Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 PM

294 posts, read 610,043 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any suggestions about dealing with an apartment or home rental of less than 1 year in length.

Specifically, we will be starting a major home renovation shortly that will require us to move out of our residence for 4-6 months. My wife and I (we also have two kids ages 6 & 9) are really struggling to find something in our general area of NHP/Herricks (say up to 3 miles in any direction) that allows for a month-to-month lease or a fixed-term lease of say 6 months. I've checked countless websites and we're really not getting anywhere as virtually everything that's being offered is for a 1-year lease. The Modera Apartments in Mineola do offer month-to-month leases, but their prices under those terms are extremely high and it's not something that we'd want to pursue if we had a choice.

A question for real estate professionals or others that may have first-hand knowledge...would there be any flexibility in lease length if I were to offer payment in full up-front in contemplation of the lease term being modified from 1 year to 6 months? Our credit ratings are 800+, so that would not be a stumbling block for any type of financial deal, but it's getting very frustrating and I'm getting nervous that we'd need to push back our start date on the home renovation if we keep spinning our wheels with this issue.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 04:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Can you get one of those modular homes in your yard?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:26 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,305 times
We had a similar situation some years back. Our home was sold and our new home was being built. Needed to rent a house for 6 months or so.

It was difficult (as you have learned) but not impossible. We found what was a common situation... someone moving out of the area. They had already purchased their "retirement" home in another state but had not yet sold their existing home on Long Island. As part of the short-term lease, we agreed to let them show the house to prospective buyers while we were living there. They found a buyer and closed about a week after we moved out. A win-win for both parties.

For someone already in new home with an unsold existing home, this is a good deal. It wouldn't be big stretch to try and sell a home now with an expected closing in late-August/early-September. (Much past that might be a problem as any families with kids like to be in before the new school year starts).

That might be a possible solution for you. Speak with some real estate agents to see if they have any listing with a compatible situation.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:55 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
A lease is just a contract and contracts are negotiable. Just because a listing is advertised as a one year term does not mean a different term would not be considered. Expect to pay a little more per month for less than a year and also expect your renovation to take longer than promised.

My suggestion would be to go for a one year lease but with a no-penalty exit clause after six months with a 45 day notice.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:18 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,138 times
If you got to mlsli.com and when you search rentals it lets you search by month to month, furnished, seasonal, etc. those type of landlords are flexible.

However a lot of short term rentals are fully furnished.

Best bets are condos and coops where owner has it for sale. They might rent. I see a few two bedrooms in Great Neck on-line that say flexible in ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: