Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,339,548 times

Advertisements

I want to expand my very small master bath on the second floor, my idea is if possible to cantilever the room. The house has 2x8 joists, I assume if it is even allowed I can bump out 24-29 inches w/o having to use posts. If that is not an option I will then go out 5 ft and post it. I know it is almost impossible to get price w/o seeing it. I was wondering a ballpark figure for these options. 2-2.5ft x 6 cantilever or 5x6 posted. This is clearly a very small addition I am only interested in having a contractor frame out the addition and do the exterior work and put down the sub floor there is 1 window involved. I will do all the interior work myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,556,019 times
2x8 are small by today standards. Standard rule for cantilevering is that for every foot cantilevered, the joist is 2 feet secured in the house.

Also may look odd on the outside.

Speak to an architect.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,339,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
2x8 are small by today standards. Standard rule for cantilevering is that for every foot cantilevered, the joist is 2 feet secured in the house.

Also may look odd on the outside.

Speak to an architect.
Thanks for that info. Probably makes more sense to just post it. I prefer not to tear out the bathroom floor to the joists. It will look a little odd but I would build out the rest of it to the same depth as my kitchen and side it like the rest of the house. The unfinished lower level would then be used as outdoor storage. I would essentially have a shed that looked like it was part of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: