Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 4,779 times

Advertisements

I filled out an app for a newly built apartments in valley stream. I got a letter saying they received the app and the gave me a log# in the low 80's. but I notice the letter they sent had the wrong building name that I didn't apply for. Has anyone ever experience this before and does this create problems for my opportunity of getting the apartment. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 05:02 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgesxt View Post
I filled out an app for a newly built apartments in valley stream. I got a letter saying they received the app and the gave me a log# in the low 80's. but I notice the letter they sent had the wrong building name that I didn't apply for. Has anyone ever experience this before and does this create problems for my opportunity of getting the apartment. Thanks for any info.
What building did u apply for and what building did u get? Maybe it's gone by multiple names. There's only one new building in VS that works like that.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:50 PM

The building was the brooke pointe at valley stream and the letter says the horizon at locust manor.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,524 times
I suggest you contact Strathmore Communities directly at 516-437-0900. They have 5 communities on LI I believe. Best to get answer straight from the horse's mouth rather than here. There should be contact info in the letter you rec'd as well. Locust Manor might be their "main" location possibly & shows up like that for everyone. But definitely call as mistakes can happen. Good luck getting approved for apt.Just saw why you would be very concerned here. Seems Locust Manor one is located in Springfield Gardens. I would NOT want to live there. Would call immediately Monday morning first thing.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:27 AM

Thanks. I definitely will. I just hope it doesn't change my log# and put me farther away from getting the apartment. I didn't even know this was a lottery. I got the app and filled It out with copies of everything they needed and sent it back the next day. When I called weeks later because I haven't heard anything from them. She explained it was lottery to get in. I thought it was the quicker you get your app in the more chances you had of getting the apartment because I know they only have 39 units available. I felt like I hustled to get the app in and my chances are just the same as someone who completed it later. I'm new to this so some of it will be a learning process. I use to call to see if they had apps for the apt when it was being built they said no. but not until the third time I called someone told no but they could put me on the waiting list. if I knew that for before I would asked the first time I called.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:59 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,216 times
Quote:
Thanks. I definitely will. I just hope it doesn't change my log# and put me farther away from getting the apartment. I didn't even know this was a lottery. I got the app and filled It out with copies of everything they needed and sent it back the next day. When I called weeks later because I haven't heard anything from them. She explained it was lottery to get in. I thought it was the quicker you get your app in the more chances you had of getting the apartment because I know they only have 39 units available. I felt like I hustled to get the app in and my chances are just the same as someone who completed it later. I'm new to this so some of it will be a learning process. I use to call to see if they had apps for the apt when it was being built they said no. but not until the third time I called someone told no but they could put me on the waiting list. if I knew that for before I would asked the first time I called.
I live a couple blocks away. It looks like a very nice building and it's a very nice neighborhood. Some people are anxious about its effect on the neighborhood. I've seen the application though and my view is anyone with the patience and diligence to get through that probably has their sh*t together sufficiently to be a good neighbor. (It is right on top of the train tracks though.) Best of luck.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah their website shows the 5 locations they have & it is very vague really. But there is an application process that they have. The one in Springfield Garden appears to be for the Elderly population only. If you are elderly that may be why they automatically might have put you on the list for that location. Just a hunch. Those lotteries are a long tedious process. Gets daunting sometimes. As many people wait a long time. Go through lots of interviews & steps. Many times during that process a persons household changes too! So if you are approved now & they just put you on a waitlist. Chances are by the time you get called for an availability you will no longer qualify on paper possibly. Head this all the time from people.

This is their website is case you never saw it before. http://www.strathmorecommunities.com/

Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 PM

Thank for all info. cant wait until tomorrow to call. Hopefully just an error on there part. I don't know if that log# stands for the order I'm in. I guess I going to have to start looking at other places. I was set on this place it was 10mins from my job 2 stops if I took the railroad, supermarket was up the block.it was a good a location for my family and I. But just hearing for the responses this lottery thing seems like such a long process.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:27 PM

Your welcome. Happy to help. Yeah,when it comes to those lotteries & other affordable places you can never count on being approved & getting it. Remember there is lots of competition & you are definitely not the only one looking. Your log in number honestly is fine. Would not worry. Most people do not get far once contacted & then they move to the next person. Getting approved is not easy as you have to pass all their guidelines. Then you have to win the lottery drawing if this is the type of thing that WinCoram was. Who knows how many people applied. There could be a few hundred that applied for each apt available or much less.

This was application for WinCoram apts. They are filled already so not open for applications anymore there. But the way they did it was they took applications over a period of time. And the select few that were actually eligible & approved still had to have their names put in a bin & picked out among many other people that "played" this lotto game. Many people were actually present. Even the news media on the day of the drawing!
http://www.cdcli.org/userfiles/file/...pplication.pdf

Old 07-18-2016, 09:23 PM

I called them and they confirmed that I am on the list for Brooke pointe at valley stream. I guess the wrong letter was sent in error. lets see what happens. but they should prob start getting things rolling because the building looks like its completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island