Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:09 AM

428 posts, read 970,350 times

Advertisements

I chose Huntington bc:

Reasonably priced/BEAUTIFUL homes
Taxes reasonable
Great schools (looking at Harborfields and possible Hungtington proper elemetary and middle schools/SPORTS/big clubs).
Large town feel/many family activities
Great shopping at my fingertips/for my convenience
Reasonable distance to me working in Nassau and commuting to Queens for my husband

Now after visiting upstate NY, we saw Nanuet and how similar it seemed to Long Island. Will I like it the same way (is anyone familar?). Seemed like the same amenities as above.

My daughter just turned 2, so we moving from Queens into a better school district for her. But I am a busy body and I like to get my errands done closeby, go shopping, have great gyms.

How will a town like Nanuet and Pearl River compare to my beloved Hungtington?

The reason we considered downstate NY is that we don't have any family or friends on the island. Not one. My husband's family lives in Queens, my family is in Florida (we fly all the time), my best friends in DC and Newark + Lowell Mass. Being all the way out east in L.I. doesn't make sense for us family-wise. But it's sill in the running.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
our kids used to live in white plains but now moved to scarsdale . they love it there , but it is costly .

Old 09-26-2016, 08:23 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,854 times
Westchester is much more desirable than LI for various reasons but the key question - where do you and your spouse work? If you work in midtown East, the commute via Metro North is easier than LIRR. If on the west side, LIRR holds the advantage.

As far as Nanuet/Pearl River - please read the Weschester/Rockland county City-Data threads that discuss demographic changes in the region - which have pushed many long time residents out of the area because all the local businesses are either being bought out by Hassidim or catering to them. There is growing resentment about how certain school districts have changed drastically due to the Orthodox presence. The area has really changed a lot in the past 10 years.

In Rockland County, non-Orthodox try to create alternative to Hasidic dominance | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/ny...oard.html?_r=0

Old 09-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Westchester is much more desirable than LI for various reasons but the key question - where do you and your spouse work? If you work in midtown East, the commute via Metro North is easier than LIRR. If on the west side, LIRR holds the advantage.

As far as Nanuet/Pearl River - please read the Weschester/Rockland county City-Data threads that discuss demographic changes in the region - which have pushed many long time residents out of the area because all the local businesses are either being bought out by Hassidim or catering to them. There is growing resentment about how certain school districts have changed drastically due to the Orthodox presence. The area has really changed a lot in the past 10 years.

In Rockland County, non-Orthodox try to create alternative to Hasidic dominance | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/ny...oard.html?_r=0
For us, it's not a key element. I left the job locations out specifically bc DH is willing to drive, and I didn't want to choose our house based on work location.

He works in Astoria.

I work in Garden City, but I will no longer be working there when we move. That's good to know about commuting into the city. I might go back into the city one day when my daughter gets older. I need to be close to home now.

We were having lunch in the area, and our 19 yr old server even told us about that resentment! I had no idea. We were chatting him up, and he told us about the Monsey area and how they stole the area for housing their religious temples. This is the next town over - that I know of, it doesn't affect Nanuet and Pearl River. And yes, I would definitely avoid that East Ramapo school district.

Now knowing this, what do you say?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
For us, it's not a key element. I left the job locations out specifically bc DH is willing to drive, and I didn't want to choose our house based on work location.

He works in Astoria.

I work in Garden City, but I will no longer be working there when we move. That's good to know about commuting into the city. I might go back into the city one day when my daughter gets older. I need to be close to home now.

We were having lunch in the area, and our 19 yr old server even told us about that resentment! I had no idea. We were chatting him up, and he told us about the Monsey area and how they stole the area for housing their religious temples. This is the next town over - that I know of, it doesn't affect Nanuet and Pearl River. And yes, I would definitely avoid that East Ramapo school district.

Now knowing this, what do you say?
Given that information, I would not move. If your husband works in Astoria, is he willing to drive over the RFK/Whitestone bridge every single day? Crossing a bridge as part of one's daily commute is a HUGE pain in the @#@!!! (my old firm had a White Plains office and some associates had to work there 2-3 days a week and constant delays over the bridge made it a nightmare commute).

Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Given that information, I would not move. If your husband works in Astoria, is he willing to drive over the RFK/Whitestone bridge every single day? Crossing a bridge as part of one's daily commute is a HUGE pain in the @#@!!! (my old firm had a White Plains office and some associates had to work there 2-3 days a week and constant delays over the bridge made it a nightmare commute).
We are moving regardless. We cannot stay in this bad SD in Queens. It was either buying in Huntington or buying in downstate.

Also - he starts work between 6-7am.

Does that change your answer?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:54 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,350 times
Quote:
We are moving regardless. We cannot stay in this bad SD in Queens. It was either buying in Huntington or buying in downstate.

Which SD in Queens?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Which SD in Queens?
The worst one you can think of. It's not an option to stay.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Also - he starts work between 6-7am.

I would not move to Westchester/Rockland, but given your desire to move - I would choose either Floral Park, NHP, Lynbrook/Valley Stream or any area in western Nassau County or remain in Queens (ie Middle Village, Maspeth, Bayside/Fresh Meadows/Bellerose).

Old 09-26-2016, 09:14 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,350 times
Quote:
The worst one you can think of. It's not an option to stay.
Hmm.....Far Rockaway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island