Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM

87 posts, read 270,541 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering what to look for when househunting so that I don't find a hidden mold problem, and what areas/types of homes might have it? A friend of mine just found out her home has black mold, which was the cause of her family's and even cat's symptoms. It originally came from a window that was not repaired properly that leaked into the drywall and was near the duct system in the house thus eventually putting the mold spores through the entire house. It was not obvious on the surface. It was a bad infestation and they've had to vacate their home to remediate and may not return as she's very sensitive. They may sell it once they've fixed it.

Meanwhile, as a lifetime city dweller, I really don't even know what to look for and know that awareness of this issue is not always high. What should I look for around windows, in basements, in terms of the property itself, and the insulation etc? What about in bathrooms (I understand that, if the grouting is not re-sealed every few years, water can seep through the tiles and then one can get mold behind the tiles. One could clean the surface with bleach and an outsider would never see anything or know when househunting).

I just read a few interesting threads--one about the poor couple who did not have a good inspector, and who bought a house with a totally wrecked cesspool from tree roots, costing them lots of $ to fix. And then there was an interesting discussion on aluminum wire in homes on Long Island. What years was poor aluminum wiring used?

What other possible problems should I be on the lookout for? Especially what should I look for in a roof, which can leak? I have no knowledge of roofs.

I looked last fall just to familiarize myself and am now looking more seriously as the market is soft and a good time to buy.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Interesting story, I feel for you friend, my company does mold inspections and there are some very bad stories that I have been involved with. With that said, i think there is a panic with mold and homeowners/buyers. Its rare that a home has such infestation of mold. 80% of mold can be noticed by a "musty" smell or by vision. Looking for a well maintained home with a dry basement is the key to a health home. Mold needs water to grow so keep the building free of water penetration is the key. A smelly wet basement is a cause for concern.

Try to stay away from flat roofs, SOmetime you can determine how many layer there are (should only be 2). Older homes have issues with the oringinal layer being cedar shakes. Thats a costly issue.

Aluminum wiring was used between 1965-1975 and is typically found on the North Shore of Suffolk and mid island of Nassau. A buyer typically cannot tell if a house has aluminum wiring unless you start opening electrical boxes (not recommended). Some times you can read the word aluminum of AL on the wiring if exposed.

Bathrooms should have mechanical ventilation to prevent moisture build up.

As an insprector I rather see a well maintained house with decor fro the late fifties than a newly decorated house that has not been maintained. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM

87 posts, read 270,541 times
Default Thanks KB

I noticed your other posts and bookmarked you for future ref.

If a basement is unfinished, it often tends to smell a bit. In that case, anything in particular I should look for?

Yes I did at least know about flat roofs . A friend of mine in Hampton Bays had a flat roof and it had some bad leaks.

What are cedar shakes? What years were those used?

Thanks again I love this forum.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:38 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Unfinsihed basements are good for the inspector because we can see alot.

There is also little sheetrock for mold to grow on.

If you look at the foundation wall and see white powder lines, its an indication of water penetration. Alittle in the corners is OK but anything more can be an issue. Look for any rust marks on the floor from racks or paint cans, give you an indication of prior flooding.

Cedar shakes are old housing from the 1930's. If you look in the attic you will see wood shakes where plywood or wood planks are typically used as roof sheathing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: