Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,761 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife and I will be moving to Long Island in the next few months and will be working in Garden City. We are not east coast natives and we are looking for a home to buy and have noticed a few places we could afford in Hempstead, we cannot afford to live in the more affluent neighborhoods around Garden City. I have read that Hempstead is not a very safe place and many people say to avoid it all costs. I am wondering if anyone can give advice on a specific section, i have looked up crime rates, maps, and stats and it seems that there are some areas which are really bad (linden triangle, terrace ave) but some which as pretty middle class and suburby. The area we are looking at is between Long Beach and Baldwin closer to where the two streets intersect. Can anyone give some info on that area?

We are both young and white from middle class families trying to build a life for ourselves, we are used to being in average neighborhoods and realize that crime is present everywhere we go. We have lived in not so nice parts of the bay area and oakland in california. we don't care so much about someone smoking pot on the corner or some idiots loitering around, we want to avoid being mugged or assaulted or raped or being a bystander in a drive by (also don't want our house burgled).

In addition, having lived around gangs and gang violence before we know that at least on the west coast if you keep your nose clean and don't get caught up with the wrong people you're probably fine, that being said if the same informal rule doesn't hold for long island we'd like to know.

I have read that there was a pretty bad turf war between the crips and bloods a couple of years ago, has this subsided at all? or alternatively was this blown out of proportion because of the book written about it?

Thanks for your help

Old 05-17-2016, 07:13 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_moonshine View Post
Hello all, my wife and I will be moving to Long Island in the next few months and will be working in Garden City. We are not east coast natives and we are looking for a home to buy and have noticed a few places we could afford in Hempstead, we cannot afford to live in the more affluent neighborhoods around Garden City. I have read that Hempstead is not a very safe place and many people say to avoid it all costs. I am wondering if anyone can give advice on a specific section, i have looked up crime rates, maps, and stats and it seems that there are some areas which are really bad (linden triangle, terrace ave) but some which as pretty middle class and suburby. The area we are looking at is between Long Beach and Baldwin closer to where the two streets intersect. Can anyone give some info on that area?

We are both young and white from middle class families trying to build a life for ourselves, we are used to being in average neighborhoods and realize that crime is present everywhere we go. We have lived in not so nice parts of the bay area and oakland in california. we don't care so much about someone smoking pot on the corner or some idiots loitering around, we want to avoid being mugged or assaulted or raped or being a bystander in a drive by (also don't want our house burgled).

In addition, having lived around gangs and gang violence before we know that at least on the west coast if you keep your nose clean and don't get caught up with the wrong people you're probably fine, that being said if the same informal rule doesn't hold for long island we'd like to know.

I have read that there was a pretty bad turf war between the crips and bloods a couple of years ago, has this subsided at all? or alternatively was this blown out of proportion because of the book written about it?

Thanks for your help
You can't be serious can you?

If you are, why not look for a house in Baldwin or the northern part of Freeport? Or West Hempstead?

What's your budget?

There are some nice parts of Hempstead village but the property taxes are astronomical. I just can't see for whom buying there makes sense for.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:16 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
You're confusing the Town of Hempstead (between Long Beach and Baldwin is a fairly broad area), which encompasses many smaller towns, hamlets and villages, with the Village of Hempstead, which trust me - you don't want to live in. Yes, it's as bad as you're reading. The "nice" part of Hempstead Village is Cathedral Gardens, which looks like the nicest part of Garden City, but for the life of me I've never been able to understand the attraction.

Tell us your budget and we'll tell you some decent places to live near Garden City.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:32 PM

973 posts, read 1,410,132 times
If you will be working in Garden City and will be driving to work than you can live pretty much anywhere in Nassau or western Suffolk counties and have a workable commute. You shouldn't shoehorn yourself into a crappy area simply because you can't afford garden city.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 PM

204 posts, read 296,932 times
If you mean Long Beach Rd and Baldwin, close to where they meet, I actually lived just about there for 2.5 years (2011-2013). It was all we could afford at the time. Although it looks decent and not as bad as other parts of Hempstead, it's not much better. From day to day it was mostly ok. But, over the course of that 2.5 years the following happened:

