Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,112 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are thinking about relocating from Plainview to Dix Hills and would like some insight if possible. I'm a transplant from California and have had a hard time with Plainview. There really doesn't seem to be much sense of a community and we have found that it is not the friendliest area. Of course this is a pretty broad statement and we have met some very nice people in our immediate neighborhood but this seems to be the exception. We are looking for a stronger sense of community and a friendlier area. I know the schools in Dix Hills are exceptional much like Plainview so not much change there. We love that most of the houses in Dix Hills are on larger lots and the neighborhoods are quiet nice. Does anyone have insight on what the community is like, I know there is no village or town area but how are the people? I don't see a lot of families out and about and it seems like it could possibly be a little pretentious? my fear is that with the greater space between neighbors we could feel even more isolated than we do now.

all insight and opinions welcome!

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:04 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,049 times
" my fear is that with the greater space between neighbors we could feel even more isolated than we do now. "

Bingo. You will have virtually zero interaction with neighbors in Dix Hills. If you want Mayberry you have to move to Mayberry and Dix Hills is not Mayberry.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:06 AM

157 posts, read 213,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisurfer123 View Post
Hello,

We are thinking about relocating from Plainview to Dix Hills and would like some insight if possible. I'm a transplant from California and have had a hard time with Plainview. There really doesn't seem to be much sense of a community and we have found that it is not the friendliest area. Of course this is a pretty broad statement and we have met some very nice people in our immediate neighborhood but this seems to be the exception. We are looking for a stronger sense of community and a friendlier area. I know the schools in Dix Hills are exceptional much like Plainview so not much change there. We love that most of the houses in Dix Hills are on larger lots and the neighborhoods are quiet nice. Does anyone have insight on what the community is like, I know there is no village or town area but how are the people? I don't see a lot of families out and about and it seems like it could possibly be a little pretentious? my fear is that with the greater space between neighbors we could feel even more isolated than we do now.

thank you
If you're looking for top schools and a tight knit community, I'd suggest Harborfields SD over HHH. HHH is a very large district. Harborfields is much smaller. One elementary, middle and senior hs, which means everyone gets to know each other. There's no village per se, but there's Broadway shopping in Greenlawn, and you're right in between Huntington and Northport villages.

In particular, there are the homes in president section of Centerport that have their own beach club, HCBA, (and camp?), so it's packed with families. And the YMCA in huntington is beautiful!

Last edited by DisneyMcFamily; 10-31-2015 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Added more

Old 10-31-2015, 10:36 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I think you'd be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Dix Hills is one of those places where there is no "there, there". It's just a zip code. You should look for a smaller town where people stay within the community for events and recreational opportunities. Greenlawn is a good suggestion. This is one of the reason why towns like Manahasset and Garden City are so popular, although they can also feel provincial and too "small town" at times. But no place is perfect.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:48 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Quote:
Hello,

thank you
While I like Dix Hills personally and prefer it over Plainview (IMHO), I am not sure if Dix Hills is the answer for you.

First, let me say on a positive note that Dix Hills is less crowded then Plainview and there is less "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality there. Oh it is still there but to a lesser degree. For example your lawn may not have to be perfect in Dix Hills, in fact many Dix Hills properties are kept heavily wooded.

The problem is that there really no community there in Dix Hills. There is no real center to the community and there is no downtown or actually much stores of any real kind. Probably the biggest sense of community comes through the school district.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,112 times
Thank you all for your responses, definitely confirmed what we thought, but you never know till you know. We were offered a very nice property at an amazing price, but in the end it was a little noisy due to being on a busy road and the lack of community were deals busters for us. Thank you all for your recommendations and quick input they are very much appreciated.

We've been looking at Babylon for quite some time and I think our search will continue there.

thanks

Old 11-01-2015, 12:44 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses, definitely confirmed what we thought, but you never know till you know. We were offered a very nice property at an amazing price, but in the end it was a little noisy due to being on a busy road and the lack of community were deals busters for us. Thank you all for your recommendations and quick input they are very much appreciated.

We've been looking at Babylon for quite some time and I think our search will continue there.

thanks

Based on your post, I believe Babylon Village definitely has the community feel you're looking for! Just two weeks ago they had a Fall Fair on Main Street. Local vendors and others exhibited their wares, fun for kids was available, including some pony rides and other kid oriented things, along with some food vendors and more. Weather was great, and lots of residents and visitors enjoyed themselves! It's a great place to live.

When looking at properties, be aware that homes in Babylon Village can be in one of two school districts; most properties are in SD 1, but some are in SD 2. I bought in the Village and found out first hand Lived there for 15 years before moving "up north"

Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
I agree with above. I've lived in Babylon Village until ~2000 (near Park Ave) and it's a close knit place where most families knew each other. I don't know if it's changed much since then but from what I hear about it, it has not.

I recommend looking at any smaller school districts that aren't divided by highways and parks; these school districts tend to have the most community feel and less division. Kids can freely walk to their friends house across town without barriers and it's just more cohesive.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:46 AM

764 posts, read 1,554,150 times
My wifes parents live in dix hills. There is no sense of community there. a lot of people keep to themselves.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 AM

149 posts, read 317,788 times
I live in Dix Hills. The sense of community comes entirely from the schools and sports. There is no town, your neighbors are far apart, and there are no stores except for a few nurseries. I like it that way, and we know many people in town through the schools/sports. But if you are looking for block parties - forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island