Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

No deal has been reached on DACA, just a lot of posturing on both sides. Save your gloating until something actually happens because as of right now DACA was created and then rescinded by executive order. Congress will have to act to preserve it, with whatever deal making that entails.

I'd happily let them stay in exchange for meaningful changes to our immigration system, and be disappointed if we don't at least get that. But no other candidate would have done better on this issue. Jeb!, Hillary, the lot of them - all open borders enthusiasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 07:36 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
No deal has been reached on DACA, just a lot of posturing on both sides. Save your gloating until something actually happens because as of right now DACA was created and then rescinded by executive order. Congress will have to act to preserve it, with whatever deal making that entails.

I'd happily let them stay in exchange for meaningful changes to our immigration system, and be disappointed if we don't at least get that. But no other candidate would have done better on this issue. Jeb!, Hillary, the lot of them - all open borders enthusiasts.
Exactly, there is no deal yet, that was all posturing by schumer and pelosi. Trump is already walking things back.

I agree with above I have no problem granting conditional perminant residency to DACA (no citizenship), in exchange for meaningful reform, E verify etc.

Even Paul Ryan came out and said they are no where near a deal and it will take a compromise including measures that would insure we don't end up in the same situation 10 years from now.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Does that sobriquet come before or after 'racist' 'white supremacist' 'rapist' 'kitty grabber' etc., etc.?
Spare me. I never said any of that. I don't play identity politics.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
...just a lot of posturing on both sides...
oh the gloating... we traded 1 polarizing POTUS for the next polarizing POTUS, we traded 1 lying egomaniac POTUS for the next lying egomaniac POTUS, we traded 1 hollow slogan (Hope/Nothing will Change) for the next hollow slogan (Make America Gag Again), we traded 1 do nothing Congress for the next do nothing Congress... all the special interests and Wall St are still firmly in control... do I need to go on?

We (the voters) are the real fools - because we fall for all the posturing time and time again. Flip Flop - Flop Flip - nothing happens.

Social media has doomed us.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:49 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
oh the gloating... we traded 1 polarizing POTUS for the next polarizing POTUS, we traded 1 lying egomaniac POTUS for the next lying egomaniac POTUS, we traded 1 hollow slogan (Hope/Nothing will Change) for the next hollow slogan (Make America Gag Again), we traded 1 do nothing Congress for the next do nothing Congress... all the special interests and Wall St are still firmly in control... do I need to go on?

We (the voters) are the real fools - because we fall for all the posturing time and time again. Flip Flop - Flop Flip - nothing happens.

Social media has doomed us.
Can't disagree with a whole lot here.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:46 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Conservatives starting to feel a little uneasy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....-daca.amp.html

Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times
The problem is the public school system doesn't charge them for the extra services they require - you don't speak English but you want to attend an English speaking school for free?

Hire yourself a tutor.

Or take our Spanish classes - here's the bill. You can't afford it? Here's a mop and a broom or a hair net - you can work it off. Catholic schools do it all the time - pay extra money for things or the parents do volunteer work - need extra supervision for these kids? Its called class mother. Can't afford to send your kids on a school trip? Its called having a bake sale. Pay up - work it off - or opt out.

Why should our kids suffer with less of everything and bigger classes and no more fun continuing adult classes offered nights and weekends for their tax paying parents because we're paying to accommodate extra services our kids don't need. Or want? Mine learned French, Italian, German - didn't have an interest in Spanish and neither do the grandkids. We're Italian, German & French heritage - why is Spanish being forced on us?

Go back to your own country, or stay here -I don't care. But identify yourself - stop expecting a free ride and special treatment and start contributing to the American economy.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
/\/\

They pay taxes, which is the purpose of DACA that is to give them authorization to work. They are not eligible for medicare when they retire. Its not a free ride they are getting.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:10 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
The problem is the public school system doesn't charge them for the extra services they require - you don't speak English but you want to attend an English speaking school for free?

Hire yourself a tutor.

Or take our Spanish classes - here's the bill. You can't afford it? Here's a mop and a broom or a hair net - you can work it off. Catholic schools do it all the time - pay extra money for things or the parents do volunteer work - need extra supervision for these kids? Its called class mother. Can't afford to send your kids on a school trip? Its called having a bake sale. Pay up - work it off - or opt out.

Why should our kids suffer with less of everything and bigger classes and no more fun continuing adult classes offered nights and weekends for their tax paying parents because we're paying to accommodate extra services our kids don't need. Or want? Mine learned French, Italian, German - didn't have an interest in Spanish and neither do the grandkids. We're Italian, German & French heritage - why is Spanish being forced on us?

Go back to your own country, or stay here -I don't care. But identify yourself - stop expecting a free ride and special treatment and start contributing to the American economy.
All those words just to let us all know you have an issue with Spanish speaking folks. Could have saved us some time.

You may not be aware that others get "extra services" they don't pay for either... you against all free extra services or just the ones for Spanish speaking? All Special Ed MUST GO!

As for the last sentence - you clearly do care and worse have little to no grasp on what DACA really is... but hey, we all know Italians, Germans, and French are superior to Mexicans - amirite?!

Old 09-17-2017, 12:47 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Conservatives starting to feel a little uneasy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....-daca.amp.html
Conservatives are losers. They're so used to losing that they cry and moan at the slightest sign of not getting everything they want when they want it. They don't know how to win. Trump will show them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: