Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:15 PM

63 posts, read 152,142 times

Advertisements

The home I recently purchased has a separate boiler room in an UNFINISHED basement but it does not have a fire rated door or fire retardant sheetrock enclosing it. There is some sheetrock on the ceiling but I think it's only 1/2 inch.

2 questions....

1) Should this have been an issue when I bought the home or does it not really matter
2) If I finish the basement and get a permit, will I have to fix this? I would leave one section of the basement unfinished and behind a door. Within that area that would be another door leading into the boiler room. I've read conflicting things when looking up code. Some make it sound like for a single family home it doesn't have to be a fireproof room.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 06:27 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I don't think you need a finished boiler room for an unfinished basement, but you are going to need one for a finished basement.

You'll need smoke/CO detectors too. These were issues Village of GC opted not to break our b@lls about since it was already done when we moved in, although not well and not up to code - but the egress window was non-negotiable.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 PM

397 posts, read 515,237 times
An unfinished basement generally requires a 1hr fire rated surface above the boiler (5/8" drywall) and a smoke and CO alarm also.

If you're going to finish the basement, the boiler room will have to have 1hr rated walls 5' around the boiler, and a self closing fire rated door leading into the room.

Double check with your local building dept to see if they will impose any other specific rules, but the above is generally whats required.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
An unfinished basement generally requires a 1hr fire rated surface above the boiler (5/8" drywall) and a smoke and CO alarm also.

If you're going to finish the basement, the boiler room will have to have 1hr rated walls 5' around the boiler, and a self closing fire rated door leading into the room.

Double check with your local building dept to see if they will impose any other specific rules, but the above is generally whats required.
Interesting - if you have a solid fireproof door and a pretty much hermetically sealed room how do you get sufficient draft for the boiler?

Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
All this depends where your house is located and how old it is.

Most older homes do not have a fire rated door.

64 square feet (2 boards) of Type 'x' sheetrock should installed above the boiler. I see this only half the time....IMO....this should be your effort address.

If enclosing the boiler, you need address the need for "make up air" as the boiler needs air for combustion. This air is best if its fresh and from the outside. Most of the time, a grate to the next room will suffice, though it may not meet code.

CO and fire detectors are always a must.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:31 AM

I'm located in Garden City and the house was built in 1940. There is currently no steel door or fire rates drywall enclosing the boiler room. It is enclosed behind wood paneling.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Interesting - if you have a solid fireproof door and a pretty much hermetically sealed room how do you get sufficient draft for the boiler?
This!!! The boiler needs to breathe. You better have wall vent covers on 2 walls so it can get some cross draft.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:21 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
1940, little to no code written fro then in terms of boiler and fire safety.

If it was my house, I would install 64 square feet (2 boards) of Type 'x' sheetrock should installed above the boiler.

If you get a permit to finish the basement, the town will most likely make you address it.

Oil or gas?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Gas

Old 01-20-2016, 03:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
The home I recently purchased has a separate boiler room in an UNFINISHED basement but it does not have a fire rated door or fire retardant sheetrock enclosing it. There is some sheetrock on the ceiling but I think it's only 1/2 inch.

2 questions....

1) Should this have been an issue when I bought the home or does it not really matter
2) If I finish the basement and get a permit, will I have to fix this? I would leave one section of the basement unfinished and behind a door. Within that area that would be another door leading into the boiler room. I've read conflicting things when looking up code. Some make it sound like for a single family home it doesn't have to be a fireproof room.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
NYC city code is double sheetrock with a metal self closing door. Nassau county basically have very little rules on it. Single sheet rock is fine, even nothing if unfinished basement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: