Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:02 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,345,282 times

Advertisements

Suffolk County needs to do more than that silly photo op back in March claiming "the police are coming for you" in front of a helicopter and around 100 police officers. I'm glad Cuomo came up with some state troopers but they also need to find a way to get information from the community, no easy task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,229,349 times
While it would be really nice if the police could concentrate solely on gang issues (that's not sarcasm, I really mean it.) they just can't. They've got a ton of other issues to deal with and not enough cops to do it. The only 2 solutions I see are to hire more cops and put the veteran officers in areas where they can focus on gang activity, or pull officers from quiet precincts or specialty units to focus their patrols there. However, with summer just about here, you can't be pulling cops from Marine Bureau, Aviation or Highway, this is their busiest time of year. They need to get officers on the streets who aren't handling calls. All they do is patrol, make stops, document who they speak with, gather intel, etc. When they get tied up with calls regarding some white trash settling disputes with kitchen cutlery, it takes them away from the important issues.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 PM

7,993 posts, read 9,193,741 times
Or you could let ICE come in and do their jobs in conjunction with info from the police departments and let the deportations start.

Hon estly with the Hispanic community being so hostile towards people who are trying to deport some of the gang members and make their towns safer, I have lost sympathy towards the innocents caught up in the gang violence in their towns.

You want sanctuary towns, you need to deal with the consequences.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,229,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Or you could let ICE come in and do their jobs in conjunction with info from the police departments and let the deportations start.

Hon estly with the Hispanic community being so hostile towards people who are trying to deport some of the gang members and make their towns safer, I have lost sympathy towards the innocents caught up in the gang violence in their towns.

You want sanctuary towns, you need to deal with the consequences.
ICE is even more understaffed than the cops are.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:24 PM

20,176 posts, read 20,962,201 times
Just set bear traps baited with drugs and guns. You'll be catching up all the gang members in no time!

Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,315 times
la mara salvatrucha X3. chingue su madres gringos we coming for you.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
While it would be really nice if the police could concentrate solely on gang issues (that's not sarcasm, I really mean it.) they just can't. They've got a ton of other issues to deal with and not enough cops to do it. The only 2 solutions I see are to hire more cops and put the veteran officers in areas where they can focus on gang activity, or pull officers from quiet precincts or specialty units to focus their patrols there. However, with summer just about here, you can't be pulling cops from Marine Bureau, Aviation or Highway, this is their busiest time of year. They need to get officers on the streets who aren't handling calls. All they do is patrol, make stops, document who they speak with, gather intel, etc. When they get tied up with calls regarding some white trash settling disputes with kitchen cutlery, it takes them away from the important issues.
We could easily have twice as many cops as we have on LI for the same money we pay for them now, but then a regular patrol guy wouldn't be taking home 175K with net comp somewhere in the 250K range all in (time off, $0 contributory pension, etc).

As for those people who are poo poing MS13 (usually for political reasons often based on their anti-Trump proclivities), you are either very dishonest or very foolish.

I'm anti-Trump but I believe illegal immigration and the crime it brings is a real issue, not something dreamed up by the KKK.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 AM

414 posts, read 304,630 times
Why is MS13 confined to LI? There are large hispanic communities (esp. Central Americans in Port Chester) in Westchester County, but I don't hear anything about MS13.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwap_bonk View Post
Why is MS13 confined to LI? There are large hispanic communities (esp. Central Americans in Port Chester) in Westchester County, but I don't hear anything about MS13.
It's not confined to Long Island...they have the issue in Boston as well.

Multiple MS-13 members with ties to murders, drug trafficking arrested in Somerville - News - Somerville Journal - Somerville, MA

And the gang started in LA.

Who said it was confined? We just don't want them here. Let LA deal with them.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:16 AM

414 posts, read 304,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's not confined to Long Island...they have the issue in Boston as well.

Multiple MS-13 members with ties to murders, drug trafficking arrested in Somerville - News - Somerville Journal - Somerville, MA

And the gang started in LA.

Who said it was confined? We just don't want them here. Let LA deal with them.
I should have been more specific; in the NYC metro area, I don't hear about MS13 anywhere else than LI. It is very possible I'm missing it, but I figured Port Chester would be a prime location, as it is mostly central americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island