Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 10:13 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Can you grow up and stop making false statements against others? I have never made any statement with regards to "my tolerance for the LI Lifestyle" if you are an example of a higher tolerance for the lifestyle then I would rather live in a single wide trailer in NEPA.

If you were so happy with your lifestyle, you wouldn't feel the need to constantly flame me. You won't admit it, but you are jealous of my lifestyle.

Quote:
You can't accept that someone would choose to leave and go somewhere else, there is life past the beltways.

You are the one who can't accept that some people want to stay on LI.

Quote:
Now my post was reasonable but too snarky for you, grow up. You have now attacked both posters who responded to the questions that you posted perhaps next time you should attach a list of acceptable responders........
Actually, you and Twingles were the 2 posters I had in mind when I posted my question. Twingles gave a reasonable response in Post #317, but then blew it with an unnecessary, rude response in Post #334 that was of no value to anybody reading the thread. She should have quit while she was ahead after Post #317.

As for you: your only post of any substance in this thread was Post #303. You seemed to be answering as if you were giving advice to me specifically, even though it is obvious that I am not currently interested in relocating. So it was clear that I was just asking a general question, and not looking for personal advice. You did have some good points in that post, but they were wasted by your unnecessary rudeness in that post.

In the next post, I will respond to each part of your Post #303.

You seem to think you are better than me, because you chose to relocate. No, that does not make you better. No more than my decision to stay on Long Island makes me any better. We make different choices based on our personal situations, neither of which make us any better or worse than each other or another person.

The other thing I don't understand about you is, based on Post #303 and other posts, you seem to be a "hardship builds character" type of person. But you are very selective as to what type of hardship you feel builds character. You seem to think that the hardship you handled in moving to where you knew nobody makes you a better person than me. But you seem to have found live on LI to be a hardship, for whatever reason. Yet you don't respect those of us who endured that "hardship", if you even want to call it that.

Why do you want me to relocate so badly? How does it help you in any way?

And, why would I relocate, given that I've said many times that I have a job with a reasonable commute and a living wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:26 AM

As I promised, this is my response to each part of Post #303.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You actually have it easier now then when I was first looking

Whether or not that is true, it's irrelevant, since I was not looking for advice, since I have no plans to relocate. I was just asking a general question, not looking for personal advice.

Quote:
it's called the internet,

Unnecessary, sarcastic remark.

Quote:
stop assuming that employment can only be secured through the "who I know" network.

You obviously know nothing about the real world. Ever read the Work and Employment forum? Everybody there agrees that getting hired is all about who you know, and everybody agrees that (whether fair or not), networking is the most important skill. You would have been better off giving advice on how to network on the Internet with people far away, or how to convince an employer that you, a stranger, are the best applicants, despite there being hundreds of local applicants. As far as I know, it's still taboo to add strangers as LinkedIn contacts.

Put yourself in the position of somebody looking to hire somebody. When there are hundreds of applicants for 1 position, why would you take a chance on an unknown person who currently lives far away, when there are qualified applicants who live locally and who have local contacts?

If you want to get hired by an employer who is just looking for somebody, regardless of qualifications, to work the longest hours for the lowest salary possible, then what is the point? May as well stay on LI / NYC if you want that lifestyle.

Quote:
Go out and look you would be surprised what could be available for you out there.

I'm not looking for a new job, so no need for me to look. But when I do search, out of curiosity, I don't see any opportunities in my field outside of NYC or occasionally LI.

Quote:
You need to be flexible my employer wanted me in two weeks, I explained I needed longer and they gave me three weeks which was fine.

Why would an employer hire the person who won't work for 3 weeks, when there are hundreds of qualified applicants who are willing to start in 2 weeks or sooner?

Quote:
Unless your coming right out of school you will never be able to just pack up and move. I lived apart from my family renting a room, once the house sold they joined me the kids stayed in their school and we moved at Xmas time. It's a team effort and each one does their part, kids adjust better than you realize.

Fair enough. The first reasonable point in your post. But my point is that different people have different tolerances for that lifestyle. You enduring it doesn't make you a better person. What do you want? A cookie? You're not getting one from me. Just like some of us have more tolerance for the LI / NYC lifestyle that you loathe so much, but we aren't better people for it. Just different.

Quote:
If you believe the only way you can get a job is by who you know then don't bother looking, your defeatist attitude keeps you in your existence.

Realism is not a defeatist attitude.

Quote:
Using your posts your married, no kids, in a 2BR Condo and work near where you live, no extended commute as you like to post. You come home have no kids to play with, no yard to work in and a stay at home spouse who can clean up after dinner

That is all true. So why would I want to relocate at this time? I don't.

Quote:
you have plenty of time to get online and look for other employment.

Again, I'm not looking for other employment.

Quote:
Out of state interviews if needed may be paid by the employer or you decide if it's worth it, quite frequently interviews are done on the phone, or with video through Skype travel is not so common anymore, isn't technology neat...

