Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 PM

32 posts, read 22,648 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to convert from oil to natural gas. My plumber said it's not beneficial to use high efficiency (>90%) than regular boiler (80% or 85%?). He said the weather here, on Long Island, will make high efficiency boilers much less efficient, just lightly higher than regular ones. So he suggest we just purchase a regular boiler. He is definitely professional and experienced, but is this the truth that high efficiency boilers yield much lower efficiency than advertised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 08:42 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
The regular boiler is fine. They pitched the high efficiency boiler to me also, for an extra $900. No go. It would take more than a decade to get paid back.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:01 PM

615 posts, read 448,602 times
Definitely get regular boiler. You have a rarity, an honest contractor.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:39 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
The big question - it’s 2am and the heat goes out. Which one is easiest to service and get parts for?

Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The big question - it’s 2am and the heat goes out. Which one is easiest to service and get parts for?
Both models are equally easy. Also, gas heating systems rarely get clogged or need cleaning. New equipment rarely breaks down and you'll love the conversion. Converting was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Both models are equally easy. Also, gas heating systems rarely get clogged or need cleaning. New equipment rarely breaks down and you'll love the conversion. Converting was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Except when you can’t get NG without tens of thousands of upfront to get pipe run

Old 11-08-2017, 06:59 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
I love the "expert" opinions here. How is a high efficiency bolier less efficient on Long island? This makes no sense. If installed properly, it will save $. It takes up less space, and for $900 more than a regular model, I would jump on it.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Except when you can’t get NG without tens of thousands of upfront to get pipe run
The utility ran the pipeline to my house for free. They do that to attain a new customer.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:13 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Ditto. Thank GOD I’m free from oil. And my heating bills are much cheaper!

Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyblue View Post
I'm planning to convert from oil to natural gas. My plumber said it's not beneficial to use high efficiency (>90%) than regular boiler (80% or 85%?). He said the weather here, on Long Island, will make high efficiency boilers much less efficient, just lightly higher than regular ones. So he suggest we just purchase a regular boiler. He is definitely professional and experienced, but is this the truth that high efficiency boilers yield much lower efficiency than advertised?
High efficiency boilers are better, in the proper environment. All boilers tend to run at less efficiency that advertised because they are tested in laboratory and optimal conditions.

There are a ton of factors that affect your boiler and how it operates, including how you personally use your home and what your thermostat is set at.

The quick answer is: if your home is not new construction, a standard boiler will be a better option for you.

You can easily use the price difference in boilers in purchasing insulation and preforming weatherization to your home. Much bigger bang for your buck.

I will say that you must install a stainless steel chimney liner if your boiler will be using your old masonry chimney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: