Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 04:41 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Wanted to ask a general question.
We bough a house in Carle place not long ago and so far things are going well. Lirr is near and everything is near by, including family members. Most importantly, schools are close by, which is the main reason for the house purchase. Neighbors are great.

We love Catskills, and we go there often. We love the open space, the woods and the privacy it offers. All that we dont have in Carle place.
Few questions.
Is it ok to have a small fire pit in our back yard? Our yard faces sides of two neighbors.
And has anyone ever bought a property in catskills, or moved all together? How often do you actually go up there. Or if you moved, do you miss LI.
Im a bit of an introvert and human contact is not that important to me. Motorsports, boating, RVing, quads, snowmobiles, all the stuff I can not afford to have around here in nassau would be ideal in Catskills.
I grew up in queens and hated the density of population. Li is a bit better but far from what I seek. Eventually I see myself retiring somewhere north. But who knows, I say that now, but all I want is to be near my kids as they grow up and then never leave their side later. Florida retirement is not for us.

Just curious if there are any home owners on both sides and how things get balanced out.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 06:02 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
We had a fire pit in the Town of North Hempstead when lived there and had no problems.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:15 AM

Thank you.
Our back yard is not that big, and both of our neighbors windows are close to it.
I was just wondering if its in bad taste to have a fire pit. I dont want to make my neighbors uncomfortable in any way. Is it considered bad manners? Or is it perfectly normal to do it once in a blue moon?

I just want to enjoy the smell of burning wood, have family around the pit, watch the small flame.

I BBQ about once a week in a summer time and its never been a problem. I doubt anyone will ever say anything about the pit, but I dont want to be out of order.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Thank you.
Our back yard is not that big, and both of our neighbors windows are close to it.
I was just wondering if its in bad taste to have a fire pit. I dont want to make my neighbors uncomfortable in any way. Is it considered bad manners? Or is it perfectly normal to do it once in a blue moon?

I just want to enjoy the smell of burning wood, have family around the pit, watch the small flame.

I BBQ about once a week in a summer time and its never been a problem. I doubt anyone will ever say anything about the pit, but I dont want to be out of order.
It shouldn't be a problem at all. Lots of people have them. I probably have a smaller plot than you do, and the previous owners had a fire pit.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Is it considered bad manners? Or is it perfectly normal to do it once in a blue moon?

you can simply talk to your neighbors. Its nice to know them and be friendly.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I have had to close my windows because of a neighbor's fire pit. It isn't exactly a welcoming scent inside a house. I would talk to your neighbors first.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:13 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
If you want to use it once in a blue moon I would not worry about it - but invite them over and you'll have even less of a problem! Half the people in my neighborhood have them - I can see where it would annoying on the regular in a neighborhood with small plots of land.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks guys and gals.

This would be a once or twice a month thing. I understand burning wood every day or even every weekend would be a problem. Aside from us I never see anyone ever hang out in their back yards. Me, I always wanted to have a back yard, and now that I have one, its not big enough to do all that I wanted to do. But I still want to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: