Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:40 PM

983 posts, read 725,513 times

Advertisements

This thread is soooo ridiculous.

Loribell38, i don't know you, but you sound terribly ignorant.
In most of the world there are jobs where you need to be fluent in more than one language in order to become a manager for example.

And to expect immigrants to speak in a language other than theirs AT HOME is just not understanding anything but being american.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 PM

384 posts, read 434,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
It was not on a Spanish channel. I don't watch Spanish channels.
This is really strange.
Why would Target spend money to advertise in Spanish on an English speaking channel?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:05 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
The great depression was a very prosperous time for all. You are correct though that the early 50's was a great time to be an American when the wealthiest Americans paid a fair share of their income in taxes.
Those high taxes also applied to the poor, who paid at least 20% income tax, as opposed to now, when these same people pay nothing. And there were a dozen or more loopholes for avoiding those "fair share" taxes, which didn't go away until the Reagan administration.

That being said, Trump's tax plans are not what I would choose. The carried interest exemption does need to go away, but I wouldn't reduce taxes on the wealthy like he's proposing. Not ideal, but I'll put up with it to address the bigger issues.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:41 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
This thread is soooo ridiculous.

Loribell38, i don't know you, but you sound terribly ignorant.
In most of the world there are jobs where you need to be fluent in more than one language in order to become a manager for example.

And to expect immigrants to speak in a language other than theirs AT HOME is just not understanding anything but being american.
Move to So. Fla then get a job...any job! Then if you speak only English & a promotion that you completely qualify for goes to someone that is less qualified than you are & they speak even Spanish ONLY then get back to me. Because English only speaking people down there will not move up the ladder as fast as workers that speak Spanish. Proof is in the pudding. It happened to my husband a few times. And even to many people we know. And it is not ignorance if you are speaking from experience!

And no! Not up here on LI and certainly not in SC. He has no problems getting the same jobs here on LI that he did in SC & So. Fla that in So Fla he was turned down for! And I don't care what they speak at home...was just mentioning it as an example!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island