Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM

577 posts, read 980,392 times

Advertisements

WHEN: Monday February 27, 2012 @ 7:30 PM
WHERE: Garden City Library, 60 Seventh St. Garden City, NY

Many of you are well aware of the dramatic increase in noise and pollution levels from aircraft over our community in recent years. In 2004, the Port Authority logged 25,338 aircraft flying over our area on approach to JFK, Runway 22L. That represented 14% of all arrivals into JFK. Last year that number was over 68,000 or 32% of all arrivals into JFK. That's a staggering increase that almost tripled the noise and air pollution levels and potential safety hazards for residents under that flight path. Not only have we seen an unprecedented increase in volume, but flights are coming in lower than ever and Runway 22L is now the most used arrivals runway for night time operations between 11pm and 7am. Is it any wonder many of us are waking up from the thunderous roar of aircraft in the middle of the night?

A few very active residents have taken up the struggle to take on the FAA, the port Authority,our local elected officials and our airlines as they try to drive even more traffic and volume over our area and into JFK. But now we need your help even more. We need all residents of our communities to tackle this matter with more of a sense of urgency. Make no mistake, your home values are being affected. Triple the amount of noise and air pollution over our community will do nothing but discourage potential buyers to purchase real estate here. As home prices fall in one area of our community, you can be certain the impact will resonate even in neighborhoods that are not currently under the flight path.

If you care about the quality of life in Nassau County. If you care about the air our children breath. If you care about quiet skies and peaceful walks in parks and strolling our tree lined streets on summer nights, now is the time to get active. For the first time ever, Garden City is hosting the Town Village Aircraft Safety and Noise Abatement (TVASNAC) committee meeting. This group is a conglomeration of communities all over Nassau County that are active in dealing with aircraft noise and pollution. We encourage all of you to attend this meeting on February 27th at Garden City Library, 60 Seventh St., Garden City. Representatives from the Federal Aviation Administration & The Port Authority of NY & NJ will attempt to answer why there has been a very significant increase in the number of commercial aircraft flying over Old Westbury, Williston Park, Westbury, Mineola, Albertson, East Hills, East Williston, Garden City, Stewart Manor, Floral Park while en-route to JFK runway 22L. Most of our federal, state & local elected officials are expected to attend and explain what they're doing to help us in our struggles with the FAA & PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM

44 posts, read 59,832 times
My husband and I live in Lynbrook. Since mid January, literally 5-6 days per week planes are flying low and loud directly over our house every 30 to 60 seconds, one right after the other. Some days its almost 24/7, others its 8-12 hours at a time. Before this year, of course there were occasionally planes flying low and loud but it was completely tolerable. It is now unbearable. We have to sleep with a fan, sound machine, and ear plugs....my husband usually sleeps through it but I have a tough time. Our quality of life has gone downhill and we are paying a fortune in taxes to hear 50+ planes fly over our house an hour. Unbelievable. Cannot wait until we try to sell our house in a few years.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,668 times
Get over it already find something better to do with your time then cry about a plane making noise its a plane!!!!.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Hey genius, you don't know what its like having planes fly right over your house every minute every hour, so go find some other topic that you can relate to. We can't even hear the tv in our living room its so bad. It was NOT like this until last month, so leave us alone and let us complain. Trust me, we would love to move out of this awful place, but try selling your house when you have 50 planes an hour flying over your head.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:16 PM

276 posts, read 989,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post
Hey genius, you don't know what its like having planes fly right over your house every minute every hour, so go find some other topic that you can relate to. We can't even hear the tv in our living room its so bad. It was NOT like this until last month, so leave us alone and let us complain. Trust me, we would love to move out of this awful place, but try selling your house when you have 50 planes an hour flying over your head.
I agree with you and can only imagine how disturbing this might be. Planes flying overhead is extremely disturbing and awful for property value. I have friends in Floral Park who said the increase in overhead traffic has been unbearable. I wonder what is the reason for the huge increase in the already high volume of air traffic over the area? Definitely awful if you are trying to sell your home. Who wants to pay 11,000 in property taxes to hear planes rumbling overhead all day and night? I am curious what the outcome of the meeting will be.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post
i upset a Nimby yes!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,980 times
The problem is that there are violations of the federal airline regulations because the planes are flying too low (hence the noise).

I knew that planes would fly overhead. It's nice to be a short ride from the airport. My kids like to look at the planes. But occasionally (at least for me) you think wow, that's really loud, or gee that plane is much too low and you wonder why the situation isn't better policed. For some people it's more than occasional, and it can really affect their quality of life.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 AM

Thank you for understanding! My husband and I were in our backyard the other day and we had to yell to hear each other. We were saying how there is no way we can have friends over for a barbeque this the summer with the planes flying over every minute for hours. This is so upsetting! When they fly high, like they used to, we barely noticed them. I don't understand why there has been such a drastic change! It's so difficult to relax at home. We would love to move, but that's definitely not an option right now.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM

577 posts, read 980,392 times
RE: I wonder what is the reason for the huge increase in the already high volume of air traffic over the area?

JFK has 4 runways and thus 8 different ways planes could take off and land. In a perfect world each would get 12.5% of arrivals and departure. Its not a perfect world.......wind, weather, runway availability etc impact which runway configuration the JFK tower utilizes.

However communities in central & south Nassau are taking the brunt of overall arrivals....32% ( into JFK 22L)!
During some days that means about 300 planes per day.

In addition people don't realize that very soon it will get significantly worse as the FAA starts transitioning to "Next Generation" technology!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM

372 posts, read 741,221 times
LOL at people living less than 5 miles from the airport complaining about airplane noise. That's like living one block from a train station and complaining about the train horn. I just looked at a map, and Lynbrook is basically right next to JFK. How do you expect the planes to land if they dont fly low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island