Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:10 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Never said it was Shangri-La

But the prices will attract people.
You can buy a house close to the beach for under $200k and rent it out for over $2k/month. Pretty basic math if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:25 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
You can buy a house close to the beach for under $200k and rent it out for over $2k/month. Pretty basic math if you ask me.
And then comes the summertime businesses. Need to cater to them.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
I didn't say my town because it's not relevant to this conversation which is about Shirley, right?. I narrowed it to western Suffolk. Let me guess, I name my town so you can go hunt on Zillow for houses just like the one you posted? Sure, every town has them (though likely similarly conditioned homes in my area would go for the highest valued homes in Shirley which isn't saying much), but they're a dime a dozen out there.

Interestingly you seem to not mention much about the homes you post in Shirley. Are you aware they are short sales and are in conditions that need to be majorly overhauled or even bulldozed? I'm can't even understand what point you were trying to make with this recent one...is that supposed to be eye opening? Like we should jump on that gem? Or are you posting it because its super cheap? I scanned the link in 5 seconds to see its a piece of crap in a crap area with crap schools and is being sold at a giant loss from its previous sale. I truly don't get it.

I also like the insinuations that I come here to falsely slam Shirley (or Mastic which typically go hand in hand) because they aren't deserving in such.
If Pidge saw me and seventh walking down his street he'd probably sell his house.

Tell us your town, I'll tell you how it's a rip off.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
If Pidge saw me and seventh walking down his street he'd probably sell his house.

Tell us your town, I'll tell you how it's a rip off.
LoL

Old 09-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And then comes the summertime businesses. Need to cater to them.
New charter fishing boat businesses, new surf shop, etc... Maybe an oyster bar on a barge. Sky the limit with prices so low. Used to be like that on Morgan ave.

Already got a fish market and a butcher. Business will be attracted to the prices. Patchogue has gotten too expensive.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 AM

67 posts, read 68,287 times
I can't consider Shirley being as crappy as Mastic. I think it gets a bad rap because there are areas within that are considered low income or just plain ghetto. I have relatives that live in the area, but they have a nice house and the surrounding area isn't trash at all. It's a quiet and what seems to be, a nice neighborhood. Maybe it depends on which side of the parkway you're on.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Diversity has nothing to do with all of the concerns I have noted, as the bulk of the problems in Shirley are with white people, so nice try. Besides the fact that Shirley is nearly 90% white anyway....Sorry your racism card doesn't play here. Shows how much you even know about the area.

It's funny that you keep trying to spin this like things I have mentioned are somehow not true. And your only defense is that you can buy a "cheap house by the water". So what? So people can buy cheap near water so they can go kayaking in one of the lowest rated areas on Long Island? How is that enticing?

Go ahead, you keep changing that screen name. Have a rip roaring time, pal.
I never said it wasn't the hood. Of course it is, but a mild one for sure. Nevertheless prices are that of the worst neighborhoods in NYS. You couldn't find prices like this in the worst sections of Albany or Upstate Appalachia, and those areas are no where near the Hamptons, Fire Island, and Bellport. Or even by NYC for that matter. Plus the new generation entering the business of owning real assets are very differently minded than me and you and the generations prior. For one they are cheap. On top of that they want diversity, which the Mastics and Shirley have a lot of.

The water is all the same. I've seen people kayaking in the East River, and canoeing in the Newtown Creek for crying out loud.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM

1,186 posts, read 102,075 times
Stop calling me Shirley!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:03 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Calories View Post
I can't consider Shirley being as crappy as Mastic. I think it gets a bad rap because there are areas within that are considered low income or just plain ghetto. I have relatives that live in the area, but they have a nice house and the surrounding area isn't trash at all. It's a quiet and what seems to be, a nice neighborhood. Maybe it depends on which side of the parkway you're on.
I lived there for over six years. There is not a huge difference between Shirley and either Mastic. Really, it's on a block by block basis.

Elementary schools are a better indications of the neighborhoods, and each elementary school serves more than one hamlet.

I'd say the original Tangiers area of Shirley is fairly free from blight, but when I was last there
Shirley had some pretty bad areas. The area near and around Brightwood and Robinwood was pretty sketchy.

For example, Riviera and Wavecrest were fairly nice. I just found this https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-91604?view=qv

This is going back almost 20 years, though.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-19-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd say the original Tangiers area of Shirley is fairly free from blight, but when I was last there
Shirley had some pretty bad areas. The area near and around Brightwood and Robinwood was pretty sketchy.

What do I type in to see what you're talking about on Google Street Views?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island