Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:35 PM

113 posts, read 245,093 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. So we finally put our Great Neck house on the market (time for us to go after 7 years) and I'm looking for some advice. We have decided to move out to Suffolk County and have narrowed down our options to Centerport (I have a friend who lives there and loves it) and Dix Hills. I work in the city 3 times a week-I am a partner in my own law firm so don't have to worry about the 9-5 aspect. My husband owns a catering business so he can work from anywhere. However I do have to be in court sometimes and need a train that gets me into Penn in about an hour. From what I have read here that would be Huntington. That, coupled with the great school ratings for both Harborfields and HHH, have led us to these two towns as our main choices. Can anyone give me some input as to which town has a better sense of community for kids? We have 2 middle schoolers who will have to adjust and make new friends. Currently the kids hang out in town in Great Neck to get pizza or ice cream-does either Centerport or Dix Hills have this kind of vibe? Where can the kids ride their bikes to town or to their friends houses? Which schools are better in your opinion? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 PM

5,049 posts, read 3,954,202 times
The two areas are completely dissimilar - I can't imagine the same person being highly interested in both of them. Why not drive around both peninsulas of tiny Centerport and then thru Dix Hills? You'll see what I mean.

It is true that both have highly rated districts.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 PM

What is so dissimilar about them? Haven't driven through centerport yet but have driven by a few homes in Dix Hills. Some areas look really nice. I can't imagine centerport being any worse. What am I missing?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:17 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
If your primary focus is on school districts, Centerport isn't the only location with Harborfields schools - so are parts of Huntington, Greenlawn and a small area of Northport.

For your children, Greenlawn probably has the best opportunities to get pizza, ice cream, etc. It's also has easier access to the LIRR.

Dix Hills doesn't have any kind of "downtown" - totally different vibe.

Northport is primarily in almost totally in another school district (Northport-East Northport) but the Village is great and totally family oriented; however, the commute is a bit more inconvenient.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the input. We went to Northport and thought it was very cute but we could never live there. Not enough going on. Fun for the day but we want a bigger town nearby. I've seen a few homes on the market in greenlawn (the lots seem small) and in Huntington with harborfields schools. Do most kids in Harborfields live in centerport? Is centerport like northport?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLawyerMama View Post
Thanks for the input. We went to Northport and thought it was very cute but we could never live there. Not enough going on. Fun for the day but we want a bigger town nearby. I've seen a few homes on the market in greenlawn (the lots seem small) and in Huntington with harborfields schools. Do most kids in Harborfields live in centerport? Is centerport like northport?
Centerport is not like Northport; it also doesn't have a "downtown". You'd go to either Northport or Huntington when you want entertainment, shopping, etc. From my experience in knowing and talking to people who live there, it's "all about the beach experience".

Centerport residents are in the Harborfields SD. The majority of homes in Greenlawn are also in the Harborfields SD, with fewer homes in the Elwood SD (a smaller district), and very few in the Northport SD.

Huntington has properties in the Harborfields SD as well. Some with small and some with large properties (of course "large" is relative

From the sound of your post, it would appear you're looking for a place like Huntington - which I personally call the "mini apple" There are some homes in the Harborfields SD

Old 06-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Yes we will check it out. I read somewhere that Huntington has some gang activity is this true?

What about Dix Hills? Anyone have any input as to the different areas there? Melville seems like it has newer homes is there a difference between HHH East and West?

Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 AM

5,049 posts, read 3,954,202 times
You may have meant to write 'Harborfields' ' or possibly 'Greenlawn' when you initially inquired about 'Centerport'. Elke's description of Centerport (at 9:41) is on target.

Again, Dix Hills and Harborfields are excellent school districts but don't assume similarities among and between various and respective neighborhoods/villages/areas therein. And don't assume different is 'worse' as you seem to have done at 8:01.

If your primary focus is school district reputation and performance, Huntington may not be your cup of tea.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:27 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLawyerMama View Post
Yes we will check it out. I read somewhere that Huntington has some gang activity is this true?

What about Dix Hills? Anyone have any input as to the different areas there? Melville seems like it has newer homes is there a difference between HHH East and West?
From what I can see Huntington Station seems to have that problem bad now with gang activity & illegals.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
You may have meant to write 'Harborfields' ' or possibly 'Greenlawn' when you initially inquired about 'Centerport'. Elke's description of Centerport (at 9:41) is on target.

Again, Dix Hills and Harborfields are excellent school districts but don't assume similarities among and between various and respective neighborhoods/villages/areas therein. And don't assume different is 'worse' as you seem to have done at 8:01.

If your primary focus is school district reputation and performance, Huntington may not be your cup of tea.
No I meant Centerport. As I said I have a friend from college who lives there. She loves it but I was trying to get some opinions from people who live there. We love that beachy feel and my older son is an avid sailing enthusiast. So I have done my research. Greenlawn has small lots. We want close to an acre. I know there are a few places in Centerport that have this. Seems like people on this thread are steering me away from Centerport? Is there a reason for this?

My primary focus has and always will be school. That is very important to our family. We are coming from Great Neck a very highly rated district. I specifically said in my post Harborfields or HHH.

I'm curious what you mean by don't assume different is worse? When did I say anything like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island