Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not sure if it is but the real question is why it is not already a landmark. At least the Inn part.

Last year a developer was going to tear down a 1700s house in Babylon until there was an outcry. In between the mass suburbia, Long Island is one of the oldest and most historic areas in the country. I do not understand why we still have houses, churches and other buildings from the 1600s, 1700s and early 1800s that are still not protected.
Long Islanders tend to take these things for granted, or assume they are protected. They're too busy or lack the initiative to take proactive measures ensuring that these structures remain intact. Only when threatened do they perk their ears up, and by then, it's usually too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 06:43 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Hopefully they will now seek to get landmark status to save it in the future. But if Kimco ever tried to sell it that will keep away most buyers (even them) from ever razing it to build something else.

Either way since it has been 100% confirmed that it is in fact Dover & the wonderful guy behind it Butch I can personally say Milleridge Inn will be better than ever. They will close for short time in Jan. or Feb. to paint & do some sprucing up. He has done wonders to the Coral House & countless other places on LI that otherwise would have shut down without his help. Peters Clam bar is better now because of him & his company.

No matter what there will always be naysayers that will complain about anything. But a majority of us are thrilled that it was saved. Most of us also are very satisfied about who is taking over. I personally know these people & know they will do great things for Milleridge while keeping it the same. Nothing will really change & EVERYTHING there is saved. From the Inn to the shops & stores! Especially the jobs. Many have worked there for many,many years. I know most do not have access to Newsday but I shared link to article there anyway. For those that don't have Newsday access I shared others. As well as link to Dover to see what they have done over the years to bring back places we love that would have been shut had it not been for him & his company. Most things he gets involved in were crumbling & facing closing & destruction. What ever he touches seems to turn to gold. I wish him good luck & thank Butch for his interest in saving Milleridge Inn from what would have been destruction. And we all know what would have became of property if Kimco has its way. Now I wonder what will happen with Kimco. Butch is also on the board with The Red Cross. He was inspired from Sandy. He does a lot for the community. His family was the owners of the original Pastrami King in Kew Gardens back in the 80's. His dad dies right after they opened the Merrick location.

Long Live the Milleridge Inn! This is a little tidbit about Peters's Clam bar & Dover. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/ny...land-park.html

Executive Suite: Butch Yamali, Freeport | Newsday

The Dover Group

http://liherald.com/stories/Coral-Ho...ontent_source=

Last edited by loribell38; 11-28-2015 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 09:15 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Although it has not yet been publicly announced the communities efforts to save the Milleridge Inn has happened. It worked! The community pulled together & showed we wanted it to stay. The people behind the efforts to save Milleridge Inn worked hard & dedicated lots of time to help get this done. Thanks to them all it worked. Proof there is power in numbers & the public can make a difference. But Owen Smith was fantastic in making sure that whoever took over would continue the traditions.

I am happy to say a new operator has been secured & it they will be running The Milleridge Inn as of January 1,2016. It has been saved as well as all the jobs! Everything will remain the same even right down to the menus I was told. They will close for a few weeks in Jan or Feb for painting & some needed updates though. Thanks go to Owen Smith the proprietor for finding someone who promises to keep the traditions alive. Had reservations for Christmas for what we all thought was going to be our last time & chance to say goodbye!

Great that this place has been saved & some of LI's history will remain intact. At least for now. Maybe they can get it declared an historical landmark to avoid destruction in the future.

Enjoy this wonderful piece of Long Island history. Further details like the name of the new operator has not yet been released. Sure that will happen very soon as everyone thinks they are closing at the end of the year. Yesterday the owner made the announcement to the employees. No public announcement has been made as of yet. But it has been confirmed with Owen Smith the family that has owned it for years. I am sure a public statement will come out soon.
This is wonderful news. Thank you for sharing.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
This is wonderful news. Thank you for sharing.
You are very welcome. Love that one LI landmark was at least saved. For now. Hope it's not a temporary fix. I see a lawsuit coming from Kimco though as they possibly wanted to get rid of it & build something else in its place.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:22 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
You are very welcome. Love that one LI landmark was at least saved. For now. Hope it's not a temporary fix. I see a lawsuit coming from Kimco though as they possibly wanted to get rid of it & build something else in its place.
Indeed, this structure dates back to 1672. Think the next mission is to light the fire under the TOB (and other Towns) to inventory all historical structures, and, ensure they are preserved and protected.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Indeed, this structure dates back to 1672. Think the next mission is to light the fire under the TOB (and other Towns) to inventory all historical structures, and, ensure they are preserved and protected.
I hope they do. Kimco will not be happy about that though. They probably purchased huge piece of property to tear it down & build a shopping center.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:20 PM

194 posts, read 444,721 times
Nice property. Mediocre, overpriced venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island