Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:20 AM

127 posts, read 613,604 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a college admissions/application counselor that you've consulted or know of one that has been recommended by friends?

My son is a senior in high school and we are dealing with the Common Application and all those horrible essay questions. We weren't going to consult one but have decided now that we need some guidance.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:14 PM

217 posts, read 247,048 times
I would assume if your son is educated enough to get into college he should be educated enough to answer essay questions. If he can't answer the questions on his own you will be throwing money away sending him to college. I'm not trying to be mean, it just makes no sense to me. If he can't write an essay he shouldn't be in college. And yes, I am fully aware of what the essay questions are like. Just make sure he answers honestly, accurately, and that it is well written with no grammatical mistakes. Hiring someone to help him is deceptive to the college. That's my opinion, not presenting it as fact. I'm sure others will differ.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:43 PM

406 posts, read 874,459 times
I'm also skeptical about the whole "college counselor" thing, but I do know of one and, apparently, he is quite good at it.

Here is his site; his name is Seth:
http://www.collegeconnect.info/

Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
He needs to do the essays himself.

If he can't do these, how on earth is he going to do his own work at school?

Old 10-12-2015, 06:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
What can Seth do that the kid's school guidance counselor cannot?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM

402 posts, read 518,597 times
I dont have a recommendation but im a bit surprised by the negative feedback regarding this issue. Plenty of people seek the guidance of an admissions counselor for both undergrad and graduate school.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,660 times
I do know someone, and messaged you with the info.

Koko - guidance counselors can have 300+ students in a caseload on LI, so it's challenging to give every student the amount of time really needed to get through this process. Some college counselors are great, but some are used car salesmen. Be leery of anyone that promises admission to a specific university.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
I dont have a recommendation but im a bit surprised by the negative feedback regarding this issue. Plenty of people seek the guidance of an admissions counselor for both undergrad and graduate school.
I am too. Independent academic advisers can be very helpful. They do not write essays for students.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:14 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What can Seth do that the kid's school guidance counselor cannot?
Guidance counselors are not trained to advice students in terms of college selection, application preparation, essay evaluation or the myriad of other tasks that high school students must navigate while applying to college. Many HS guidance have little knowledge of the over 3000 four year colleges and universities in the united states. They are usually familiar with famous colleges, the state universities, and a few local colleges.

When my children were applying, I found that they knew far less than we did.

Additionally, guidance counselors do not have the time to spend with each student to help them select and gain admittance to, appropriate colleges and universities.
That isn't what they do.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 PM

127 posts, read 613,604 times
Thank you for all the helpful comments. I guess I should have taken the time to explain that we are not looking for someone to write my son's essays. Fortunately, he has no trouble writing. But the essays are a very important part of the application process and are an applicant's only opportunity to make a memorable and favorable impression beyond the standard grades and activities. There are other issues also to discuss with someone knowledgeable. We're cautious and leary also that's why we're looking for recommendations.

Last edited by Teresa1127; 10-12-2015 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: