Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 PM

40 posts, read 65,305 times

Advertisements

hello all i am looking into doing a full dormer with 3 bedrooms and a bathroom on my levitt cape home, any recommendation on a good company. also whats the average cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:17 PM

67 posts, read 150,668 times
Default Dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear128 View Post
hello all i am looking into doing a full dormer with 3 bedrooms and a bathroom on my levitt cape home, any recommendation on a good company. also whats the average cost.

I sent you a Direct Message.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:26 PM

300 posts, read 552,848 times
Quote:
Many variations not sure if you are building over a garage, cathedral ceilings, specialty windows, building portico, changing first floor windows or siding on first floor, wood floors in new bedrooms?

Anyways, I would figure 155k-200k depending on variables. By the time you add, tile, paint, a/c, plumbing fixtures, carpets, etc.. Might have to update electrical service or exist mechanicals..

I'm assuming you are raising the ridge and doing a second floor addition? Like blowing the entire roof off and building up with new 8' walls? Not just doing a double dormer that looks all boxy with bad roof slope and low ceiling?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Many variations not sure if you are building over a garage, cathedral ceilings, specialty windows, building portico, changing first floor windows or siding on first floor, wood floors in new bedrooms?

Anyways, I would figure 155k-200k depending on variables. By the time you add, tile, paint, a/c, plumbing fixtures, carpets, etc.. Might have to update electrical service or exist mechanicals..

I'm assuming you are raising the ridge and doing a second floor addition? Like blowing the entire roof off and building up with new 8' walls? Not just doing a double dormer that looks all boxy with bad roof slope and low ceiling?
Yes I would like to raise the ridge, I was told there is already a subfloor on my house, so that would make the work a little less. New siding for the balance of the house. Would love the portico but not a need at this point. Am gonna get some estimates, a neighbor told me about a company name levitt styles, he said that they are experts with these types of house. Also I wish I could go over the garage but it could turn into a foundation nightmare. So not over the garage. I was trying to see if anyone out there done this before and what company they used. I see great additions, series, allure , and a few others.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Many of my former neighbors used Shells Only and they seem to be pleased. Sorry no idea of cost, now.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Yes I would like to raise the ridge, I was told there is already a subfloor on my house, so that would make the work a little less. New siding for the balance of the house. Would love the portico but not a need at this point. Am gonna get some estimates, a neighbor told me about a company name levitt styles, he said that they are experts with these types of house. Also I wish I could go over the garage but it could turn into a foundation nightmare. So not over the garage. I was trying to see if anyone out there done this before and what company they used. I see great additions, series, allure , and a few others.

Yes correct, compared to a ranch home, a cape has a floor system. A ranch only has ceiling joist so you need build a new floor first. Having a cape does save money. If you get a good architect, there are ways to build over the garage without making it a nightmare. Best of luck, keep us updated.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Hello all so the first estimate came in, it's over 125000. Not what I expected but any how that's for a 32x25 dormer, 5 attic space , master room cathedral, 5x8 bathroom, paint an flooring(laminate).also roofing an siding the balance of the house. I also got an estimate from a family friend who I thought might give a better price but his price was 138,000, the only difference is I would get all the good stuff (hardwood floor, portico, brick work in the front, high end bathroom, etc. I don't know, it just seem like last year sierra company was offering this stuff for 78,000. Please give me some feed back guys.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Hello all so the first estimate came in, it's over 125000. Not what I expected but any how that's for a 32x25 dormer, 5 attic space , master room cathedral, 5x8 bathroom, paint an flooring(laminate).also roofing an siding the balance of the house. I also got an estimate from a family friend who I thought might give a better price but his price was 138,000, the only difference is I would get all the good stuff (hardwood floor, portico, brick work in the front, high end bathroom, etc. I don't know, it just seem like last year sierra company was offering this stuff for 78,000. Please give me some feed back guys.

Both those bids are very cheap so if your friend is a legit company ask to see some of his work and talk to his previous customers. He may be a good choice. I would say he is giving you a break. What is his company? Make sure he does second floor additions and isn't experimenting on you..

Sierra and those larger companies just do false advertising. No one is doing a full second floor addition for less than 125k. Even 125k is super cheap and I would expect extras and delays.. Did the owner of Sierra come or just a sales person? Just wondering?

A rear dormer with a bathroom on a cape can cost 50k-65k depending on the scope of work so Sierra offering 78k for a whole second floor is a joke..

Are they residing the whole house or just matching the second floor?

One of the things I also like to stress on a project like this is that service matters. There are a lot of people who can produce a cheap product but how is the process? You will be dealing with these people for 7-10 weeks during construction so make sure it is someone you want to work with, not just the cheapest guy. I'm sure you are willing to pay more for good service in other industries so make sure you do it on a large investment like this.

Also, you need to get plans to get an accurate bid because right now everyone is just spitting out prices. Once you get plans I can guarantee the price will increase.. Right now they just want to hook you to get a deal.

Then once they get a deal they will do one of the below things.

1. Blame your house for being messed up so price needs to increase
2. Blame you for adding extra stuff that wasn't in original bid so price needs to increase
3. Blame the architect for over designing so the price needs to increase

Thanks for update!

Last edited by DesignBuild516; 04-21-2017 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks again for your input, the family friend is good, I have seen his work before (dormer), he does it all, he has a good crew, the advantage with him is he will add things for you and not increase the price drastically, also he is very creative, he could really make a house look unique however working with him as you mentioned I have to have an architect draw plans and get the permits, the estimate he gave was based on his experience and also a description that I got from the first company who came out, that company actually sent there architects to talk to me and see my house and gave me the number over 125, 000 with descriptions of what they are going to do. I actually used those descriptions to have the family friend give me an estimate, because he had refused initially to do it without a plan from an architect. The sierra price was from there comerial ad in the papers over a year ago. I don't really want to mention the company who gave the estimate for over 125000. But thanks for the clarification on what to expect. I was just shocked that the family friend price was more than the big name legit company that's all over.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for your input, the family friend is good, I have seen his work before (dormer), he does it all, he has a good crew, the advantage with him is he will add things for you and not increase the price drastically, also he is very creative, he could really make a house look unique however working with him as you mentioned I have to have an architect draw plans and get the permits, the estimate he gave was based on his experience and also a description that I got from the first company who came out, that company actually sent there architects to talk to me and see my house and gave me the number over 125, 000 with descriptions of what they are going to do. I actually used those descriptions to have the family friend give me an estimate, because he had refused initially to do it without a plan from an architect. The sierra price was from there comerial ad in the papers over a year ago. I don't really want to mention the company who gave the estimate for over 125000. But thanks for the clarification on what to expect. I was just shocked that the family friend price was more than the big name legit company that's all over.

Sound's like your family friend is a good fit. Don't be shocked that he is more expensive. Chances are he is running his company legally and doesn't run a bunch of jobs at the same time. This cause's his price to be a bit more expensive. If he has good workmanship and service though he is probably worth pursuing. He probably is giving you price break and is typically higher. If you trust him I would retain an architect he recommends and go from there.

I be interested to hear who gave you the other price. I understand if you don't want to spread over the web but if you want to send me a DM that be cool.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island