Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,710 times

Advertisements

Hi my wife and I are looking to buy our first home in L.I. Were looking at areas like Babylon West Babylon Bay Shore and Deer Park because the homes in this area seem fairly priced.Now I dont know much about L.I. But from doing some research I've found out that these areas have good n bad parts can I please get some input on which areas are good and which areas to avoid, any additional info on school districts and flooding would also be grately appreciated. Thank you for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 AM

179 posts, read 304,146 times
I grew up in that general area so I can help!

Anything south of montauk highway got hit hard during Sandy, so try to avoid that area in general (it really depends on how far south you go...some areas were unscathed). Having come from Bay Shore schools, if you're looking for diversity, you'll get it easily, but if you're not looking for diversity, people were generally segregated enough without much influence. I think the only reason the school district doesn't look good on paper is because it is very close to Brentwood and has all those kids to bring it down (bleeding hearts, buzz off!), but at face value, there is nothing bad about the school district. There are a few known bad areas, but it's offset by plenty of nice areas and some really ritzy areas.

Babylon /West Babylon are fine...the village is top tier but you don't have to live in walking distance to enjoy it. Taxes are higher, but overall not bad for LI in general.

Deer Park I can't recommend as much. Deer Park Avenue is absolutely dreadful to drive through and that's really the only way I know of to get to anywhere in deer park. Decent area, but its main road was a deal breaker for me...

Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM

Thank you how about west babylon north of sunrise highway that area borders with Wyandanch which I hear is not so grwat is that area still ok or should I avoid that

Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moejski View Post
Thank you how about west babylon north of sunrise highway that area borders with Wyandanch which I hear is not so grwat is that area still ok or should I avoid that
I'd avoid anything that borders Crimedanch. They nicknamed it that for a reason.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM

18 posts, read 27,504 times
Bay Shore is a tale of two cities. Main Street and everything south of it is BEAUTIFUL (same for neighboring Brightwaters). Downtown has been renovated and filled with lots of life. This is probably one of the preppiest parts of LI that I've seen... lots of boat shoes, colorful shorts and polo's. As for the rest of Bay Shore, it ranges from straight-up icky to just okayish. Most parts between Union and Sunrise are on the rougher side. Union Blvd and anything close to the train tracks has a lot of drug addicts and people in unfortunate situations. North Bay Shore (north of the southern state) is not so nice and is practically an extension of Brentwood. West Bay Shore is good. It gets very nice as you get close to Montauk/Main Street but very meh as you get closer to Sunrise.

Babylon Village is good. I still don't think it should be as hyped up as I've seen it on this forum but its still a nice area. The downtown is very nice and of course near the water.

West Babylon is okay. If you can wing it then look for the parts that fall into Babylon Schools, this is a very nice area. It gets nice near the water too. WB north of Sunrise is actually the nicest part of WB and doesn't border Wyandanch; I don't think that it should be avoided. WB also extends a bit north of the Southern State Pkwy (this part borders Wyandanch); some parts up there are very nice but some parts closer to Straight Path are kinda beat down.

North Babylon is okay. Quiet and nicely kept. Not much to say about here. Practically the same as Deer Park.

Deer Park is okay too. If you can wing it, the parts in the HHH district are nice but also more expensive. DPA is very congested, especially near the mall. Deer Park near Bay Shore Road is a little beat down but nothing horrible.

The school systems in Deer Park, NB, WB and Bay Shore are okay with Babylon SD being the best. North Bay Shore falls under Brentwood Schools which are terrible.

Last edited by Ms.Schein; 08-17-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM

Thank you for your input

Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moejski View Post
Hi my wife and I are looking to buy our first home in L.I. Were looking at areas like Babylon West Babylon Bay Shore and Deer Park because the homes in this area seem fairly priced.Now I dont know much about L.I. But from doing some research I've found out that these areas have good n bad parts can I please get some input on which areas are good and which areas to avoid, any additional info on school districts and flooding would also be grately appreciated. Thank you for your help!!
I'd look in Babylon. West Bab (depending upon school districts) and Babylon Village.

Lake Grove and Smithtown have some affordable options, as does Setauket and S.Setauket - in 3vVillage District/

Deer Park and Bay Shore are not great places.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Schein View Post
Bay Shore is a tale of two cities. Main Street and everything south of it is BEAUTIFUL (same for neighboring Brightwaters). Downtown has been renovated and filled with lots of life. This is probably one of the preppiest parts of LI that I've seen... lots of boat shoes, colorful shorts and polo's. As for the rest of Bay Shore, it ranges from straight-up icky to just okayish. Most parts between Union and Sunrise are on the rougher side. Union Blvd and anything close to the train tracks has a lot of drug addicts and people in unfortunate situations. North Bay Shore (north of the southern state) is not so nice and is practically an extension of Brentwood. West Bay Shore is good. It gets very nice as you get close to Montauk/Main Street but very meh as you get closer to Sunrise.
The school system in Bay Shore is great though. They offer every kind of SpEd program, intensive ELL services, AP and IB courses, and they have a strong athletic program. My favorite neighborhoods are Brightwaters and the area around Lanier Lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island