Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times

Advertisements

As somebody from Western Suffolk, I can speak on the clerical scene. I find that there's a good amount of clerical-type office openings in the Melville-Hauppauge area but most only tend to only pay around $13-$19 an hour (ex: Customer Service, Accounts Payable/Receivable, Billing, Receptionist, Payroll Clerk). Some of these are temporary jobs with no benefits. I remember reading a study that showed that salaries are NO HIGHER on Long Island than they are in the rest of the nation; despite a much higher cost of living. This is not sustainable in an area where homes average $450k, taxes are $12k and the LIRR system to access the better-payings jobs is broken.

A lot of people afford to live here by either working 2 jobs, living with their parents until their 30's or enduring the loooong, expensive and unreliable LIRR commute to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
As somebody from Western Suffolk, I can speak on the clerical scene. I find that there's a good amount of clerical-type office openings in the Melville-Hauppauge area but most only tend to only pay around $13-$19 an hour (ex: Customer Service, Accounts Payable/Receivable, Billing, Receptionist, Payroll Clerk). Some of these are temporary jobs with no benefits. I remember reading a study that showed that salaries are NO HIGHER on Long Island than they are in the rest of the nation; despite a much higher cost of living. This is not sustainable in an area where homes average $450k, taxes are $12k and the LIRR system to access the better-payings jobs is broken.

A lot of people afford to live here by either working 2 jobs, living with their parents until their 30's or enduring the loooong, expensive and unreliable LIRR commute to the city.
This is the reality of why people leave, and I'm wondering what attracted the OP to Suffolk County. I would recommend a public sector job if I knew how people get a spot at the gravy train. LI has the highest paid cops, teachers, political hacks, etc. in the country and everyone sacrifices to keep them well paid and richly retired.

Lots of rich people flock to the Hamptons in summer. Maybe consider a niche job catering to them or something to do with tourism.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM

718 posts, read 620,358 times
Just look at all the people shopping in places like Costco. With all the crap they buy it hardly appears that long Islanders have menial jobs.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:18 AM

345 posts, read 338,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Lots of rich people flock to the Hamptons in summer. Maybe consider a niche job catering to them or something to do with tourism.
Making money out there is easy mode. Start a business, do the work. You don't even have to be good at it, lots of companies do **** work but still get paid... at least in my experience working out there.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
My fiancé works in Suffolk... makes over $100k

only 'menial' jobs though

Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
How do people with all of these "low level" jobs afford to live on Long Island? That is proof that people can live on Long Island for less than what most posters on this board say, even if it would not be a quality of life acceptable to most. Or am I missing something?
Dual incomes. Wife gotta get out of the kitchen.
No kids til 33-35.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 PM

186 posts, read 217,786 times
I work with people who have developmental disabilities. I am a certified medical assistant. The field does not pay much and the market is saturated. I would love to start my own business doing something but not sure whats in demand here on long island.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

So very true. The pay is average on long island while everything else is expensive. I been thinking maybe it would just be better to relocate to another state like either NC or Florida. At least there are decent jobs in those areas.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 PM

I would love to start a business but just not sure whats in demand on long island. I thought about maybe reselling on amazon fba. They have a lot of buyers on that site. Gotta find products to sell though.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Check the careers section of large company's websites that you think you have a chance of getting hired by. Or any company for that matter.
Thanks zen I will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island