- a driveby killing on the corner of the block I lived on, early 30s guy was shot on the street.
- a body was found two blocks away from my house
- coming home late one night from a wedding we heard a lot of gunshots, read in the paper next day 2 blocks over a house was shot up
- I witnessed the house next to mine being robbed during the night while the house was being renovated
- a man about a block away stored fighting pitbulls in a van in front of his house
- gunshots heard at night at least a few times a week
- someone began using my address as theirs and even had a NY drivers license sent to my house, with their name and photo and my address, which I turned in to the DMV
- multiple questionable people, at different times, asked me if I would take quarters in exchange for bills...late at night while I was taking out the garbage (not the worst thing in the world, but not exactly desirable)
- local pizza delivery guy, who we were friendly with, ended up murdering a 17 year old kid with a machete over a dice game (no joke, google it)

So, no, don't move there.

Last edited by Apple juice; 05-17-2016 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
I don't know why anyone would buy a house in Hempstead or Roosevelt, is it even that much cheaper than somewhere like Baldwin?

Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,761 times
the place we were looking at is between long beach rd and baldwin rd and north of windsor parkway, the reason we were drawn to this place was first because it is close to where we will be working, and secondly because of the lot size. however, if we really are going to have to deal with gunfire and machete fights then we will likely avoid the area. we also saw a place we liked near the garden city/hempstead border, it was just south of meadow between morrell and washington, is this area any better?

our budget is $300,000.00

we will be new to the area and really have no idea about the area so any help or direction is appreciated

Last edited by green_moonshine; 05-17-2016 at 11:59 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 04:24 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
the place we were looking at is between long beach rd and baldwin rd and north of windsor parkway, the reason we were drawn to this place was first because it is close to where we will be working, and secondly because of the lot size. however, if we really are going to have to deal with gunfire and machete fights then we will likely avoid the area. we also saw a place we liked near the garden city/hempstead border, it was just south of meadow between morrell and washington, is this area any better?

we will be new to the area and really have no idea about the area so any help or direction is appreciated
No that area is not ok. Are you listening? You want to AVOID Hempstead altogether.

Your budget is extremely low for Nassau County and even western Suffolk. Have you budgeted for property taxes on Long Island? DO you know they go up every year? Where are you moving from? You're not getting a large lot size on your budget in Nassau in a decent area so resign yourself to that right now.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:47 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,883 times
Quote:

Thanks for your help
Since you already state that you are a young white couple I will tell you that you do NOT want to buy in that area! Many people that do not know the area well do confuse the Village of Hempstead & the Town of Hempstead all the time. The Town Of Hempstead is huge & has many towns within it & covers a very large area. You want to avoid the actual Village Of Hempstead at all costs. Your budget of $300,000 is VERY low for a decent area that is anywhere near Garden City. I highly suggest since you mention already that you do NOT know the area at all (figured that by area you are inquiring about) your wife & you should rent at least for the 1st year. Once you know job is stable & you are staying on LI then you can look to buy. By then you will be able to get to have known the area & where best for you to buy as well as where to avoid.

Now on the flipside. When it comes to renting on LI it is VERY expensive probably compared to what you are used to getting for your $$ in other areas. Depending on your monthly rental budget you might not find everything you want & expect in a rental here on LI. Garden City for the most part is expensive. Don't forget the property & school taxes are amongst the highest in the nation on LI. Also you do not mention kids or pets. I bring that up because it is very hard to find a good rental on LI if you have either kids or pets. Most rentals are in people's private homes where they too live under that same roof. They turn down just about anyone with kids &/or pets. There are many legal apt complexes here but they are pricey.

Best of Luck.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:02 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,883 times
Quote:

Like was already said that area is NOT good. The area you mention above is probably worse than that area in your original post! That is right along the LIRR tracks! LIRR stands for Long Island Rail Road. Just about the busiest commuter rail systems in the country. You came here for advice. Myself & others have told you do NOT buy there! Just go there one day & I bet in just a few short seconds you will run fast! The very low asking prices of the homes you are interested in are VERY LOW for a good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island