Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM

45 posts, read 175,230 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

My husband may be taking a job in Ronkonkoma so we would be relocating from Cincinnati.

Can you tell me what the best school districts would be in that vicinity? We would prefer to stay in Ronkonkoma or west toward the city. I have a 4 year old daughter who will be starting kindergarten in the fall and we want to base our housing decisions on finding a good school for her.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:42 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
look at homes in Oakdale, just south of Ronkonkoma. The district is Connetquot & its good. Sayville would be a great choice too.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:59 PM

45 posts, read 175,230 times
How is Smithtown?

Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
smithtown is considered desirable, its very large & I believe there are a few school districts in the area. That area is a little too congested for me, but certainly desirable to most.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I'd move to the lovely little village of Sayville.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Depends how much you can afford but smithtown schools are highly rated.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default I'm in Smithtown.

=KellyFG;2990440]smithtown is considered desirable, its very large & I believe there are a few school districts in the area. That area is a little too congested for me, but certainly desirable to most.[/quote]

I think "congested" is a relative comment, knowing Kelly is a little further east in a more rural area. Smithtown (the town itself) has a nice town center and a very strong community feel. I would really recommend any town in the Township of Smithtown (includes Kings Park, Commack, Smithtown, Nesconset, St. James, etc), and recommend Smithtown schools, or even Hauppauge. Both have very good reputations. Smithtown high school has recently split back into two (it was two at an earlier time as well) but there is only the one district. This split just happened last year and they are basically just smaller mirror images of the previously larger high school. Our daughter starts kindergarten next year as well...welcome! Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about the area's towns. As you can probably see from this discussion board long islanders are quite passionate with their opinions . Long Island varies from shore to shore and east to west. Good luck in your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island