Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 02:24 PM

78 posts, read 108,959 times

Advertisements

I'm having a quarter-life crisis and I really need help. I honestly have no idea what I want to do for a career and I think its time for a professional's opinion. I know that there are therapists who claim to offer this, but I don't know if they are knowledgeable in things like the economy, job market, different fields of work, etc...

I also don't know anyone else personally with this issue so I don't have any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 07:10 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
I'm having a quarter-life crisis and I really need help. I honestly have no idea what I want to do for a career and I think its time for a professional's opinion. I know that there are therapists who claim to offer this, but I don't know if they are knowledgeable in things like the economy, job market, different fields of work, etc...

I also don't know anyone else personally with this issue so I don't have any recommendations.
I guess the first place to go is where your area of expertise is. Are you a college grad? If so what field of study. IF not what do you like to do? Once we know those things we might better be able to post you in the right direction. Also age?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:24 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Also, if you’re a college grad, and a member of your alumni association, career counseling is usually available, either free or at a fixed rate.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 PM

78 posts, read 108,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I guess the first place to go is where your area of expertise is. Are you a college grad? If so what field of study. IF not what do you like to do? Once we know those things we might better be able to post you in the right direction. Also age?
I'm 28. My bachelor's degree was in biomedical science. I did really well, but I freaked out and didn't want to go to med school. I had a brief marketing job after college, but left because I started having intense anxiety and depression. The years just flew by and I bounced around trying to figure out what to do. I know its bad, but I'm trying to pick myself up again.

I don't know if I even want to go back to the science/health field. I've lost most of the knowledge and skills from college. I'm not sure if I was even interested in the material and by the time my senior year ended, I was burnt out. If I lived close to my college I would ask if they could help me, but I'm too far away.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:17 AM

20,063 posts, read 20,877,739 times
You need a work from home job.
Career counselors are a scam.
Make up your own mind.
What can you do and what would you like to do.
Then start looking for work.
It's very simple.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 PM

983 posts, read 726,156 times
I'd suggest to deal with the anxiety and depression first.
One way to do this is by consulting with a psychiatrist.

Otherwise no matter what counselor you go to, it'll be really hard to start with anything.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:59 PM

20,063 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I'd suggest to deal with the anxiety and depression first.
One way to do this is by consulting with a psychiatrist.

Otherwise no matter what counselor you go to, it'll be really hard to start with anything.
That's all a scam.
Just smoke a lot of weed.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
If I lived close to my college I would ask if they could help me, but I'm too far away.
Poor excuse. Any decent college has something called a telephone, right? Call up the career services department (or whatever it is called) and speak with someone.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:12 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Maybe the OP should post in the metal health forum of CD to deal with the depression and anxiety part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island