Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM

16 posts, read 81,249 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of homes for sale inside the area north of 25A and South and West of North Country Rd. There are several houses just south of North Country Rd. that I plan to look at in the next week. Does anyone know about this area? Any general thoughts?

There are also a group of Sound Beach homes in the area east of Woodhull Landing Rd. that I'm planning to see. Any thoughts on this area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 14,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingonLI View Post
There are a lot of homes for sale inside the area north of 25A and South and West of North Country Rd. There are several houses just south of North Country Rd. that I plan to look at in the next week. Does anyone know about this area? Any general thoughts?

There are also a group of Sound Beach homes in the area east of Woodhull Landing Rd. that I'm planning to see. Any thoughts on this area?

Thanks!

Very nice areas, both of them. Typically North of 25A is more attractive than South as it's closer to the water. Sound Beach can be very nice too but is split between Miller Place School District and Rocky Point. Miller Place Schools have more cash and is generally thought of as a better District. Mt Sinai is a good District, too. Check to see if where you're looking has deeded beach rights, always a nice plus out here as you get access to private beaches.
Basically, there are beautiful quaint little rides to all the areas where you are looking. Be sure to ask your agent if they can go back to the office via an alternate route as they tend to drive you down scenic paths and there might be a convenience store around the block they purposely don't drive you by.
I love it out here (I'm a little farther out than where you are looking)! My kids are grown, now, but I'm glad I raised them in the area. They had woods to explore, beaches to have bonfires on and camp (again, deeded beach rights a plus), and mountain biking in their backyard. Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,941 times
Default new neighbor?

Hi there...

I just moved in up the street from where you are looking. My home is Lower Rocky Point Rd just east of Woodhull Landing. It is a very nice area. I have been there 3 months and these are my observations so far.

Good points -
1) Quiet neighborhood with a variety of homes. Its charming that all the houses look different. Sound beach is interesting in that there will be a 1 bedroom cottage next to a 7 bedroom monster!

2) Proximity to everything. There are a bunch of local businesses within walking distance...or its a 5-10 min drive to everything you need on 25A.

3) Very nice neighbors. Most people in the few blocks around me have been there 10 years or more and have been very nice. We have a Haitian daughter and a Chinese daughter...and everyone has been warm and welcoming! I can't say the same thing for most people in the Smith haven Mall who stare at us like we have 3 heads!

Not so good points -

1) People drive way too fast on Lower Rocky Point Rd. I have contacted Suffolk Police about it...and they say they will step up patrols because of other complaints...we will see. Side roads would be a little less hectic.

2) Some people don't keep their yards very clean...some junked cars and garbage. This not the majority however.

3) No storm drains!! You should consider this when looking for a home. There is a lot of ponding of water in peoples yards who live at the bottom of a hill. My advice is to look up!!

Overall we are very happy living there. Let me know if you need any other info...PM if necessary.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 AM

240 posts, read 1,057,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outintheback View Post
Very nice areas, both of them. Typically North of 25A is more attractive than South as it's closer to the water. Sound Beach can be very nice too but is split between Miller Place School District and Rocky Point. Miller Place Schools have more cash and is generally thought of as a better District. Mt Sinai is a good District, too. Check to see if where you're looking has deeded beach rights, always a nice plus out here as you get access to private beaches.
Basically, there are beautiful quaint little rides to all the areas where you are looking. Be sure to ask your agent if they can go back to the office via an alternate route as they tend to drive you down scenic paths and there might be a convenience store around the block they purposely don't drive you by.
I love it out here (I'm a little farther out than where you are looking)! My kids are grown, now, but I'm glad I raised them in the area. They had woods to explore, beaches to have bonfires on and camp (again, deeded beach rights a plus), and mountain biking in their backyard. Good Luck!
To the OP, don't be discouraged if a home is in the Rocky Point School District, it is an excellent school sysytem as well. I even know some people who prefer Rocky Point Schools to Miller Place. However, I do agree that the western side of Sound Beach is generally nicer. There are many beautiful neighborhoods in Rocky Point that you also may want to consider. If you are looking in Rocky Point Schools, I would stay in Rocky Point or South Miller Place, as there are some undesirable sections of Sound Beach.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Hi there...

I just moved in up the street from where you are looking. My home is Lower Rocky Point Rd just east of Woodhull Landing. It is a very nice area. I have been there 3 months and these are my observations so far.

Good points -
1) Quiet neighborhood with a variety of homes. Its charming that all the houses look different. Sound beach is interesting in that there will be a 1 bedroom cottage next to a 7 bedroom monster!

2) Proximity to everything. There are a bunch of local businesses within walking distance...or its a 5-10 min drive to everything you need on 25A.

3) Very nice neighbors. Most people in the few blocks around me have been there 10 years or more and have been very nice. We have a Haitian daughter and a Chinese daughter...and everyone has been warm and welcoming! I can't say the same thing for most people in the Smith haven Mall who stare at us like we have 3 heads!

Not so good points -

1) People drive way too fast on Lower Rocky Point Rd. I have contacted Suffolk Police about it...and they say they will step up patrols because of other complaints...we will see. Side roads would be a little less hectic.

2) Some people don't keep their yards very clean...some junked cars and garbage. This not the majority however.

3) No storm drains!! You should consider this when looking for a home. There is a lot of ponding of water in peoples yards who live at the bottom of a hill. My advice is to look up!!

Overall we are very happy living there. Let me know if you need any other info...PM if necessary.
There are a fair number of rental homes in the area. I lived in a rental on Locust not far from Apricot. When I left there 12 years ago, Lower Rocky Point Rd had speeding problems back then, too, sad to say. You're going to have to be vigilant in contacting the SCPD and also start filing complaints with the Town of Brookhaven. Through much effort, I was the person who had the stop signs installed on Locust at Daffodil. Locust had a lot of speeders back then as well.

Despite some of these quality of life issues you've indicated, the other things you've written are on target. Everyone was friendly, everything was fairly close by.

One important heads up to the new kid in town:

Next weekend is the HUGE St Patrick's Day Parade in Rocky Point. Local traffic on your street might get a little intense. BUT whatever you do, make sure to attend the parade. It's a great time!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:13 PM

16 posts, read 81,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Hi there...

Thank you for all of the great responses. I drove around the Sound Beach, Rocky Point, Miller place area. The area seems to match what I'm looking for much better than the Setauket/Centereach areas. Alexei, I'm looking at homes that are very close to you. I'm supposed to see the one below this week. What are the beaches like that you can walk to?

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island