Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 17,286 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I have decided that we are tired of living in queens and would like to move out to Long Island to have more space, better schools, and just an overall nicer quality of life. The only problem is we cant seem to settle on an area. Most important to us is very good school district as we have young boys. Next we would like to buy a new construction, our budget is around 1 million. We would like to keep taxes around 20kish max. Also my husband commutes into queens daily for work so not too far out for his drive every day. Can anyone recommend us some places we should look into? Can anyone shed some light on the plainview/syosset area? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 AM

732 posts, read 884,877 times
Syosset is a good school district but further away from Queens. I suggest looking into Jericho, Manhasset, Garden City, Roslyn, Great Neck or Herricks.

I think all new construction will probably be over 20k in taxes for a large home.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 AM

14,058 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3boys719 View Post
Hi everyone. My husband and I have decided that we are tired of living in queens and would like to move out to Long Island to have more space, better schools, and just an overall nicer quality of life. The only problem is we cant seem to settle on an area. Most important to us is very good school district as we have young boys. Next we would like to buy a new construction, our budget is around 1 million. We would like to keep taxes around 20kish max. Also my husband commutes into queens daily for work so not too far out for his drive every day. Can anyone recommend us some places we should look into? Can anyone shed some light on the plainview/syosset area? Thank you so much.
Greenwich, Connecticut you will pay less taxes than Long Island. The schools are one of best in CT, lower property taxes, 38 min commute to NYC by express Metro North train, big space, parks and quiet.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
There is not much new construction in Nassau...

Old 03-13-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There is not much new construction in Nassau...
That is why I specifically asked about syosset/Plainview, we seem to be finding many new constructions within our price range. Our current home is approx 2000 square feet on a 40x100 lot...these homes I am seeing are 3400 square feet on huge (by queens standards lol) lots. To me it seems almost to good to be true that there are actually nice affordable neighborhoods out there with good schools within a decent proximity to the city. Is there anything to be wary of in that part of the island? I know places like Manhasset are great but they are just so expensive, we are really looking to dramatically change our quality of life, seems like we'd be in the same boat around great neck/Manhasset area.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
^ there are new construction ~$1mil houses going up in Plainview all the time these days. Many have sold at $800-$900k. The lots will be about 100x60 and upwards of 3k sqft. The area is exactly what you're looking for - good schools & safe while being close enough to Queens and quick access to all highways. Have to watch out for taxes though, as they will not stop at 20k for long. It's interesting you call it affordable - the skewed taxes are a huge drain on all of our pockets regardless of income. Syosset has slightly better schools if you go by rankings and scores, but I don't know about their new-housing stock. Feel free to PM me for specific area questions.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
That is why I specifically asked about syosset/Plainview, we seem to be finding many new constructions within our price range. Our current home is approx 2000 square feet on a 40x100 lot...these homes I am seeing are 3400 square feet on huge (by queens standards lol) lots. To me it seems almost to good to be true that there are actually nice affordable neighborhoods out there with good schools within a decent proximity to the city. Is there anything to be wary of in that part of the island? I know places like Manhasset are great but they are just so expensive, we are really looking to dramatically change our quality of life, seems like we'd be in the same boat around great neck/Manhasset area.
Not really other than people can be snooty and there's a bit of a 'keeping up with joneses' attitude.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
There are 14 new construction homes currently for sale in Plainview. Plus I am aware of at least 2 more that will be on the horizion. All these homes where originally small ranches or capes there were razed for the new home. 1mm will absolutely get you new construction in Plainview, Syosset that could be a stretch. Taxes 20k max is probably not going to happen. Don't listen to the realtor or builder they will both lie to you. When they say taxes 12k that was on the old 1200 sq ft cape not the new home. Usually the true taxes won't appear for 1-2 years after closing.

Both Syosset and Plainview are fine, Syosset has much more overall wealth in it's schools due to North Syosset, Muttontown and some of the wealthy north shore ares that are zoned for there schools. You can't go wrong with either, I looked at both towns.

This house is around 10k w/ star a quick glance at the county site it looks like starting in October for the 18/19 tax year it's going to be around 31-32k w/ star. After the win the grievance my bet is it will be 25-26k
http://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale/...1803-182441464

Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,820,982 times
I doubt you will get new construction on a Syosset home for $1 mil. There are homes that have a Syosset address but are Hicksville schools, be very careful since you are not familiar with the area.

$1 mm in Plainview, unreal. Good luck with your home search.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Thank you for the advice! We will be eliminating our mortgage and tuitions by moving so essentially we will just be paying taxes, our taxes on our home now are just over 10k in queens! So many things to consider...So stressful. Sometimes I wish we could just jump ship and head out of state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island