Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 15,292 times

Advertisements

I am going into the city for a couple night and want to know if I can leave my car at the Bellmore station for two nights. I'm not talking about the lots that require a resident permit. I'm talking about directly under the tressle. - according to the Parking Map on the LIRR site, that area is "free, unrestricted parking" and does not require a permit. I would be leaving my car there Sunday night and Monday night, picking it back up on Tuesday evening. However, when I called the TOH to confirm/clarify, a very grumpy lady told me that it's only 24 hour parking and that I may or may not get a ticket or get towed at the discretion of the parking cop.
There is no signage in that area that says that it's restricted to 24 hours so I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with that. And before you say it, yes, I realize I can get dropped off by a taxi but I would strongly prefer not to.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM

I'm talking about the blue area on this map- goo.gl/Rva0Xi

It's operated by the LIRR, not the TOH which is why a permit is not required. I'm not concerned about if I need a permit (I know I don't for where I want to park). My concern is the time limit and if I'm going to come back and have my car towed.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 PM

732 posts, read 883,381 times
I wouldn't leave my car at the parking lot overnight for 2 days. I've heard of stories that their cars were broken into overnight when they parked in Merrick station. Someone tried to steal my side mirror and left it hanging during daytime. MTA police does nothing even though they have a station at Merrick.

I'm sure Bellmore is a targeted as well. I would say to park somewhere north of the station close to a home with no restrictions and walk to the station.

Otherwise, take a cab and save yourself the trouble.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
I wouldn't leave my car at the parking lot overnight for 2 days. I've heard of stories that their cars were broken into overnight when they parked in Merrick station. Someone tried to steal my side mirror and left it hanging during daytime. MTA police does nothing even though they have a station at Merrick.

I'm sure Bellmore is a targeted as well. I would say to park somewhere north of the station close to a home with no restrictions and walk to the station.

Otherwise, take a cab and save yourself the trouble.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too concerned about theft or property damage. I've left my car there overnight on a weekend several times. It's the fact that I'd be leaving it overnight Monday and mostly all day Tuesday and I feel like maybe different parking rules apply during weekdays.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:57 PM

732 posts, read 883,381 times
Call the number and ask for the right answer.
516-489-5000 x3046

2 nights should be fine.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:30 AM

430 posts, read 556,989 times
I think it's actually 12 hour parking. There used to be a sign that said so for the same area at the Seaford Station. I also think that the odds of you getting a ticket are slim (but not zero). If it were me, I would just park it there.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:47 PM

300 posts, read 553,179 times
Sorry, I won't suggest it but I have to ask.. What's wrong with the cab stand across the street? I'm just wondering why you don't like it? It's like 10 bucks to anywhere in bellmore and few bucks more if you are from out of town. If you don't like cabs just take an uber? Seems like a way less stressful situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island