Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 AM

11 posts, read 10,781 times

Advertisements

Well, I did it. I called TOH on my neighbor for code violations. Not proud, but it was a really dangerous situation and the homeowner was never home to address. A child on the block stepped on a nail in the street from this job...homeowner never cleaned up-numerous nails & screws in the street. Our tree limbs were broken & knocked down when they got construction deliveries, and they never even pick up their heads to offer a hello (they are new to our neighborhood).
My question is...the call was placed anonymously. Is there anyway they can find out who complained? The homeowner finally said hello the other day and admitted they got shut down and he knows who called...he said their lawyer found out even though TOH is not allowed to divulge.
I'm willing to admit to it if they are in the know, but I think he's bluffing and trying to feel me out.
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 10:44 AM

7,964 posts, read 9,180,543 times
Nothing to feel bad about. He and his lawyer can pound sand. There are rules to follow, he is not immune to the rules. If he doesn't like it, he can sell the house and go back to where he came from.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:48 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
He doesn't know who called. When he said that my response would have been "really who called?" He's trying to find out if it was you. No worries.

PS this is your first post, what's the back story?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:41 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,992,281 times
When our neighbor called TOH on us, the inspector told us it was our neighbor. Our circumstances were a bit different though, because our neighbor had mental health issues and the TOH found the complaint to be unfounded. She reported us fo renting out our basement to day laborers, meanwhile the house was completely gutted, and hadn't been occupied for months. Maybe TOH told us because they were upset that the call was false? Idk.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the insight everyone!
The call was placed anonymously, so the only way they'd know is if TOH has caller ID and they kept a log and then looked it up and gave the neighbors the phone number...my imagination is going a little wild here haha.

Some back story....all work was done outside, basically on the sidewalk and street, not even in their driveway. Took down a major support to a front deck. I don't even care about the work they wanted to do...it was the aftermath everyday...nails in tires, rusty screws and splinters of wood all over street and sidewalk from a pallet that had burst when it was lifted by small crane. It was dangerous and a complete lack of respect for any of us.

I'll admit to calling if they know it's me, but if they're bluffing, I'd rather just move forward. I didn't think TOH could violate privacy like that. What if the neighbor flipped a switch and started a physical altercation?!?

Old 06-25-2016, 01:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,810,112 times
Yea they can find out. My brother sunken boat in our backyard and someone complained and when we asked who lodged the complaint, they told us point blank.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Yea they can find out. My brother sunken boat in our backyard and someone complained and when we asked who lodged the complaint, they told us point blank.
But maybe that person gave their name when they lodged the complaint. I did it anonymously...how would they be able to find out?

Old 06-25-2016, 03:19 PM

755 posts, read 1,082,107 times
Your neighbor came over to feel you out. Probably went around to feel everyone out.

Depending on how horrible of a liar you are, he knows its you now.

You should've just talked to the guy first.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:37 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,900,884 times
Why not call from a cell phone?

Anyway, if they knew it was you, they wouldn't be saying it to you in the first place.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Your neighbor came over to feel you out. Probably went around to feel everyone out.

Depending on how horrible of a liar you are, he knows its you now.

You should've just talked to the guy first.
They were never there to talk to as I wrote in my original post. It's a 2nd house for them. I would have gladly spoken face to face if the opportunity was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island