Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM

270 posts, read 964,598 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are exploring towns we hadn't even thought of looking for houses in previously, and we really don't know anything about them.

How are N Babylon and W Babylon?

Also how is Deer Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
All are nice, middle class towns. The only areas of them I would steer clear of would be the areas that border on Wyandanch/Wheatley Heights. Other than that, they're nice with good schools.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I would rate them in the following order...1) Deer Park 2) West Babylon & then 3)North Babylon. As said in the other post - nice, middle class towns. Most have small properties though.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:32 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
North Babylon has some very scenic and tucked away neighborhoods around the Phelps Lane area, and many abut state parkland and greenbelt area associated with Belmont State Park. The schools and town community center by Elda Lake with sports facilities (tennis courts, etc.) are all right there.

Check out Denise Drive, a very picturesque and private neighborhood...no through traffic, plenty of parkland....and the neighborhoods around Hughes Lane on both sides of Miller Avenue (Phelps turns into Miller)...

I think this area provides great value for the money compared with some of the more sought after south shore towns ans villages.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:28 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I think this area provides great value for the money compared with some of the more sought after south shore towns ans villages.
Absolutely. If I had the money to purchase a home, I would definitely buy in one of these areas.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:54 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Here is my opinion, I live in the area, and I'm not a realtor. Here is an honest description of Deer Park, West Babylon and North Babylon.

All three areas are very similar. Basically, working class/middle class neighborhoods. Most of the people are of either Italian and/or Irish ancestry with a fair amount of Germans as well. Lots of young families are here with plenty of kids and more are moving in. The older generation is selling and moving to Florida. For young families, all three area are very affordable. Also, the people are all very down to earth in all three areas.

The nicest neighborhoods, In my opinion, are in North Babylon. The Denise Drive area is probably the best. It is awesome to say the least and most people don't even know its there, which is part of the attraction. There are huge colonials in there at fair prices. Other choices include the Townhouse development nearby as well, which is gated, but quite expensive. The second area to be recommended is the Sunset City Area. Lots of nice splits in a well maintained neighborhood. There is also a Sunset City Civic Association. Other areas to consider are the Poet Section and what I call the Spangle Drive area. Spangle Drive is in that Phelps Lane Park area. BTW - Phelps Lane Park has a fantastic new pool. Steve Bellone has done a lot for the Town.

Deer Park and West Babylon are alright, but the neighborhoods aren't as nice as some of the areas in NB. In DP and WB everything is on grid streets with no character. The grid system encourages people to drive too fast in those areas. If you have kids you might want to be in an area with curved streets.

As far as schools. They are all similar in my opinion. NB and DP are virtually the same statistically. WB, as far as statistics go, might be a little better, but a big part of West Babylon goes to NB schools. So the differences between NB, DP and WB schools are marginal in terms of scores, graduation rates and spending. My experience has been with NB schools, but I have relatives in the DP school district. Dp schools do things funny on the elementary level. The kids go to one school for k-2 and then another for 3-5.

As far as NB schools, I have found the teachers to be fantastic. In fact, quite a few of
NBs teachers live in the area as well, which is a positive sign. They wouldn't put there kids in a school that they thought wasn't good.

Conclusion. Given that the schools are similar you might want to look at neighborhoods as a determining factor. However, there are home bargains throughout three areas. I personally think North Babylon is undervalued, but that is my opinion. So good luck.

If you have an other questions about the area just send a direct message to me.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 AM

172 posts, read 410,219 times
I live in West Babylon and have lived previously in North Babylon. I would say that West babylon in West Babylon school district is your best bet. Both North Babylon and Deer Park have questionable areas that are included in their school districts. I would rate Deer Park the worst. They are building a big outlet mall in DP and the traffic will be terrible. Commack Road is busy enough now, wait until this huge mall opens. I feel like Deer Park is the most run down.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
My fiance has lived in that area his whole life and says North Babylon is a ghetto compared to West Babylon he says West babylon probably has the lowest crime rate out of the whole area, besides Babylon village.

Also, as far as teachers living and teaching in North Babylon...A lot of school districts only hire teachers if they live in that town. I teach and I hear about those things.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance has lived in that area his whole life and says North Babylon is a ghetto compared to West Babylon he says West babylon probably has the lowest crime rate out of the whole area, besides Babylon village.

Also, as far as teachers living and teaching in North Babylon...A lot of school districts only hire teachers if they live in that town. I teach and I hear about those things.
For better or worse the 60's had a lasting impact on New York State....White Lake is nostalgically immortalized for the three days of peace and love, and Joe Cocker's wind him up and watch him go version of "A Little Help From Me Friends"...I understand there was some trouble in N.B. schools then that people remember for a whole different reason.

Many people would consider Lindenhurst schools better than Bay Shore...and Lindenhurst in an incoroporated village....but Bay Shore has high end real estate that Lindenhurst does not come anywhere near...Larwrence Lane, Ockonee, Awixa....

Just look at South Montgomery Ave....right across the street is Southside Hospital and a neighborhood heavy with multi family rental houses that is a lot less valuable.

West Babylon does have waterfront areas....but barring these areas N.B. is a pared down version of the above example, it has non-waterfront neighborhoods that W.B. has nothing it can rival with, and there seems to be more custom built homes in N.B.....W.B. school just got a facelift complete with an electronic "Times Square" Type marquee in front....

W.B. compared with N.B. academically....? Probably no huge difference

Everything would even out in the wash more if people would carry more of the peace and love spirit from White Lake of course...would simplify things to a further extent....

Old 08-03-2008, 12:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I was basing it on what my fiance's family says. They seem to put down NB a lot with all the negative things they read in the newspaper, see driving through the area, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island