Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 02:36 PM

107 posts, read 234,891 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've been responding in other peoples threads but I think it may be better to make my own thread.

We have a ~1900 sq ft. small Colonial with oil heat + hot water currently. We do have gas pipes running to boiler area in basement for gas laundry dryer + cooking. Therefore, perhaps our conversion from oil to gas would be simpler since the pipes are already ran there (maybe swap out the boiler + some chimney liner?).

My oil contract just ended so I figure now may be a good time to change to gas. May I ask for some recommendations for people who recently did the conversion from oil to gas? Both companies as well as what kind of burner to get (I'm looking at Navien tankless or gas boiler + indirect hot water). Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:25 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
Hi All,

I've been responding in other peoples threads but I think it may be better to make my own thread.

We have a ~1900 sq ft. small Colonial with oil heat + hot water currently. We do have gas pipes running to boiler area in basement for gas laundry dryer + cooking. Therefore, perhaps our conversion from oil to gas would be simpler since the pipes are already ran there (maybe swap out the boiler + some chimney liner?).

My oil contract just ended so I figure now may be a good time to change to gas. May I ask for some recommendations for people who recently did the conversion from oil to gas? Both companies as well as what kind of burner to get (I'm looking at Navien tankless or gas boiler + indirect hot water). Thank you all in advance.
I had the same exact situation as you, i had the gas lines right next to the boiler so only plumbing needed was to the new boiler conversion and gas hot water heater, also had a liner put in. You do have to have the correct size line in your laundry room though, but chances are you do.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:37 PM

107 posts, read 234,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I had the same exact situation as you, i had the gas lines right next to the boiler so only plumbing needed was to the new boiler conversion and gas hot water heater, also had a liner put in. You do have to have the correct size line in your laundry room though, but chances are you do.
Ah cool, so may I ask roughly how much it cost (I know there is a lot of variables, but just to get a ballpark) and how long it took to do the work (2-3 days)? Thank you.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:19 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Expect estimates to be $7K - $10K. If you go with a combi tankless system, it's usually $1,000 more than the traditional gas boiler and hot water tank. The work will take only 1-2 days since you have gas in the house already.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:43 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Figure $7-10k

I like Burnham or Weil Mclain boilers with a SuperStor tank.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:33 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
Ah cool, so may I ask roughly how much it cost (I know there is a lot of variables, but just to get a ballpark) and how long it took to do the work (2-3 days)? Thank you.
Cost me about 5k, that’s including new water heater, liner, oil tank removal, plumbing, and converting the oil boiler to gas (I did not get a brand new gas boiler). Had I gone with a new boiler it would have been a little over 8k as I recall. It was a 2 day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: