way in is over the top of the house from the front with a crane. There are above hed Powerlines that are right in the pathway. Are we able to organize Power to be turned off and power lines moved takendown for a short period of time while crane drops pool inthe ground.P.s the over head power lines are the ones that go to our house[Main power Telephone line and cable t.v. line]
Thanks Gary

Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
IMO, take down the pool and start from scratch. Are there any overhead wires nearby?

If its existing the fee will be 2-3x more than if it was for a new pool.

Most above ground pools will fail because the pool is not bonded.
wouldn't you be paying more by ripping down the existing pool, getting a permit, and recreating the pool?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,566 times
I'll be needing a new survey for a recent addition I did on my property. I plan on covering my entire aboveground pool and deck with the biggest tarp you've ever seen. If the survey guy asks what's under the tarp I plan on telling him "Nothng".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island