Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:48 PM

418 posts, read 367,591 times

Advertisements

In my experience, Realtors don't usually know the answers to questions I'd need answered before buying a house. Like:

Can we put an IG pool in?
How much will IG pool raise our taxes?
Can we knock out a wall / build dormers, etc?
Can we plant or remove trees from property?
Can we build a garage / second garage?

Since Realtors don't know, who can we ask? Call the town? Will the town take the time to speak with us when we're not owners yet? Do people just blindly buy houses without knowing this stuff for sure? (We get a lot of "I'm 90% sure you'll be able to....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 06:01 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Lawyer.
Address of property and a visit to the town hall.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:45 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
And many of those questions will depend on square footage, setback and other code requirements. So unless you have the actual plans, or if something was already approved, I doubt any realtor will know anything for sure.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
This is a complex area of law. You left out the limits set by an HOA.
When I have looked at prospective houses I have often asked about that and the realtor implies they can get a copy of the HOA rules. None have ever showed up before closing. Sometimes I've found them online.
In PA and NC I have done a lot of work on the interior on my own with no permits. NJ is probably more restrictive.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:57 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
In my experience, Realtors don't usually know the answers to questions I'd need answered before buying a house. Like:

Since Realtors don't know, who can we ask? Call the town? Will the town take the time to speak with us when we're not owners yet? Do people just blindly buy houses without knowing this stuff for sure? (We get a lot of "I'm 90% sure you'll be able to....)
You are not buying yet so why are you so worried? Nevertheless I will answer.

Can we put an IG pool in? Depends upon the codes for the area you build in

How much will IG pool raise our taxes? Depends upon the size of the pool

Depends if the wall is weight bearing or not, Dormers generally with proper permits.

Depends on where the property is located and the codes for the particular town.

Can we build a garage / second garage? Depends upon codes and property size.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 PM

42 posts, read 70,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You are not buying yet so why are you so worried? Nevertheless I will answer.

Can we put an IG pool in? Depends upon the codes for the area you build in

How much will IG pool raise our taxes? Depends upon the size of the pool

Depends if the wall is weight bearing or not, Dormers generally with proper permits.

Depends on where the property is located and the codes for the particular town.

Can we build a garage / second garage? Depends upon codes and property size.
This doesnt help OP in the slightest. He wants to know how can he get definite answers to his questions before purchasing a home since I would assume his purchase would be contingent on these things being OK'd to be done.

Have an architect on stand-by and double check their findings with your real estate attorney.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:16 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimehomebuyer23 View Post
This doesnt help OP in the slightest. He wants to know how can he get definite answers to his questions before purchasing a home since I would assume his purchase would be contingent on these things being OK'd to be done.

Have an architect on stand-by and double check their findings with your real estate attorney.
Essentially, there is no way anyone including the municipality can answer her questions given the information which is all hypothetical and lacking in details. There are codes that need to be met and depending upon the variables costs will decline or rise.

The only option is to go to the individual municipality and ask for "rough" answers. However, since she doesn't own the property, she can't do that. The devil is in the details. For example, if you put an addition on and put vinyl sheet flooring your assessment will be less than if you put hardwood flooring down in Nassau County. Just way too much nf missing to give a valid answer to the questions.
I will also add that the OP has stated that she will wait the market out to get a "fairer deal" and may even look off Long Island. What prices get quoted today would be useless 2 years from now.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Best to speak to a local architect that does business in that town. They will know most, if not all, of your questions.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 45,316 times
Quote:

Speak to a local Architect or permit expediter. Also if possible, get a copy of the survey and take it to the Building Department where you are buying the house. I find most of them are accomodating when someone is asking general questions - but you are not going to get specific answers to how much taxes will go up...

Also - if you can get to go to the town, Zoning codes are public information also, all available online. Find out the zone by calling the building department and you can either look them up or the person on the phone may be able to tell you the basic front, rear, side yard setback info

Old 10-02-2017, 03:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:

The answers will vary based upon the Town you're looking to buy in, and, if the home is in an incorporated village, might vary based upon the village's requirements. You can get some of these answers from the town or village. Other answers will require more knowledge of the structure itself.

Some areas we've been in required permits for new windows. Others had limitations as to roofing color. Setbacks will vary. We've seen one client who cleared a few too many trees on his property and then was at the mercy of a capricious local board.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: