Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
sigh. Yup. Cause none of them are in school before care at 8 and then in after school until 6. Then 2 hrs of homework with some dinner tossed in. Maybe team practice 2x week plus a game, music lesson, doctor visit, a shower, monthly reading/writing assignment,....oh yeah...that's for a 10 yr old. It gets busier when they get to MS and HS. I WISH my kid had more time to play those video games you saw in a Gamestop ad. Our kids have to work hard to make a future. None of those cushy civil service gigs left the "greater" generations carved out for themselves they can get $80k and a pension to play Angry Birds and Solitaire at.

Apparently kids can get mugged on their way home from school too. Just like us!
The "busy" thing is very true. Only on 2 weeknights do ours actually stay home with no activities... and on those nights - homework done by 430pm, they throw/shoot the ball around in the living room, dinner by 6pm, shower, brush, read, bed by 830-ish. They only play video games for a few hours on Fridays/weekends. They actually love all the weeknight activities (and lots of Sunday stuff) because it makes the week go by so much faster, for me too. The staying home and playing video games all the time is another one of those extreme examples of the internets that is tossed around loosely, especially for the younger kids. It's good to schedule your kids for a few things a week - not many just run over to each other's house as much anymore, because seeing a huge group of friends doing something they actually like together is even better than playing on a swing in a yard with 1 other kid. And that never even happened on weeknights much.

College entrance today - your kid needs a ton of extracurriculars including community service too - it's not even just about the test scores anymore. It may seem competitive these days because it actually is. Sometimes we see parents wanting their kids to "just be kids" and slack around once in a while and then they go and complain they play too much video games or they're too lazy or too privileged. It's no wonder we see many fall behind with lesser jobs when they graduate. Make your choices because it's all on the parents' guidance. Oops, digression.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-04-2016 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Exactly why I pulled out of buying a nice house in West Babylon as soon as I found out it was N Babylon school district.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Exactly why I pulled out of buying a nice house in West Babylon as soon as I found out it was N Babylon school district.
How do you know that the suspects were associated with the actual school district? The OP forgot to include the age-range of the suspects which is a major identifier (though they conveniently remembered to mention the race)....

Anyways, this can happen anywhere; especially with the increase of heavy drug use all throughout the island nowadays. Check out the couple that robbed and attacked a woman in the "exclusive" East Hills a few days ago:
2 arrested after driveway attack in East Hills | News 12 Long Island

You aint safe nowhere, brah

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-04-2016 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 08:06 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I know this board adores anecdotal evidence, particularly when comparing today's society to the Golden Age of the 50s and 60s ("back in the day"), but violent crimes (eg crimes involving the use or threat of physical force) is way down in the US and in rich countries. I believe it is because of the ubiquity of cyber crime, which is usually more lucrative with less risk. After all, why break into someone's house to steal a DVD player worth $25 at the risk of being shot or apprehended when you can steal 100x that amount using identity theft from the comfort of your living room?

Crime in the modern day is highlighted by the internet and the click-bait media, making it seem more a Prevalent than in the insular days of the Pre-internet era. A child was far more likely to be abducted on Long Island 50 years ago than they are today, statistically.

Violent Crime Down in U.S. | 2015-09-30 | Security Magazine

The curious case of the fall in crime | The Economist

Cyber-crime overtakes physical crime in the UK - SC Magazine UK
As your numbers stop in 2014, you haven't accounted for violent crime making a precipitous return - up approximately 11% - in 2015, and likely to increase further as our pols return to the brain dead "soft on crime" policies they abandoned in the 90s after two decades of skyrocketing crime.

Trying to Hide the Rise of Violent Crime - WSJ

Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
As your numbers stop in 2014, you haven't accounted for violent crime making a precipitous return - up approximately 11% - in 2015, and likely to increase further as our pols return to the brain dead "soft on crime" policies they abandoned in the 90s after two decades of skyrocketing crime.

Trying to Hide the Rise of Violent Crime - WSJ
Your article states that the Brennan Center's research found that murders (not overall violent crime) in select large urban areas is up 11% in early 2015 compared to 2014. That is a disturbing statistic, but in context, it is not as bad as it seems. The Brennan Center also noted the following:

Quote:
Today’s murder rates are still at all-time historic lows. In 1990 there were 29.3 murders per 100,000 residents in these cities. In 2000, there were 13.8 murders per 100,000. Now, there are 9.9 murders per 100,000 residents. Averaged across the cities, we find that while Americans in urban areas have experienced more murders this year than last year, they are safer than they were five years ago and much safer than they were 25 years ago.
According to the Washington Post last week (using FBI statistics), violent crime was indeed up nationally in the first half of 2015 but only by 1.7%. Second half statistics are not yet available.

That violent crime and murders are way down overall in both the US and rich countries generally cannot be plausibly disputed.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Yesterday, a 10th grade girl was robbed on her way home from school. She was walking home and 2 black guys in a white van pull up and tell her "give me the backpack". She was smart enough to just give it to them and run home.

What is going on in this world?!?!? A 15 year old isn't even safe walking home from school. Thankfully, all they did was take the backpack and it wasn't worse!

What did they think would be in her backpack? Certainly not an iPhone since most girls carry them in their back pocket or coat pocket. Money? How much money would a kid coming home from school have? $5 or $10???

Whoever these scumbags are, I hope they are caught!
I got robbed first day of Kindergarten in the Bronx. She made it to tenth grade without getting robbed makes her lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island