Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,317 times

Advertisements

Hi, my office recently moved to GC so I plan to move closer as well. I found a condo in Hempstead that pretty much sits on the border of GC and Hempstead near Atlantic and Hilton. How is this area in regards to safety? I've already done some research and well aware that the condo is very close to a bad area in Hempstead (Terrace Ave eastwards). Some say I'm right on the boundary where the crime rates shift drastically. Should I be concerned where I am?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 PM

732 posts, read 884,176 times
That area is fine. Just exit out to Hilton Ave and walk north.
Don't walk southeast to Terrace

However, Hempstead resale value of homes is terrible so I would suggest buying a condo/co-op in GC or Mineola.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:32 PM

280 posts, read 286,609 times
Nothing like living in a state of fear! NOT!

Rent an apartment in North Rockville Center....

Do not buy under any circumstances.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:21 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
You'll be OK there. My sister lived short term in what is probably the same building you're in before she moved to Florida. Just keep your eyes open, no valuables left in the car, and as noted, do not buy a house in that area. You'll pay less, but you'll have trouble unloading it later on.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:06 PM

131 posts, read 332,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmover123 View Post
Hi, my office recently moved to GC so I plan to move closer as well. I found a condo in Hempstead that pretty much sits on the border of GC and Hempstead near Atlantic and Hilton. How is this area in regards to safety? I've already done some research and well aware that the condo is very close to a bad area in Hempstead (Terrace Ave eastwards). Some say I'm right on the boundary where the crime rates shift drastically. Should I be concerned where I am?

Thanks.
That area is fine. Buy in GardenCity side though. Resale easier due to excellent school district.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:55 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Hate to sound sexist but..... are you a male or female? As a female, I would not want to live there and would go to the Cherry Valley before there.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 AM

487 posts, read 545,299 times
There are a couple of brand new apartment complexes recently built in Mineola right across from Garden City on Old Country Road, in the downtown area near the courts. One is called the Modera. They are luxury high rise apartments with amenities, i.e., gym, clubhouse, parking facility, etc. If you want to spend time in the City, it is walking distance to the Mineola train station which has a large number of train options.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:08 PM

47 posts, read 45,150 times
If you were renting I'd say "maybe" but owning? Probably not a great idea- whether condo or house! I'm marginally familiar with the area but it turns fast there. I'd say rent, so you have less "skin" in the game. Then, if you are comfortable, buy later. Better then losing your money in a bad investment. I'd recommend Mineola if you want to be close and know it's a good area, though prices there are high from the Hospital and great LIRR line (but your value should stay stable/high). There's Cherry Valley, as another posted suggested, in Garden City. You have to be careful buying into co-ops and condos. Easier to lose money on those as lots of variables beyond neighborhood (health of financials, pickiness of Board, self managed or though a company). So being in a better neighborhood helps reduce a variable. One clue as to the desirability of a complex is to look at recent sales on Zillow or Realtor.com or Redfin and see what asking price was, what they ultimately got and how long it was on the market. If there aren't a lot of sales it could be hard to gauge but seeing negotiated prices close to asking and quick sales (which for a co-op or condo "quick" is 3 to 4 months- they always take longer to close- even 5 months isn't bad) is a good indicator of how good an investment it is. I used to own a great co-op before upgrading to a house. We were in contract, got our lowest acceptable price and on our way fast. actually could have held out for more and had one higher offer but couldn't take it (long story). We made a small profit and didn't renovate a thing- and our bathroom needed it. A friend of mine bought in Great Neck and was on the market well over a year before they finally found a buyer, and they lost money in their sale, and their unit came with a garage and parking space. Could happen anywhere, but just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island