Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Good for another watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjpppudNkk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM

149 posts, read 317,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Honestly, for Great Neck, that isn't a bad deal.

Great Neck has fantastic schools, great municipal services, totally safe, a vibrant downtown, extremely fast train to Manhattan, and the people who live there (heavily Persian Jews) have the luxury of their ethnic community right at their doorstep.

I mean, what does 865k buy in a nice part of Manhattan or Brooklyn these days? A small one bedroom. In my Brooklyn neighborhood, two bedrooms/two baths, ideal for one kid only, are going for about $1.2-$1.5 million.

Of course, Manhattan/Brooklyn are much more desirable than Great Neck, and I would much rather live in NYC. But for some people who are OK with the suburbs, Great Neck offers quite a bit. At least it's walkable and semi-urban, not some sprawlsville like Dix Hills.
I like my "sprawlsville" Dix Hills. Congestion of Nassau is not for me.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
There are certain towns in Westchester, Connecticut, NJ and Long Island that have very similar, attractive characteristics and are very popular with affluent, upper-middle class professionals due to walkability, plenty of activities for both kids and adults, fast train to NYC, excellent schools, great restaurants, and overall, they are what you would call "pretty". Great Neck certainly fits the bill, so does Manhasset and somewhat, Port Washington in Long Island..
Great Neck looks more urban comparing to Manhasset and Port Washington. But yeah, they are all pretty.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Even the jewish population is different then the past. There are more persians and sefardics. Seems like the progressive secular jews that would have moved to Great Neck in the past are moving to Roslyn now.
True to a point, especially as you go further north into Great Neck. I would however say much of the southern portions of Great Neck's Jewish population is still primarily secular, and that is also where you have a much larger and fast growing Asian population. The same is also true in Roslyn, Jericho and albeit not to the same extent and not as wealthy, Plainview.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:35 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Great Neck blows. Always has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island