Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,487,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I explained the savings and if I had kids, which I don't, I could argue that I should be exempt from paying because I don't have kids and therefore "take" nothing from the system. Not only was I an active supporter of public education but missed only a handful of BOE meetings over a span of 15 years. I actually supported almost every budget despite the misgivings I had on some expenditures. And to your point a Charter School is not a religious institution.
With DeVos's past its more than just charter schools.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:56 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
With DeVos's past its more than just charter schools.
Ok Henny Penny.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:26 AM

152 posts, read 177,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
While there are some bad districts Long Island as a whole is known to have very strong public schools.

Should public funds be diverted to religious schools of other religions as well or just Christian?
Yes because they do the schooks and have a lot of them. The cvhristian schools and even cathlic schools are usually better and the children learn the things that the parents want them too and in the public schools they arev not allowed to learn it or even speak about and cannot pray even. Why do the public schools ban it and its wrong because the people are supposed to have freedoms? Its not just in long island it happens other places to but it is probably most bad in long island where people stop people from talking about things. Other religions that are real like jewish even have schools and if they do they should also get money because they also can have freedom. But there can be religions where they teach bad things and even make it dangerous for the children so those probably shouldnt.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:05 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Nothing will be reduced and the extra teachers will become the equivalent of the coal stokers on the LIRR. Class size will remain and the potential for program elimination will loom because of the reduced funds that come into the school......
My former LI school district did reduce the teaching staff when we had a reduction in students. Contractually they had no legs to stand on. In my district, the case size was a between X students and X students per class. When the numbers dropped off so did the number of classes. FWIW that district was Mineola and it was within the past 10 years, most probably the past 8 but I am not exactly sure of that time frame now as I no longer reside on LI.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:53 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,084,307 times
It would actually have little effect on Long Island since so few parents send their children to private schools.

Easily, those with districts with some affluent housing and high private school rate due to mixed bag public schools- such as Amityville and Freeport, would lose quite a bit of public funding.

Neighboring districts may offer enrollment for tuition, but only if they were not responsible for Special Education Mandates (or Special Education students).

Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM

852 posts, read 1,444,549 times
Good school districts don't want kids from bad towns like Roosevelt knocking on their schoolhouse doors with vouchers in hand.
They'll tell the kids to keep their vouchers and go elsewhere. After all, residents of their towns paid a premium to live where they do so that their children wouldn't have to go to school with kids from those bad towns. If good schools were to let these voucher kids from bad towns in, there'd be a downward slide. Sorry, nobody would want that.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,762,302 times
It's an attempt to privatize public education. It's not that complex. Give taxpayer funds back to the taxpayer. The. The taxpayer can buy their own kids education. What could possibly go wrong ........😃

Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,762,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Good school districts don't want kids from bad towns like Roosevelt knocking on their schoolhouse doors with vouchers in hand.
They'll tell the kids to keep their vouchers and go elsewhere. After all, residents of their towns paid a premium to live where they do so that their children wouldn't have to go to school with kids from those bad towns. If good schools were to let these voucher kids from bad towns in, there'd be a downward slide. Sorry, nobody would want that.
You don't get it. Pause for a moment. Imagine if your home owners school portion of taxes was rebated . Now you take that money and spend it on a private for profit school In your area. It would be exclusive still. The rebates going to poor families and Roosevelt and Hempstead and wyandanch would be SPENT on other things..... Those kids would be left out because their parents spent the money on other things like housing and transportation. There is a reason why school is a social program. If all school was private millions of kids would not go to school leading to a decline in literacy and an increase in crime.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:45 AM

13,058 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
You don't get it. Pause for a moment. Imagine if your home owners school portion of taxes was rebated . Now you take that money and spend it on a private for profit school In your area. It would be exclusive still. The rebates going to poor families and Roosevelt and Hempstead and wyandanch would be SPENT on other things..... Those kids would be left out because their parents spent the money on other things like housing and transportation. There is a reason why school is a social program. If all school was private millions of kids would not go to school leading to a decline in literacy and an increase in crime.
They would never get a rebate in a form that could be spent in any other manner than on education for just this reason.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:31 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
What would happen with transportation if there were choices to send kids in a different district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island