Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,231,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I don't mind it so much if they have half a brain.
It's the arrogant streetwalkers who mosey along and give you that **** off look when they are holding up the flow of traffic because they think because they are a "pedestrian" they have some god given right to own the road.
I have, and will, hit you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 03:44 PM

20,291 posts, read 21,051,087 times

Damn straight yo.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:04 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,417,129 times
Death Race 2000

Old 10-15-2015, 04:10 PM

20,291 posts, read 21,051,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Death Race 2000
Now we're talking!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:04 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,884,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
The street is a public area (in 99% of cases). People have a right to walk on it. Sure it is safer for all involved to walk on the sidewalk, but people do have a right to walk on the street.
WRONG!

"S 1156. Pedestrians on roadways. (a) Where sidewalks are provided and
they may be used with safety it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to
walk along and upon an adjacent roadway."

Old 10-16-2015, 06:47 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,420,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
So anyone who walks in the street is an a##hole. Ok.
You are COT damn right they are. I see these aholes walking their strollers in the middle of the street all the time. How come I can walk my kid in his stroller on the sidewalk but these entitled yentas can't? I only use the street to avoid anything on the sidewalk such as landscapers, barking dogs, debris, etc. I know that the people driving in my neighborhood are animals and won't stop for a stop sign let alone a stroller. So to answer your question, it is an emphatic YES that they are a-holes.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM

519 posts, read 599,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
More of a peeve than a rant. But I would really like to know why people insist on walking in the street?

My area has perfectly good sidewalks. I always thought they were made for pedestrians. No one in my area uses them. They all walk in the street. Sure, it's a quiet residential area, but there are still plenty of cars, mail trucks, UPS and FedEx deliveries.

Most times they tend to walk towards the middle of the street. When cars drive by they move as little as possible, leaving just enough room to drive through without being hit. It's a recipe for disaster.

I see people pushing baby strollers down the middle of the road.

What really got me was tonight. I am driving home a little after 10pm. Walking down the road are four women, all next to each other. They take up over half the street and make no effort to move aside. To top things off, they are all wearing black clothing/jackets. You can barely see them. Darwin is rolling over in his grave.

I honestly don't understand it, especially when combined with the total disrespect for cars and trucks.

What is the attraction to walking in the street?
When you walk with a group of friends it's easier to carry a conversation walking side-by-side. It's harder to do that on the sidewalk. That being said, I do agree some people feel like they own the road and don't move safely out of the way of cars.

What bothers me more are the fat cows who waddle in front of you taking their sweet as3 time (usually happens in parking lots).

Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,337,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
When you walk with a group of friends it's easier to carry a conversation walking side-by-side. It's harder to do that on the sidewalk. That being said, I do agree some people feel like they own the road and don't move safely out of the way of cars.

What bothers me more are the fat cows who waddle in front of you taking their sweet as3 time (usually happens in parking lots).
Except thats a pet peeve of mine, when people walk side by side and block the entire sidewalk.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,231,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Except thats a pet peeve of mine, when people walk side by side and block the entire sidewalk.
What isn't?

Old 10-17-2015, 06:41 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,417,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
What isn't?
Just tell him to take the bus.

Oh wait...don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: