Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,536 times

Advertisements

I just noticed a Town of Hempstead Building Code Enforcement car sitting in front of my house and the guy was entering info into a computer (at 8pm!). Any idea what could be going on? Is this what they do if someone files a complaint for some minor work I had done months ago? Not sure if I'm being paranoid or should I expect to receive something in the mail? Or would they immediately put a notice in the mailbox?

Last edited by HeresAQuestionForYou; 04-29-2016 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 08:45 PM

49 posts, read 96,063 times
They usually let you know asap by putting a note or business card on the door. If you didn't get anything I wouldn't worry.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,536 times
Thanks, that's a relief, I didn't get anything on my door. But Is it possible they have a new notification system now since I saw a laptop on his dash that he was typing on. Just really weird he double parked in front of my house, started typing and then when he saw me pulled up to next house to finish then took off. Felt like he purposely came to my address.

Has anyone ever received a code violation letter in the mail vs. a notice on your door?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
No code violation, but I got a letter in door saying that since I added central air that my taxes would be going up $xxx dollars.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:07 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Nobody thinks it's odd to live in this kind of fear (smh).

Old 05-01-2016, 06:24 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
They're gonna get you no doubt.
That was no coincidence. Someone ratted you out.
You'll get some fines and a tax increase.
Probably be some other costs for permits and plans and such.
Keep an eye out for a letter in your mailbox, regular and a certified.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:44 PM

184 posts, read 234,022 times
Wow this is really.... I don't know what to think. I'm in Queens now but moving to LI. We have done so many renovations to our house, no permits and no one batted an eye. I wouldn't even have thought of real estate tax doing up if we were to install central AC in our house. I guess people in NYC boroughs prefer minding their own business for most part.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
Wow this is really.... I don't know what to think. I'm in Queens now but moving to LI. We have done so many renovations to our house, no permits and no one batted an eye. I wouldn't even have thought of real estate tax doing up if we were to install central AC in our house. I guess people in NYC boroughs prefer minding their own business for most part.
It's more likely due to the NYC buildings department having A LOT more on their plate than "code enforcement".

Old 05-02-2016, 04:48 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
LI municipalities have realized permitting is a huge cash cow.

They also wait with baited breath every time there is a house fire, praying there isn't a situation like you find in NYC with walls thrown up to make an extra 5 rooms or a basement carved up into 2 apartments and no form of egress. They've started enforcing to make sure they don't get dragged into that kind of situation when the lawsuits begin.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:47 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,810 times
They do nothing about illegal apartments in the TOH. They go for the easy stuff hitting the working home owning tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island