Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 AM

26 posts, read 55,265 times

Advertisements

We are looking to do an oil to gas heat conversion. We have a gas in the house for cooking. Every quote I've been getting is between $8-10K. Anybody know of anyone who will do it for less? We would like to remove our boiler and water tank and replace with a combination navien unit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:52 AM

75 posts, read 110,524 times
I can't recall the company I used off the top of my head but you should be able to get a better price (~6500) for heating conversion (just replacing boiler/water heater). Mine was around $7500 (post rebate) which included running gas to kitchen, and replacing radiators. It's pretty straightforward work.

Look into burnham combi units as Nat Grid offers good rebates. I would recommend a traditional (separate boiler/water heater) set up if you have a larger family with more than 1 bathroom. Combi units are also known to be less reliable than traditional boilers and hot water heaters. Of course, the space and gas savings are definite pluses.

You can also go power vented so you have more options on boiler location (doesn't need to vent thru chimney). Nat grid rebate up to ~$1000 for the burnham units. I went down that route.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Give Holzhauer Plumbing a call for a quote - they were great for us price-wise. But I don't think they're going to suggest you use the Navien.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahr85 View Post
We are looking to do an oil to gas heat conversion. We have a gas in the house for cooking. Every quote I've been getting is between $8-10K. Anybody know of anyone who will do it for less? We would like to remove our boiler and water tank and replace with a combination navien unit.

Thanks!
Those quotes are about right. When I did my conversion the estimates I got were about $9-10K. For a new boiler, burial of in-ground oil tank and labor. If a reputable company quoted you $8K for a new boiler and water tank then that's a great deal. You could probably get it done cheaper if you got an independence or unlicensed plumber but I wanted it done by a reputable company and all the permits were obtained.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hl126 View Post
I can't recall the company I used off the top of my head but you should be able to get a better price (~6500) for heating conversion (just replacing boiler/water heater). Mine was around $7500 (post rebate) which included running gas to kitchen, and replacing radiators. It's pretty straightforward work.

Look into burnham combi units as Nat Grid offers good rebates. I would recommend a traditional (separate boiler/water heater) set up if you have a larger family with more than 1 bathroom. Combi units are also known to be less reliable than traditional boilers and hot water heaters. Of course, the space and gas savings are definite pluses.

You can also go power vented so you have more options on boiler location (doesn't need to vent thru chimney). Nat grid rebate up to ~$1000 for the burnham units. I went down that route.
Any chance you could check your records to see who might have done the conversion for you?! $6.5K is way more in line with what we were hoping to spend. How long ago did you do your conversion?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Give Holzhauer Plumbing a call for a quote - they were great for us price-wise. But I don't think they're going to suggest you use the Navien.
they have some pretty negative reviews recently

https://www.yelp.com/biz/holzhauer-p...ating-bellmore

Old 08-02-2017, 12:03 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,391 times
I'm not going to comment on the work Holzhauer's does, but when I was looking for an estimate I called them up 3 times looking for an estimate and left two voice messages. They never called me back. They were either too busy or didn't want my business.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,755 times
Navien will only honor their warranty if installed by a certified technician. That's why a lot of plumbers and hvac techs will push you to a "better" brand.

Under 10k from a navien authorized dealer is unheard of.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,755 times
I've called Holxhauers for quote before. Their price is average. Same as everyone else. But they certainly sounded like were experienced guys.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahr85 View Post
they have some pretty negative reviews recently

https://www.yelp.com/biz/holzhauer-p...ating-bellmore
Regarding the review about the son and group of guys doing the work - that was the situation for us... I didn't hear what they were talking about while secluded in our basement, but they were courteous and I treated them to a nice pizza lunch too. They showed and communicated pride in their piping re-work and the place was completely spotless after they were done and they explained everything. You won't see positive reviews posted too often and you'll definitely hear about the bad ones, so remember that when reading reviews. From what I understand, they do a good volume of work and that's how they make their money. If you're looking for personal attention, I'm not sure they can guarantee that in every case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: