Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:00 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

One time my neighbor left her house at 6AM.
Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:17 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
One time my neighbor left her house at 6AM.
Unbelievable.
I bet she had the audacity to start her car up, too. People have no manners anymore.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
It's trashy as hell and can affect other property values across the neighborhood.

Its sort of amazing that many posters here are oblivious to that. No clue.

There should be neighborhoods for those that want cars in the backyard, chain link fencing, all trees chopped down, pitbulls chained to a stake, above-ground pools in the front yard, weathered faded plastic flowers stuck in the porch etc., car oil in plastic containers on the grass verge, better still concrete over the grass verge too. Better for them to congregate together.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Well at least it wasn't a plane!

Sounds like he is running a car repair or car sales business from his back yard, I believe there is a building code for using property as a business.

Quote:
OCEANSIDE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Not even the Wright brothers parked their airplane in front of their house in Ohio.
But as CBS2’s Steve Langford reported, that’s exactly what Harold Guretzky has done at his home in Oceanside, and some of his neighbors are not pleased about it.
A bird’s eye view of Oceanside reveals the bird that looks lost – parked in a driveway as if it were a car.
“Why they’re picking on me I don’t understand,” Guretzky said.
As 1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria reported, Guretzky doesn’t want to pay the $150 storage fee for the plane at Republic Airport. He says he can no longer afford the monthly fee, and so he has decided to park the plane in his driveway.

“I had inspectors show up. They wrote me summonses,” Guretzky said.

Residents Complain After Neighbor Parks Plane In Oceanside Driveway « CBS New York

Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its sort of amazing that many posters here are oblivious to that. No clue.

There should be neighborhoods for those that want cars in the backyard, chain link fencing, all trees chopped down, pitbulls chained to a stake, above-ground pools in the front yard, weathered faded plastic flowers stuck in the porch etc., car oil in plastic containers on the grass verge, better still concrete over the grass verge too. Better for them to congregate together.
Ya, but this is about the BACK yard. If you can't see it or smell it, and the only really you know about it is because you're peeking your nosy head over the fence that's your problem.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
Ya, but this is about the BACK yard. If you can't see it or smell it, and the only really you know about it is because you're peeking your nosy head over the fence that's your problem.
What if there's no fence separating said backyard? It's as much of an eyesore as being in the FRONT yard.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Is had a good laugh at your post . Same thing happened to me when I was house hunting except there was a barefoot kid with a bat pounding it into his hand and staring in our direction. We got back in the car QUICK. But ....... Cars in the backyard don't bother me . It's your yard. Do what you want with it as long as I don't have to pay for it.
Here's the thing. If they are running some kind of shady business, you don't want those types of people coming around, do you? You never know when things can escalate. This is one reason why people put a stop to things before they start - and a valid one especially if this is an illegal business in a suburban neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
What if there's no fence separating said backyard? It's as much of an eyesore as being in the FRONT yard.
One or two (hell, maybe three) maintained, clean, reg'd and insured not-really-visible cars? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Here's the thing. If they are running some kind of shady business, you don't want those types of people coming around, do you? You never know when things can escalate. This is one reason why people put a stop to things before they start - and a valid one especially if this is an illegal business in a suburban neighborhood.
Shady business? How did we get to that? This is probably a mechanic doing side work so he can afford to live in the supposedly nice neighborhood OP is complaining about. The pyramid schemes of body lotions and skin care products peddled by suburban stay at home moms on Facebook is shadier.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
One or two (hell, maybe three) maintained, clean, reg'd and insured not-really-visible cars? Who cares..
Because cars don't belong on lawns. They drive on roads. That's what they're for. Or you know, like a driveway. If you don't have a place to park 3 cars, maybe you shouldn't have 3 cars. Where does it stop? By your logic, there could be a dozen cars back there. And how do the cars get back there? They have to drive back and forth over the FRONT lawn, which then becomes an eye sore.

Clean/maintained/registered or not, there are county laws that prohibit that. At least in the Town of Islip there are.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
There are a few people in my neighborhood that have non running cars in their backyards. And NONE of them are mechanics. They are all a bunch of lazy hoarders. Their houses are all rundown and decrepit. You can see the cars from the street and it looks like a junk yard. How is this acceptable to anyone who values their home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island