Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,079 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I recently got a job at the North Shore-LIJ hospital in New Hyde Park and I am planning to move closer to the area. I don't want to live in New Hyde Park because there doesn't seem to be much going on there! It's my first time living in the city and I would like to live in an area where there is some nightlife yet a relatively safe area as I will be on my own. I'm a 22 year girl so I'm not interested in the residential areas of Queens. I definitely want to be in Queens but I don't know what areas are fun/safe and still not a ridiculous commute (I won't have a car) into New Hyde Park. I know there are buses that run straight to the hospital but I am REALLY unfamiliar with public transportation there. Also, areas that are not SUPER EXPENSIVE! I need to start searching for roommates as well and I'm not not sure how much rent can be for a decent place in Queens. I know Astoria is supposed to be great but that would be a long commute to New Hyde Park and I have been told it can be quite expensive.

So 3 questions:
1. Some good areas to live in Queens with nightlife that are not a long bus/train ride to the hospital in New Hyde Park?
2. What buses/trains run to New Hyde Park from the area you recommend (if you know)?
3. Any good sites to search for roommates? (I know craigslist but any others?)

Thanks in advance! I am super nervous about being on my own out there so I really appreciate everyone's help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
I would check our Forest Hills or Kew Gardens.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM

75 posts, read 292,501 times
Bayside

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,382 times
Woodside / Sunnyside / Jackson Heights (Historical District). Queens Blvd is loaded with Irish Bars and you can get into Manhattan pretty quickly on the 7.

If your near the Woodside LIRR stop the commute wont be that bad.

In Bayside the LIRR doesn't transfer through Jamaica to get to NHP. IMO there isn't much going on in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens.

Last edited by raiser; 12-11-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 PM

28 posts, read 45,124 times
The Q46 runs runs from Queens Blvd & Union Turnpike (E/F subway) to LIJ with frequent service. According to the schedule its like 30-45 minutes.

This is the schedule:
http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedul...ns/q046cur.pdf
This is the queens bus map:
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

You can't take the QM6 express bus (which is $5.50) because going to LIJ its drop off only in Queens (you can't board) & from LIJ, its pickup only in Queens.

As for living:
along Queens Blvd from Forrest Hills to Elmhurst is pretty vibrant & the E/F subway already run there, so its probably a 4 minute subway ride - 50-70 minutes total. Woodside is about 15 minutes on the E/F from Union Tpk which translates into 55-70min without the walk to the subway & missed connections.

Jackson Heights along the 7 if your up for a more international Mama's Empanadas/masala vibe, but then to get to work you'd have to take the 7 to Broadway/Roosevelt Ave & have that heinous escalator ride to transfer to the underground lines.

If you live in Bayside along Northern Blvd, you take the N20/N21 bus to Great Neck & transfer to the N25. Nassau buses don't run as frequently as MTA buses - decidedly less delicious in winter. The LIRR schedule amounts to 15m walk to LIRR + 10m ride+15m wait +10m bus. Plus its $4.50+2.25 one way.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
your better off with queens blvd buddy forget bayside N25 runs like **** compared to Q46

Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
OP, the million dollar question is..........what is your budget??

Astoria and Long Island City may be cool neighborhoods, but it would be a bit of a commute-- though it very well may be worth it to you.

You may also consider posting this in the NY City forum.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Bayside & Forest Hills

Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
You will not find any "cool" neighborhoods in Queens or Western nassau within reasonable commuting distance from LIJ.
Queens by its nature is a residential borough. There are some more "hip" areas as other's have posted, but they are not near LIJ. Either accept being uncool and focus on working at LIJ, or find a job a hospital in the city or closer to the city if you really want to be "cool".

Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 PM

147 posts, read 543,509 times
The best places for you would be either Forest Hills or Bayside by Bell Blvd. The problem though is that North Shore LIJ commute is tiring if you have to take the bus or LIRR everyday. I highly recommend that you purchase or lease a car so that you can still have a decent social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island