Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,903 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you've heard this story before, but I'm looking for a bit more current information than what's on this forum already. Summary is wife and I are looking to leave the city and get some space in Nassau, but still commute to NYC...blah blah blah.

Our budget for a home is 450-550K and needs to be close to LIRR to get into the city. Wife's preference is to stay in the middle of the island, while I'm open to southern LI as long we're not in a flood zone. One of the places we've been looking is Hicksville. Anything further out probably isn't feasible given my office is in the financial district. Anything closer in (Mineola, Carle Place, Floral Park) seems out of budget. I've read that Hicksville has a lot of crime, gangs, and the school district isn't great. Is that still true or are things changing?

Can anyone recommend areas in Nassau that we should consider? Curious how the Nassau housing market is? Realtors are telling us Hicksville is pretty active market as properties are getting snapped up fairly quickly at 95-100% of ask. We do have a co-op we'd need to sell in Queens before purchasing new home. From what I understand, contingency offers are rare in LI? Any other considerations as we begin to search for our new (and final home).

I'm not from eastcoast so any insight and help into understanding the long island/nassau market better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Cellblock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Hicksville is fine, It has become very Indian and has been cleaned up from 10 years ago when it wasn't as nice. The schools aren't considered top tier but there is nothing wrong with it. Look in Bethpage, has solid schools and it's next to Hicksville, it has a train station but you can still go to Hicksville station w/ ease. You 110% can get a house in your price range. Plainview-old bethpage (better schools) Syosset (even better schools) will have some inventory but limited in your price range. Remember the taxes are high here unlike NYC expect to pay 8-12k, You will avoid NYC tax when living here.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM

48 posts, read 61,103 times
Check our Zillow for Mineola. Last I check there were a couple of homes in walking distance to LIRR. One of which is a fully renovated and within your budget. Not mine I swear!! Otherwise let me know if you have any Q's as I commute to city from this station and kid is in PreK.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM

170 posts, read 193,263 times
Try the Merrick-Bellmore-Wantagh LIRR line. 45 min to Penn Station, great schools, safe/family-friendly area, can find house within your budget, and as long as you are above Merrick Rd, you're not in a flood zone. If you are more comfortable with middle of the island/further north, then I'd look at Syosset although that area is more expensive (expect to get a fixer upper at the top of your budget with high taxes) - but Syosset is very safe and top tier schools, has become very Asian as of late.

Our realtor also pushed Hicksville but we've been to that area several times and decided it's not for us. We also looked at Bethpage but read quite a bit about issues they've been having with polluted water, etc and decided against.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 AM

48 posts, read 61,103 times
I generally look to the local patch website to get the happenings around town. I think most of the LI towns have their own

Syosset, NY Patch - Breaking News, Local News, Events, Schools, Weather, Sports and Shopping

Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
We settled in Bellmore in the price range. The wife walks to the Bellmore station, and it's about 45 minutes into Pen.

Schools are great.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Can't get into Carle Place for half a mil?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:41 PM

245 posts, read 319,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker1979 View Post
Try the Merrick-Bellmore-Wantagh LIRR line. 45 min to Penn Station, great schools, safe/family-friendly area, can find house within your budget, and as long as you are above Merrick Rd, you're not in a flood zone. If you are more comfortable with middle of the island/further north, then I'd look at Syosset although that area is more expensive (expect to get a fixer upper at the top of your budget with high taxes) - but Syosset is very safe and top tier schools, has become very Asian as of late.

Our realtor also pushed Hicksville but we've been to that area several times and decided it's not for us. We also looked at Bethpage but read quite a bit about issues they've been having with polluted water, etc and decided against.
I've got to admit that while I have made fun of the Merrick shills on this forum, I suppose it is true that Merrick, Bellmore and Wantagh are the best happy medium for most people looking for good schools, a good commute, and high, but not disturbingly high prices.

The markets in those areas speaks for itself. Homes go quick and some for over ask.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
We had similar budget as you (500-600K) and bought in North Bellmore. I didnt like Hicksville because I felt the housing stock wasnt as desirable (lots of crummy old capes with only Oil heat), and depending on the block- could be close to congestion/noise. You dont want Bethpage/parts of North Wantagh because of the cancer clusters/toxic plume (do a search on this board, lots of threads discussing it). Merrick and Bellmore are solid choices and Merrick is a good 45 min LIRR ride to Penn. $500K will get you a decent 3/4 bed 1.5-2 bathroom home.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 AM

24 posts, read 34,133 times
Lynbrook, East Rockaway, Malverne, Oceanside all have walkable train stations 35-40 mins to Penn. (Avoid southern parts of Oceanside and ER because of flooding.

Lynbrook has it all for that price range: top tier schools, good housing stock, walkable village, 2 train stations (Lynbrook, Westwood) but property taxes are slightly higher than other villages. Lynbrook also borders Rockville Centre which is a bustling hub of activity of restaurants, bars, shops but Rockville Centre homes will be out of your price range (600K-2M).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island