Maybe that is common in some fields, but not mine. I've never heard of an employer paying an applicant for an interview. Nor do they do phone or online interviews. If you want the job badly enough, you interview in person.

Quote:
To sum it up I would say the people who relocated did what was needed and didn't stand around waiting for everything to land in their lap.

More rude garbage. Again, the fact that you chose to relocate does not make you better than me, as you want to think.

Quote:
People relocate every day through out the country the challenge of leaving LI has no different steps just additional mental baggage.
Whatever.

In any case: I knew a girl from college who was from Virginia. I know Virginia is a big state, but your reference to outside the Beltway makes me think you're living in the boondocks, not a DC suburb. This girl said that both of her parents commuted 3 hours each way to work, and that she was the only family in her town with running water. Sorry, I'm not interested in that lifestyle.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:15 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Now there folks is your typical a$$ hole that lives next door. You can keep it and him.
Better than being a loser who can't hack out a successful carmer in nyc

Old 01-16-2016, 12:20 PM

852 posts, read 968,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Better than being a loser who can't hack out a successful carmer in nyc
Gotta love it- You tax slaves are always admitting to your own predicament by using terms like "Hacking out a living" and "winning at the rat-race".... Proof of how you've accepted and become complacent with the miserable conditions under which you choose to live.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:32 PM

/\/\

I find it more fulfilling to work for a large bank than shovel bovine manure for a livng. It's easier to tie it in to post secondary education attained.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
/\/\

I find it more fulfilling to work for a large bank than shovel bovine manure for a livng. It's easier to tie it in to post secondary education attained.
I work on a computer from my home a few hours per week, as my cows fertilize my pasture- no shoveling required.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
/\/\

Those aren't the only 2 alternatives in life. For example, I do not work for a bank, nor do I shovel bovine manure for a living.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
This is true. It's our mass culture, centralized "education" system, and political model. These things tend to create uniform effects wherever they are implemented. It started on the coasts; then spread out to the bigger inland cities...then to every city...and now it's getting into the nooks and crannies of the smallest towns and more remote rural areas, where it had been kept at bay for several decades.

The difference where I live is stark, compared to when I moved here 14 years ago. Store clerks used to be friendly and chatty and call you "hun". Now they are being replaced by the younger generation who haver spent more time in the company of teachers and TVs than with their parents, and they are just as impersonal and rude as NYers- futzing with their cell phones and gossiping with other workers, to the point where they don't even acknowledge the customer.

The women are abandoning their husbands and kids in favor of affairs with co-workers- or just playing on Facebook instead of taking care of their families. [It seems the only people whom I know who are happily married anymore, are ones who have married people from other countries with more traditional cultures).

There's been talk of implementing zoning and planning in the town which is the county seat of this county (a town of 1500 people!) and they're trying to turn some private business free-market services into items which will be incorporated into property taxes (Here's where the taxes start going up!).

Culturally, morally, and economically, this country is turning into one big shiat-hole.
Wow! 100 percent true!
I moved back to the Buffalo area after wasting 15 prime years of my life on Long Island and noticed the change coming back. The impersonal culture is even invading up here now, it's just that it hasn't yet progressed down the road as far as LI.
Still the lower cost, slower pace and more space still made the move worthwhile. It's just that I miss the pre-911 America so much, I was hoping I'd still find it out there, but sadly I'm not sure its ever coming back, anywhere.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I work on a computer from my home a few hours per week, as my cows fertilize my pasture- no shoveling required.
I'll ask the bank's higher ups if they made it to managing director by "working on a computer from home a few hours per week".

Old 01-17-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Wow! 100 percent true!
I moved back to the Buffalo area after wasting 15 prime years of my life on Long Island and noticed the change coming back. The impersonal culture is even invading up here now, it's just that it hasn't yet progressed down the road as far as LI.
Still the lower cost, slower pace and more space still made the move worthwhile. It's just that I miss the pre-911 America so much, I was hoping I'd still find it out there, but sadly I'm not sure its ever coming back, anywhere.
Yes, sadly, it's no longer a phenomenon just localized to big metropolitan areas- but is rather something that has become endemic to Western culture. Like you say, it is not yet as bad in some places, but it has definitely infiltrated pretty much every nook and cranny pretty much everywhere these days.

At least in the very rural area where I now live, it's not so bad- not out here in the country, anyway- but as soon as you go into even the small towns, you see it now. I sometimes take my elderly mother to a nearby town (population 12K) to go to stores and stuff, and she always says "I hate this town, it reminds me of the Island!"

Quote:
I'll ask the bank's higher ups if they made it to managing director by "working on a computer from home a few hours per week".
I guess if he enjoys spending his days in an office and wearing suits, and having to live in that cesspool of a city or commute, he must be happier than a pig in doo-doo -but personally, I couldn't live that way. I would also not be able to sleep if I had to make my living participating in fractional-reserve banking. I prefer earning a living with my own hands in a natural environment, and making my own decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island