Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 AM

21 posts, read 41,717 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea what the cost might be in Nassau per square foot?

The area that I'm thinking about (sunroom) has a poured floor but would likely need treatment before polishing and staining due to its age.

Any recommendations for a good contractor?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
You really cant polish existing concrete slabs. You can paint it masonry paint. Or clean it with a mild acid then seal it.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM

193 posts, read 271,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
You really cant polish existing concrete slabs. You can paint it masonry paint. Or clean it with a mild acid then seal it.
Good to know. I was thinking about getting my basement laundry room floor polished in our 1930's built house.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:15 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
This is hysterical.

Refinishing Concrete Floors | Life Of An Architect

Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM

193 posts, read 271,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
It is?

Old 03-22-2016, 03:32 AM

21 posts, read 41,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Thanks. I would be fine pouring an additional few inches of new concrete on top of the old and then polishing the new. There is a substantial step down into the sunroom from the neighboring living room, so I wouldn't need to worry about the floor grades not matching up.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:10 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Look into stamped concrete if you are pouring a slab....

Old 03-22-2016, 10:33 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jishaoshuren View Post
Thanks. I would be fine pouring an additional few inches of new concrete on top of the old and then polishing the new. There is a substantial step down into the sunroom from the neighboring living room, so I wouldn't need to worry about the floor grades not matching up.
From what I understand, you can determine much of the finish of a concrete slab when it is poured. There are various finishing techniques that can be used.

Not sure what you mean by "polished" but keep in mind that any smooth, hard surface can be very slippery. Especially when wet. You might want to consider some level of texture. Years ago I knew someone who "smoothed out" their concrete entry steps. It was very dangerous whenever it became wet.

The stamped concrete idea already mentioned is a good one. Something to look at.

You might also consider epoxy. I did my basement and a garage with an epoxy finish and am very happy with how it came out. There are many colors, giving you a variety of options. It has a smooth finish, but still offers some traction, even when wet.

Epoxy is something you can do yourself and the cost if reasonable. It is essentially painting the floor. Your biggest issue would be cleaning and etching the old floor to remove anything which would cause the epoxy not to adhere well.

If you are still pouring a new floor, you would have to wait a few months for the concrete to fully cure. If you don't want to do it yourself, the company pouring the concrete may offer that service.

Worth looking into.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Epoxy is something you can do yourself and the cost if reasonable. It is essentially painting the floor. Your biggest issue would be cleaning and etching the old floor to remove anything which would cause the epoxy not to adhere well.
I want to look into this, I have quite a few areas on my basement floor and walls where there is efflorescence, that powdery buildup that you see. Will I be able to go over that with the epoxy?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I want to look into this, I have quite a few areas on my basement floor and walls where there is efflorescence, that powdery buildup that you see. Will I be able to go over that with the epoxy?
No. The concrete must be well cleaned and etched prior to putting down epoxy. Any dirt or oils will cause the epoxy to not adhere well. You really want to make sure you prep the floor correctly. If you do, you will end up with a very good finish that lasts a long time.

It's no different than painting a wall. You start with a well prepped and clean wall - you don't use paint to "fix" a problem.

Also, I highly suggest a two-part epoxy. There are one-part products that seem easier to use, but they don't work as well.

The cleaning of floors and application of epoxy seems more difficult than it actually is. Check out some YouTube videos and read the directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island