Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:42 PM

755 posts, read 1,081,192 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm aware that Asia consists of a lot of countries. Geography lesson aside, the term commonly used as representing asian are the folks you see walking around Flushing. The Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Malaysians, etc.

And when you walk around the few blocks off the LIRR stop near the University and Hospital, its like walking in Flushing. Chinese folks left and right. shops and restaurants specifically catering to them. There is no such area in Smithtown, accept maybe the Smithhaven Mall area. But the majority of the asians there are also from the SBU, but that would be my guess. Stonybrook also has its own Chinese School being advertised in the restaurants and shops. The residents must be there to support the business.

If any part of Suffolk has a chance of becoming Long Island's first chinatown, its Stonybrook. Look at the chinese investors buying up homes and turning them into SROs, aka dormitories. With the biotech boom in the area, expect more and more Chinese investment.

The R&T places in smithtown is getting out of control. 2 more opened up on Lake. From what I'm reading, Brookhaven is clamping down. Could be reason why more are moving into smithtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Yes, I'm aware that Asia consists of a lot of countries. Geography lesson aside, the term commonly used as representing asian are the folks you see walking around Flushing. The Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Malaysians, etc.

And when you walk around the few blocks off the LIRR stop near the University and Hospital, its like walking in Flushing. Chinese folks left and right. shops and restaurants specifically catering to them. There is no such area in Smithtown, accept maybe the Smithhaven Mall area. But the majority of the asians there are also from the SBU, but that would be my guess. Stonybrook also has its own Chinese School being advertised in the restaurants and shops. The residents must be there to support the business.

If any part of Suffolk has a chance of becoming Long Island's first chinatown, its Stonybrook. Look at the chinese investors buying up homes and turning them into SROs, aka dormitories. With the biotech boom in the area, expect more and more Chinese investment.

The R&T places in smithtown is getting out of control. 2 more opened up on Lake. From what I'm reading, Brookhaven is clamping down. Could be reason why more are moving into smithtown.
I live north of 25A and close to the LIRR in Stony Brook by SBU. It is nothing at all like 'walking in Flushing' as you would suggest. That's a gross exaggeration to say the least. You might have driven through when the students cross 25A to buy dinner and then cross back onto campus. Come Friday night you will see a number of my Orthodox Jewish neighbors. Within a half mile radius of my home I can count on 1 hand the number of homes owned/occupied by Asian people. (If we count interracial marriages, we need two hands.)

As for walking around the hospital: on east campus there is grad student housing. A number of foreign students reside there. Let me make clear that this is ON campus. Walk out into the surrounding neighborhoods and you're going to see mostly Caucasian faces.

Did you know that there are Asian students who attend the SBS (Stony Brook School for those unfamiliar) right across from the LIRR? You might see some SBS students walking between classes to 7's, DD, or 1089. The Knox School over in St James/Smithtown also has a sizable Asian student population, if you weren't aware.

The Chinese restaurants within walking distance of the LIRR are frequented by all manner of people, not just Asians. The students and local kids tend to go to 1089 because it is less expensive. As for the newest place (hasn't yet opened) it is northern Chinese which is different from the Chinese most of us would get in any number of Chinese restaurants anywhere on LI. FWIW there are at least 5 Chinese restaurants in Smithtown, which is on par with Stony Brook's 5. Even where I grew up in Matzohpizza we had 4 Chinese places very close by. It certainly wasn't because we had a large Asian population.

I'm just curious why you have only singled out Chinese/Japanese/Koreans, etc., when discussing Asians. A large part of our Asian population is from India, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Israel, and Russia. In fact, we have two Indian restaurants on 25A in neighboring 11733. One within walking distance of campus.

Are there some Asian rentals? Yes, and they are mostly south of the university. Residents have brought valid complaints before the Town of Brookhaven and to SBU. We now have the Town actively cracking down on illegal rentals. Some have been sold and converted back to family homes while others have come into compliance. At a recent homeowners meeting, the director mentioned that our neighbors in St James are starting to experience problems with illegal rentals as the landlords grow discouraged in Stony Brook.

Living in a community where there is a large university is appealing to many, off putting to some. We have access to much of the university has to offer such as film festivals, concerts and performances at Staller center, Div 1 sports, lecture series, the Chinese school. (I'm enrolled in free Mandarin classes come fall.) People can audit classes if they wish. As an SBU student from ages ago, it is wonderful to connect and keep engaged.

The local storefronts on 25A, in the Village, and down on 347 are rented out, save for one or two vacancies. We can't complain about empty storefronts. Lake Avenue in St James is looking long in the tooth as are parts of Main St in Smithtown. This baffles me as I have always considered Smithtown a nice area. Smithtown Moms (FB Group) will bemoan this situation from time to time.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:49 PM

755 posts, read 1,081,192 times
Please forgive my ignorance. Is there a better term then just asian? Is it more correct to call them as East Asian? I used to call the Oriental, but have been corrected about using that term, and have stopped.

I usually consider Indians as South Asian. And the The Curry Club is one of my favorite places.

I way over exaggerated it being like Flushing. As a one time Flushing resident, Long Island will never have a place over crowded like Flushing. But I've been there quite often around and see a lot of Chinese students. And yes, I have no reason to be there other then lunch or dinner times.

St James is white every where I look. Except for this little area on Lake. I'm guessing this is what you are describing as the Asian rentals moving to the next town. East Asian folks don't hurt real estate value, so I have no issue with the housing around Lake becoming rentals. But please keep the massage parlors out. I know its just a coincidence, but massage parlor moved into this little strip, a few months later, Patio Pizza moves to the next block. No one wants their business next to a massage Parlor. Luckily Patio's didn't just close. The massage parlor opens across from Dowlings, and the neighboring restaurants Zar and Tic Toc close. All coincidence? Maybe.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Really? Wow. Learn something every day I guess. I guess city areas don't qualify as "industrial parks"?

Is this counting all of Vets Highway/454 from Hauppauge all the way to /BohemiaHolbrook? That entire road is industrial city.
Many city areas have a mix of industry and housing while the industrial parks are very large expanses dedicated/zoned solely to industrial/research/commercial use.

I had been told it is the 2nd largest, and my understanding is this referred to Hauppauge. Looking further into this, I have read that it is the largest industrial park on the east coast; while Silicon Valley is the largest in the nation. I can not find anything which lays out the exact borders. I did find this article in the LI Press from July 2015 which gave acreage and went on to discuss an overlay district approved by the Smithtown Planning Dept allowing the park vertical expansion opportunities along with the potential to increase the tax base.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2015...dd-space-jobs/

Some other tidbits to read:

MOVING ON UP: THE HAUPPAUGE INDUSTRIAL PARK OVERLAY DISTRICT » Brown Altman Law Firm

Smithtown board OKs overlay district; no signal interference for HBO | Newsday

Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Please forgive my ignorance. Is there a better term then just asian? Is it more correct to call them as East Asian? I used to call the Oriental, but have been corrected about using that term, and have stopped. I hear you. A lot of times I'll refer (sometimes incorrectly) to the East Asians as Chinese as the majority of the students do hail from China.

I usually consider Indians as South Asian. And the The Curry Club is one of my favorite places.

I way over exaggerated it being like Flushing. As a one time Flushing resident, Long Island will never have a place over crowded like Flushing. But I've been there quite often around and see a lot of Chinese students. And yes, I have no reason to be there other then lunch or dinner times.

St James is white every where I look. Except for this little area on Lake. I'm guessing this is what you are describing as the Asian rentals moving to the next town. East Asian folks don't hurt real estate value, so I have no issue with the housing around Lake becoming rentals. But please keep the massage parlors out. I know its just a coincidence, but massage parlor moved into this little strip, a few months later, Patio Pizza moves to the next block. No one wants their business next to a massage Parlor. Luckily Patio's didn't just close. The massage parlor opens across from Dowlings, and the neighboring restaurants Zar and Tic Toc close. All coincidence? Maybe.
While Smithtown Moms haven't cited anyplace on Lake as a massage parlor, they have noted many businesses either moving or closing up. I was surprised when Werner Glass left and the parlor you mentioned went up in its place. Even my rheumatologist who was set to build a new office on Lake Ave decided to move into a professional building by 347. The Capitalone on the corner of Lake and Woodlawn is scheduled to close.

Like you wrote I can only guess that the SUNY rentals are near Lake. This is also pushing into Centereach and Nesconset, too. In terms of hurting real estate values, it is property owned by an absentee landlord which tends to create problems and hurt values. As residents, it is up to us to make certain that our towns enforce codes put in place so that we all can enjoy our communities.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:57 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,116,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
While Smithtown Moms haven't cited anyplace on Lake as a massage parlor, they have noted many businesses either moving or closing up. I was surprised when Werner Glass left and the parlor you mentioned went up in its place. Even my rheumatologist who was set to build a new office on Lake Ave decided to move into a professional building by 347. The Capitalone on the corner of Lake and Woodlawn is scheduled to close.

Like you wrote I can only guess that the SUNY rentals are near Lake. This is also pushing into Centereach and Nesconset, too. In terms of hurting real estate values, it is property owned by an absentee landlord which tends to create problems and hurt values. As residents, it is up to us to make certain that our towns enforce codes put in place so that we all can enjoy our communities.
Werner Glass is gone?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Werner Glass is gone?
A few years now. Partially operating out of St James Lumber.

St. James Glass Shop Exits Lake Avenue - Smithtown NY Patch

Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
When you drive up to HSE one of the gyms is off by itself, has both boys and girls locker rooms and would easily fit a 25 meter pool. So if you were to open the pool to the community for lessons and public swimming to generate extra revenue, which most school pools do, you wouldn't need to walk through the rest of the school. I'm not sure of the names of each of the rooms but when you go inside there are 4 large separate gyms all high ceiling with hardwood floors, not including weight room. My HS, also a large HS only had one maybe two gyms. Why does a school with about 2,000 students need 4 gyms? Keep in mind they don't even have a boys gymnastics team, there's only girls gymnastics.

I believe there's a similar set up at HSW with many gyms, at least 3, possibly 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Are you sure that there are 4 gyms? Where is this 4th gym that you are talking about? Your post makes it sound like a separate building, but I don't see it in the street view.

I do remember 3 gyms. The main gym, the auxiliary gym (or was it called the old gym?), and in between the 2, I forget if it was called the "middle gym" or the "center gym". But that was a smaller gym that, if I remember right, was usually used as a wrestling room or a dance room. I also seem to remember that when the stands in the main gym were open, it blocked the main entrance to the main gym, so you had to cut through the center gym.

Where in the aerial view is this 4th gym? If you look at an aerial view of the building (10 School Street, St. James), the gyms are in the southwest corner of the building, in an area that has a different color roof. The southernmost section, with the roof twice as high, is the main gym. Directly north of that is the center gym. Further north, the other area with the higher roof is the auxiliary gym. The area to the west is the boys' locker room; the area to the east is the girls' locker room. I assume I'm remembering right; I haven't been in that building since 1993.

Are you also saying that this 4th gym has a separate set of locker rooms? I only remember 1 set of locker rooms.

For what it's worth, a document on the Smithtown school district website that lists the room utilization for each building claims that HS East has 2.5 gyms. Presumably that counts the main and auxiliary gyms each as 1, and the center gym as half. But where does this alleged 4th gym fit into that?

Do you know for sure that this 4th gym actually exists, and that it was seriously intended as a pool? Or was that just a rumor that seniors told freshmen? At HS West, the rumor was that a pool was intended to be above the library, but that was obviously not true. At HS East, the rumor was that there was supposed to be a pool on the 4th floor (the building only has 3 floors, but there are stairways leading to the roof).

HS West has a main gym and an auxiliary gym on the 2nd floor. Below that, I remember there being a weight room, a wrestling room, and a dance room, although I do not remember if the wrestling and dance rooms were the same room or separate. Unlike the center gym at HS East, these were not rooms with hardwood floors and high ceilings. That 1st floor area with the weight room, wrestling room, and dance room was clearly added later than the rest of the building. It looked completely different from any other area of the building, and you had to go through an unmarked door to get to it, and it wasn't even shown on the building map.

The room utilization report shows only 2 gyms for HS West. So it seems that the wrestling and dance rooms don't count. Or I wonder if perhaps those rooms have been repurposed for some other use.
Any response about this alleged 4th gym / proposed pool at Smithtown East?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 AM

109 posts, read 96,356 times
Default No pool for smithtown

If this was proposed it would have been a long time ago (sorry didn't I mention that in original post). Smithtown only has an outdoor pool complex open about 2 months out of the year, so the Smithtown swim team gets to use the Hauppauge pool when time allows which is usually at 5 AM. This is a huge drawback for my family because we love swimming.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:44 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post

If this was proposed it would have been a long time ago (sorry didn't I mention that in original post). Smithtown only has an outdoor pool complex open about 2 months out of the year, so the Smithtown swim team gets to use the Hauppauge pool when time allows which is usually at 5 AM. This is a huge drawback for my family because we love swimming.
But you keep saying that Smithtown East has 4 gyms, and that one is somehow separate and has separate locker rooms. I keep asking (but am not getting a response) how I only recall 3 gyms, I only see 3 in the aerial view, and the building inventory that I found online lists 2.5 gyms. I also recall West having the same facilities but the inventory only lists 2 gyms for that building for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island